Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:09 PM

5 posts, read 6,484 times

Advertisements

Considering a possible relocation to either Manlius, Camillus, or Jamesville areas.
Have an 11 and 7 year old that play lacrosse, basketball and swimming. Lacrosse is the favorite. Sports and academics are important to us. We prefer new construction and in the $350k-$375k range. Would like some shopping and a gym in the vicinity. I will be working in the downtown area and husband is still looking. Children are currently in a small catholic school, so a large school may be a slight culture shock, but Im hopeful they will adapt quickly. Any thoughts and input are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 06:46 PM

93,157 posts, read 123,754,884 times
If Lacrosse is the sport of choice, then Camillus(West Genesee SD) is probably the way to go. West Genny is a very good school district academically and is known on a national level for its very good Lacrosse program. There is plenty of shopping in the town and for gym options you have Pine Grove and Aspen.

West Genesee is the 4th or 5th biggest school district in the Syracuse area and the HS is the 3rd or 4th biggest in the area. So, the size factor may come into play. However, there are Pre K-12 Catholic school options within the school district by way of Holy Family Elementary School and Bishop Ludden Jr/Sr High School. Ludden also has a Lacrosse program which they sponsor and share with Bishop Grimes. Ludden is known for its Boys Basketball program on a state level as well.

West Genny also has a usually solid Basketball program and they do have a swimming program.

What makes this tough is that Fayetteville-Manlius and Jamesville-DeWitt are probably next in line in regards to Boys Lacrosse in the area and are very good school districts. J-D also has a very good Basketball program that has won about 4 Class A state titles and has sent about 7 players to Division 1 programs in recent years. F-M is a pretty good program in Class AA(biggest class in the state). Both have swimming programs.

Fayetteville has the East Area YMCA and the Jewish Community Center, as well as Gold's Gym are in DeWitt.

There are Pre K-12 Catholic school options within J-D by way of Holy Cross Elementary and Christian Brothers Academy. There's also Manlius-Pebble Hill a non affiliated Pre K-12 school within that district. Fayetteville has Immaculate Conception Elementary School.

J-D is the smallest district of the 3 districts with about 2800-2900 students. F-M has about 4300-4400 students and West Genny has about 5700-5800 students.

A reason why I mentioned the private schools is due to potential transfer reasons related to sports. If you transfer from a private school within your public school district, you do not have to sit out, but if you do the opposite, I believe you may have to sit out. This website explains this at the bottom, but I'll have to check that to make sure: Military Families

As for newer homes within that price range, this may help: Property Search Results

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-18-2015 at 07:22 PM..

Old 03-19-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If Lacrosse is the sport of choice, then Camillus(West Genesee SD) is probably the way to go. West Genny is a very good school district academically and is known on a national level for its very good Lacrosse program. There is plenty of shopping in the town and for gym options you have Pine Grove and Aspen.

West Genesee is the 4th or 5th biggest school district in the Syracuse area and the HS is the 3rd or 4th biggest in the area. So, the size factor may come into play. However, there are Pre K-12 Catholic school options within the school district by way of Holy Family Elementary School and Bishop Ludden Jr/Sr High School. Ludden also has a Lacrosse program which they sponsor and share with Bishop Grimes. Ludden is known for its Boys Basketball program on a state level as well.

West Genny also has a usually solid Basketball program and they do have a swimming program.

What makes this tough is that Fayetteville-Manlius and Jamesville-DeWitt are probably next in line in regards to Boys Lacrosse in the area and are very good school districts. J-D also has a very good Basketball program that has won about 4 Class A state titles and has sent about 7 players to Division 1 programs in recent years. F-M is a pretty good program in Class AA(biggest class in the state). Both have swimming programs.

Fayetteville has the East Area YMCA and the Jewish Community Center, as well as Gold's Gym are in DeWitt.

There are Pre K-12 Catholic school options within J-D by way of Holy Cross Elementary and Christian Brothers Academy. There's also Manlius-Pebble Hill a non affiliated Pre K-12 school within that district. Fayetteville has Immaculate Conception Elementary School.

