U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:42 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Data for Great Schools goes back to 2006 and the passage rate was 89% and has since risen to the 90s, well above the state average. My cousin went to Mott Road around 2005 and seemed to have adjusted well. The school is rated 9 out of 10 which is very comprable to many high achieving schools in Fairfield and Westchester counties.
That's what I thought. I would find it very hard to believe that Mott Road would have a test passage percentage at 55% for any test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 06:03 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,976,700 times
It definitely was shocking. There was an article about it, in the Post Standard, in 2004 or '05. Then my cousin's lackluster academics became more clear. lol - or maybe he and his friends brought down the entire average? :P

Old 04-06-2010, 11:07 AM

161 posts, read 320,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It looks like Mott Road stepped it's game up: Mott Road Elementary School Test Scores - Fayetteville, New York - NY

Again, I think all schools of any decent size will have cliques. So, completely avoiding that would be pretty hard to do. I wouldn't be surprised if the private schools in the area, regardless of affiliation, would have some as well.

By the way, here's information on the Westhill SD: Test Scores for Westhill Central School District | GreatSchools
Westhill School District
onondaga hill middle school syracuse, ny - Google Maps
westhill high school syracuse, ny - Google Maps
walberta park elementary school syracuse, ny - Google Maps
cherry road elementary school syracuse, ny - Google Maps
I grew up in Onondaga Hill and its definitely an either/or kind of place. Its a great area but has no real center, but the neighborhoods tend to be fairly upscale once you leave the valley (Nedrow). Whats nice about it is that its 10min from the country and 10min from downtown, although you have to drive through the worst area of the city to get there so quick. Theres nothing unsafe about that drive though, its just ugly.

I graduated from Westill 8 years ago and went to an Ivy for college. So did 7 others from my graduating class. Its a straight middle class school, not too many rich and not very many poor either. However, I was always jealous of my friends who lived in Westvale because they seemed to have a much tighter community. The houses are closer together, there's sidewalks, and it was safe enough for kids to wander around in the evening. Its also right next to the city, 10 minutes max on W. Gennesee Street and you don't have to drive by any crack houses .

I'm younger, so I like more urban environments. I don't like the eastern suburbs because it just feels like endless suburbs and shopping centers to me, but again its mostly due to my age. I worked in Manlius for 2 summers and hated it.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 PM

103 posts, read 177,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflow1983 View Post
I grew up in Onondaga Hill and its definitely an either/or kind of place. Its a great area but has no real center, but the neighborhoods tend to be fairly upscale once you leave the valley (Nedrow). Whats nice about it is that its 10min from the country and 10min from downtown, although you have to drive through the worst area of the city to get there so quick. Theres nothing unsafe about that drive though, its just ugly.

I graduated from Westill 8 years ago and went to an Ivy for college. So did 7 others from my graduating class. Its a straight middle class school, not too many rich and not very many poor either. However, I was always jealous of my friends who lived in Westvale because they seemed to have a much tighter community. The houses are closer together, there's sidewalks, and it was safe enough for kids to wander around in the evening. Its also right next to the city, 10 minutes max on W. Gennesee Street and you don't have to drive by any crack houses .

I'm younger, so I like more urban environments. I don't like the eastern suburbs because it just feels like endless suburbs and shopping centers to me, but again its mostly due to my age. I worked in Manlius for 2 summers and hated it.
Westvale sounds nice. What is the area code for house hunting purposes? Sidewalks and community oriented neighborhoods sound perfect. Westhill schools are generally smaller than F-M and J-D, correct? The small school setting is what appeals to me. So, Westvale is different than Camillus because Camillus goes to W. Genesse schools? Thanks for your comment.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
Westvale sounds nice. What is the area code for house hunting purposes? Sidewalks and community oriented neighborhoods sound perfect. Westhill schools are generally smaller than F-M and J-D, correct? The small school setting is what appeals to me. So, Westvale is different than Camillus because Camillus goes to W. Genesse schools? Thanks for your comment.
This is what I've been trying to tell you, CTwoman(all in love, of course). Westhill is smaller and is on par with the best school districts in the area. I graduated from there 16 years ago and the schools are still very good.

Westvale is more of an older, but still high quality suburb. It's close to the city's Tipperary Hill neighborhood and there is highway access close by. Shopping is right down West Genesee street at Fairmount fair or further into Camillus near West Genesee High School. You can also go to the Carousel Center mall in the city of Syracuse, which is also pretty close to Westvale. You would probably like something like Parsons Drive or Breakspear Rd. and in that area.

