U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 599 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I have lurked around these threads for some time now, and have finally decided to register and post because I am in need of your lovely collective assistance. I have read endless threads where you all help people who are moving to the Syracuse area, like myself, and would really appreciate some advice for my particular situation. I realize that a lot of these points have been covered elsewhere, so sorry for the redundancy, but at this point in my search I'm just staring at a million browser tabs and not registering a single thing. So, I'm trying to step back and start with the basics. I apologize in advance... I'm a rambler!

Okay, so I'm looking to move relatively soon; I just have to pack and wrap up a few loose ends. And I'm a single young person living with my parents, so I don't exactly have much to pack. My budget is $600 a month, with ALL utilities included. I'm okay with having some in my name, but the total monthly expense has to be under $600. I know that sounds low, but it seems like there are a lot of places in a remarkably low range. A one bedroom is preferable, but I'd be okay in a studio as well as long as it has at least a minimal kitchen (stove, fridge, sink, and if I'm feeling extravagant room to, you know, cook). The big thing for me is safety, as I'm single and female and not one of those secret martial artists types. Basically a wimp. And I don't have a dog or even an angry cat, so no protective pets.

Here's my main conundrum- I currently live a couple of hours away, so I'd like to avoid endless trips back and forth to look at apartments. If at all plausible, I was thinking my best bet would be to do a short term rental (weekly or monthly, no long term leases) while I look for both work and a full time apartment to rent. I was thinking this would also help with the small issue of me not being employed. I'm not overly concerned about finding work once I'm there (unless I should be...), but there's no way for me to manage long distance job hunting and most of the places I'd consider for permanent housing need proof of income (bah humbug). Which leads me to some other concerns... I'm only 20, have no rental history/landlord references, and my credit is on the low end of the 700s. I know I'd be a great tenant, but I honestly have no idea how difficult it'll be to convince landlords of that. I realize that on paper I'm not the best bet, but at the same time my internet searches give me the impression that there are seemingly endless rentals available. Is it more competitive than it appears online? A lot of those generic 'how to snag the apartment of your dreams' articles suggest putting together a rental resume and so on, but is that overkill? I have the funds to cover at least 5 months rent, but will just paying the first and last months' rent and a deposit be enough?

So I guess what I'm asking is if it's a good idea to do the temporary thing, or if it'll be nigh impossible to find a place that'll rent to someone in my situation on such a temporary basis. There are places like this free rent-Studio Apt.-All utilities included on Craigslist, but are they super sketchy/harder to get into than I think? I haven't made calls or anything yet, because I've researched so much at this point that I no longer know what I'm doing Basically I just need a launching point- somewhere to sleep in relative peace while I apartment/job hunt, without the fees of a hotel room. And I'd really prefer for all utilities to be included at least with a temp place, since it'd be silly to go through all the paperwork and hassle only to move out in a few weeks/months. I'm okay with just a mini-fridge/microwave situation on a temporary basis, too, so nothing extravagant is needed. And I do have a car (his name is Stanley), so I don't have to be smack in the middle of Syracuse. In the long run I'd actually prefer to be in a more rural area because frankly I hate cities, but it seems like a lot of the suburbs are out of my price range.

Oh, and in case it matters or anyone is exceptionally interested, I'm planning on going to SUNY ESF in the fall, assuming I can work at horribly paying jobs hard enough to fund it. I'm mostly experienced in office work and some small-time bookkeeping, but if I get desperate enough I can always settle for retail or a gas station or something (which will kill my soul, but that's the price we pay).

Phew. Okay. Sorry again, for the rambling and gambling and all that jazz. Thank you all so very much, even just for reading my novelette. 'Tis much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 01:23 PM

56,770 posts, read 81,126,018 times
You could look here: Syracuse University Rent Apartment Housing

This information may help too: SUNY-ESF: SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry

Old 01-10-2015, 01:27 PM

357 posts, read 838,092 times
I would try Orange Housing Syracuse University Rent Apartment Housing They might be your best bet to find something that you are looking for and because a lot of students rent through them I don't think many of the management places require credit history. Also with your price range you might really need to consider a roommate situation. Some of the apartments on orange housing are community living spaces but your own rooms. For example this one is everything included for $450 but you would need to share it Orange Housing - Classified Listings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or