J-D is the smallest district of the 3 districts with about 2800-2900 students. F-M has about 4300-4400 students and West Genny has about 5700-5800 students.

A reason why I mentioned the private schools is due to potential transfer reasons related to sports. If you transfer from a private school within your public school district, you do not have to sit out, but if you do the opposite, I believe you may have to sit out. This website explains this at the bottom, but I'll have to check that to make sure: Military Families

As for newer homes within that price range, this may help: Property Search Results
Just to clear something up, the JCC is in DeWitt, as the way it was written made it appear that it was in Fayetteville.

As for shopping, there is the Towne Center at Fayetteville in Fayetteville. DeWitt has shopping along Erie Boulevard East including Shoppingtown Mall, which has seen more vibrant days and has plans for development. Camillus has Fairmount Fair, Camillus Commons, the new and developing Township 5 and stores on West Genesee Street, as well as some around Milton Ave/Hinsdale Rd.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Here's some information about West Genesee Boys Lacrosse: Mike Messere is king of lacrosse coaches with 757 wins, 15 state titles - MaxPreps

About the West Genesee

A correction in regards to J-D Basketball. They have won 5 NYSPHSAA Class A state titles(2004, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011) and 2 state Class A Federation titles(2004 and 2008) in recent years. They also won on the state level in 1977 and 1990.

Here is some more information on each the athletic program of each district: Athletics Home -* West Genesee School District - Camillus, NY

Jamesville Dewitt School District

Athletics

and for the private schools mentioned: Bishop Ludden Junior/Senior High School

http://www.cbasyracuse.org/athletics...tics-overview/

Athletics - Manlius Pebble Hill School

Something to keep in mind is that Basketball and swimming are both during the winter.

If you are still open to a similar school to what your children attend now, but with each of the mentioned districts, here are the websites for each of those schools: Immaculate Conception School

Holy Cross School

Holy Family School of Syracuse

Old 03-20-2015, 08:18 AM

Thank you for your reply.
After some research and discussions, I think we would like to stay east of I-81, which will rule out W Genny. My daughter's (5th grade) favorite sport is lacrosse (bball and swimming next) ....son's (2nd grade) is Basketball (Lax second). So I'm leaning towards J-D, F-M areas. From the point, the following are our priorities:
-Academics
-Sports
-New Construction
-Commute (close to 481)
-Be able to jog, walk, ride bike in neighborhood (we live on a busy road now and cannot do this)
-Shopping
-$350-$375K range
We are professionals - upper middle class that can adapt to any class of people. That being said, we are not 7 digit incomers, (which is why I am looking in the 350-375 price range), so I would like an area that is relevant. ( My kids most likely will not be driving Range Rovers when they are 16.) So, If I'm overly ambitious and not going to find those attributes in that price range....please let me know that I'm dreaming! Thanks again!

Old 03-20-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyorkernow View Post
After some research and discussions, I think we would like to stay east of I-81, which will rule out W Genny. My daughter's (5th grade) favorite sport is lacrosse (bball and swimming next) ....son's (2nd grade) is Basketball (Lax second). So I'm leaning towards J-D, F-M areas. From the point, the following are our priorities:
-Academics
-Sports
-New Construction
-Commute (close to 481)
-Be able to jog, walk, ride bike in neighborhood (we live on a busy road now and cannot do this)
-Shopping
-$350-$375K range
We are professionals - upper middle class that can adapt to any class of people. That being said, we are not 7 digit incomers, (which is why I am looking in the 350-375 price range), so I would like an area that is relevant. ( My kids most likely will not be driving Range Rovers when they are 16.) So, If I'm overly ambitious and not going to find those attributes in that price range....please let me know that I'm dreaming! Thanks again!
If you don't mind me asking, where would you be working in Downtown? I only ask because you can take Route 695 to I-690 to Downtown from Camillus. So, it is possible to get to Downtown quickly from Camillus via a highway.

That price range would allow you to live anywhere in the area. In my opinion, that type of high end lifestyle will be more prevalent in the F-M and J-D school districts, relatively speaking and probably in that order. However, you will have a range within both of those districts(more so in J-D economically and culturally). Camillus/West Genesee will be more solidly middle class while being nice.

