Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:18 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity and similar to what a thread that was started in the Long Island forum, who is the best athlete or athletes to come from the Syracuse area? There are some that come to mind, but I was curious as to who comes to your mind, if you are familiar with any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 01:45 PM

I guess I'll start it off.....A few that came to mind are: Dorsey Levens(Nottingham, Notre Dame/Georgia Tech and the Packers/NY Giants) good Basketball player that had great jumping ability at 6"2' which allowed him to play PF. Won a Super Bowl with the Green Bay Packers.

Mike Hart(Onondaga Central, Michigan and Colts) also a solid Basketball player that is 2nd out of all HS Football players in US history in rushing while playing half or 2/3 of games. Lost only 1 game in HS career, won 3 state championships and is the University of Michigan's all time rusher as well. Went to a Super Bowl with the Indianapolis Colts.

Greg Paulus(Christian Brothers Academy and Duke Basketball/Syracuse Football) was Gatorade National Player of the year that led CBA to a state Football championship and a state Class AA final four appearance. Started 4 years at Point Guard for Duke and 1 year at QB for Syracuse. Had tryout with the New Orleans Saints.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:22 PM

Another person that came to mind is Breanna Stewart(Cicero-North Syracuse and current UConn Women's Basketball player) at 6"5' and a 7"1' wingspan, was one of, if not the most dominant HS Basketball player in the area. Won a couple of state titles and the Gatorade National Player of the Year. Has already won a National Championship, a NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player award and a National Player of the Year award.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:11 AM

201 posts, read 298,400 times
I didn't know Dorsey Levens was from the area. Great Packer! Go PACK Go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I guess I'll start it off.....A few that came to mind are: Dorsey Levens(Nottingham, Notre Dame/Georgia Tech and the Packers/NY Giants) good Basketball player that had great jumping ability at 6"2' which allowed him to play PF. Won a Super Bowl with the Green Bay Packers.

Mike Hart(Onondaga Central, Michigan and Colts) also a solid Basketball player that is 2nd out of all HS Football players in US history in rushing while playing half or 2/3 of games. Lost only 1 game in HS career, won 3 state championships and is the University of Michigan's all time rusher as well. Went to a Super Bowl with the Indianapolis Colts.

Greg Paulus(Christian Brothers Academy and Duke Basketball/Syracuse Football) was Gatorade National Player of the year that led CBA to a state Football championship and a state Class AA final four appearance. Started 4 years at Point Guard for Duke and 1 year at QB for Syracuse. Had tryout with the New Orleans Saints.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthedream View Post
I didn't know Dorsey Levens was from the area. Great Packer! Go PACK Go!!!
Yes and he was also a good Basketball player, that played on some very good Nottingham teams that also had Jason Buchanan, who went on to play at St. John's and Craig Caldwell, a PG that was on varsity in 7th grade and played at Cleveland State. All 3 were on the 1987 Class B state public and Federation championship team, with the latter coming against NYC Catholic Basketball power Christ the King. I forgot that he was a Pro Bowler and played for the Eagles too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-11-2015 at 08:32 AM..

Old 03-12-2015, 12:32 PM

60 posts, read 109,820 times
Carmen Basilio, world champion

Old 03-12-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumseig View Post
Carmen Basilio, world champion
Good one and not bad for a former Onion farmer from Canastota.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:16 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Well he's not from Syracuse. He was born in Brooklyn, NY and grew up in Baltimore, MD. But Carmelo Anthony did play one year of b-ball at Syracuse University and led the team to the NCAA championship in 2003.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:35 PM

I guess if we look at Basketball players actually from here, Andray Blatche is the most recent. He played on the state Class AA public championship team from Henninger High in 2002, which lost to Rice by 6 in the Federation Championship. He played prep ball at South Kent for a year, then was drafted in the 2nd round by the Washington Wizards. He played in Washington for about 7 years and played for the Nets for a couple more years. He's now playing pro ball in China.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:31 AM

37 posts, read 132,610 times
Dorsey Levens is a good one. I'd add in former NFL corner Will Allen. He graduated from Corcoran (and SU) was a 1st Round pick (2001-22nd overall to the Giants), and went on to have an 11 year career, playing for the Giants and Dolphins. He also was signed by New England for 2012, but was placed on IR before the season started and did not play.

I wouldn't put him on the list yet, but someone to keep an eye on is Patrick Corbin. He's a CNS grad, and currently a starting pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks. He missed all of 2014 after having Tommy John surgery, but before the surgery he was supposed to be the Dbacks opening day starter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area