All of these districts will have neighborhoods where you can do these activities, but out of the three, F-M has 2 walkable villages. That will eliminate the newer construction aspect though.

F-M is generally the highest ranked district academically according publications like a Buffalo Business First, with J-D not far behind and West Genny not much further behind J-D.

West Genny also has a very good Girls Lacrosse program that has won multiple state titles. F-M and J-D also has good Girls Lacrosse programs. Girls swimming is in the Fall and there wouldn't be any interference in regards to the sports your daughter is interested in.

With all of this said, in my opinion, I'd go with J-D. I say this due to your criteria/wanting to be east of I-81 and the diversity of the district economically and culturally(race/ethnicity/religiously), while being a district of very high quality academically and athletically. Jamesville Dewitt School District

Also, are you open to other school districts?

Old 03-20-2015, 09:24 AM

I will be working in the Federal Building Clinton St Downtown, Husband may be working at the Airport, thus my idea to stay near 481. Yes, I am open to other school districts if you think there is a better fit. Also, Husband is coming from a rural area and perfers outdoor activities (fishing, duck hunting, etc) but is willing to adapt to urban if it equates to a better life academics/sports for his children. Something else to keep in mind. Thanks again for your time!

Old 03-20-2015, 09:48 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,996,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyorkernow View Post
-Academics
-Sports
-New Construction
-Commute (close to 481)
-Shopping
-$350-$375K range
All of those school districts have solid academics. There are a few newer developments that are still building that would probably fit the bill. City Lights (and others nearby) on 173 west of Jamesville, Boulder Heights in DeWitt (off Jamesville Rd near exit from 481) or some of the developments off of Peck Hill Road in Dewitt.

From what you describe you can probably find what you're looking for. The two developments I named are minutes from 481; Peck Hill Road area is more or less just west/northwest of Boulder Heights. But Dewitt under J-D schools is probably a solid choice for you and perfectly achievable. Most of the development over there is smaller scale or infill, rather than brand new development at this point - but it's findable. I know they're building a few houses over near Christian Brothers Academy (off Randall Road, just north of that area) which may suit as well. At the southern tip of Peck Hill, they're also building more in a development whose name escapes me at the moment... Applecross? something like that.

$350-375k can buy an awful lot of house depending on the area, though new construction less so. I know the City Lights plans start in the upper 200s somewhere.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
All of those school districts have solid academics. There are a few newer developments that are still building that would probably fit the bill. City Lights (and others nearby) on 173 west of Jamesville, Boulder Heights in DeWitt (off Jamesville Rd near exit from 481) or some of the developments off of Peck Hill Road in Dewitt.

From what you describe you can probably find what you're looking for. The two developments I named are minutes from 481; Peck Hill Road area is more or less just west/northwest of Boulder Heights. But Dewitt under J-D schools is probably a solid choice for you and perfectly achievable. Most of the development over there is smaller scale or infill, rather than brand new development at this point - but it's findable. I know they're building a few houses over near Christian Brothers Academy (off Randall Road, just north of that area) which may suit as well. At the southern tip of Peck Hill, they're also building more in a development whose name escapes me at the moment... Applecross? something like that.

$350-375k can buy an awful lot of house depending on the area, though new construction less so. I know the City Lights plans start in the upper 200s somewhere.
^This and this area of the J-D district is a drive south on Janesville Road/Route 91 to rural areas for outdoor activities. I believe that Applecross Woods is the name of that development, btw.

I was going to mention the Onondaga Hill portion of the Westhill SD, but it is west of I-81(eventhough a drive across the Valley neighborhood takes you to 481 and 81) and I'm not sure if there is still combined Girls Swimming team with Corcoran High/Syracuse City. It is a very good SD and has about 2000 students in the whole district. It also has very good sports programs in the sports they are interested in.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:22 PM

Here is a list of homes within your budget in the county that have been built in this millennium: Property Search Results

Also, if you are still open to Camillus, in order to get to the airport from there, you can take 695 to I-690 east to Hiawatha Boulevard to I-81 north. I only mention Camillus due to seeing some newer homes at lower prices.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-22-2015 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area