Lastly, I will say that going into the city from Onondaga Hill is not immediately "bad". If you go down south ave., it doesn't start getting iffy until past Glenwood Ave. and even then, it doesn't get serious until you get past Elmwood school or the M&T Bank. If you go down into the Valley on Seneca Turnpike, it really isn't bad at all. Once you go north of Seneca Turnpike past Ballentyne Road, then it gets rougher. You also can go down Velasko Road into the city of Syracuse and that part of the city is actually the Strathmore neighborhood and is fine.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:39 PM

161 posts, read 320,315 times
I believe the zip is 13219. Its a nice area, and it doesn't get much attention because all of the new construction is located further outside of the city.

Westhill schools can be as cliquey as the best of them, but in general there were lots of great kids there. The high school was small enough that teachers sometimes know you even if you aren't one of their students. My only complaint is that the area can be TOO local... my parents are from other places and they sometimes felt a little apart because a lot of the other parents had grown up together. On the other hand it also meant that the parents knew each other's kids and kept tabs on us without being overbearing.

I grew up in Spain as a small child, and because Syracuse people aren't the most internationally oriented (stereotype alert!) I had trouble fitting in until I lost my accent in the 2nd or 3rd grade and I always continued to have some cultural maladjustment even as a teenager. Other kids who were new but more "American" in upbringing never seemed to have those problems, FWIW.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflow1983 View Post
I believe the zip is 13219. Its a nice area, and it doesn't get much attention because all of the new construction is located further outside of the city.

Westhill schools can be as cliquey as the best of them, but in general there were lots of great kids there. The high school was small enough that teachers sometimes know you even if you aren't one of their students. My only complaint is that the area can be TOO local... my parents are from other places and they sometimes felt a little apart because a lot of the other parents had grown up together. On the other hand it also meant that the parents knew each other's kids and kept tabs on us without being overbearing.

I grew up in Spain as a small child, and because Syracuse people aren't the most internationally oriented (stereotype alert!) I had trouble fitting in until I lost my accent in the 2nd or 3rd grade and I always continued to have some cultural maladjustment even as a teenager. Other kids who were new but more "American" in upbringing never seemed to have those problems, FWIW.
Yes, the zip is 13219 and keep in mind that some of the 13219 zip code is also considered to be Fairmount, which is in the West Genesee SD and some might be in the Solvay SD north of West Genesee Street.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:54 PM

Here are some Westvale nieghborhoods: salisbury road syracuse, ny - Google Maps

west manchester road syracuse, ny - Google Maps

east granger road syracuse, ny - Google Maps

south terry road syracuse, ny - Google Maps

south terry road syracuse, ny - Google Maps (Actually is West Genesee Street)

south terry road syracuse, ny - Google Maps (Fay Road)

Here's some Onondaga Hill neighborhoods in the Westhill SD: broad road syracuse, ny - Google Maps

broad road syracuse, ny - Google Maps (Makyes and Cleveland Roads)

broad road syracuse, ny - Google Maps (the center of the community)

broad road syracuse, ny - Google Maps (Skyline Drive)

broad road syracuse, ny - Google Maps (Seneca Turnpike/Broad Road)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...329.46,,0,3.94 (entrance to Onondaga Community College)

Old 04-07-2010, 06:35 PM

103 posts, read 177,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is what I've been trying to tell you, CTwoman(all in love, of course). Westhill is smaller and is on par with the best school districts in the area. I graduated from there 16 years ago and the schools are still very good.

Westvale is more of an older, but still high quality suburb. It's close to the city's Tipperary Hill neighborhood and there is highway access close by. Shopping is right down West Genesee street at Fairmount fair or further into Camillus near West Genesee High School. You can also go to the Carousel Center mall in the city of Syracuse, which is also pretty close to Westvale. You would probably like something like Parsons Drive or Breakspear Rd. and in that area.

Lastly, I will say that going into the city from Onondaga Hill is not immediately "bad". If you go down south ave., it doesn't start getting iffy until past Glenwood Ave. and even then, it doesn't get serious until you get past Elmwood school or the M&T Bank. If you go down into the Valley on Seneca Turnpike, it really isn't bad at all. Once you go north of Seneca Turnpike past Ballentyne Road, then it gets rougher. You also can go down Velasko Road into the city of Syracuse and that part of the city is actually the Strathmore neighborhood and is fine.
Thanks, ckh. Coming up in 2 weeks to pick a house. I've been trying to get my house on the market here in CT and I just can't believe how much the market has crashed. We're losing so much, but at least the house prices are reasonable in the Syracuse area.

I'm very excited to move up. So, in the summer, do people join pools, lakes etc? What's there to do during the summer?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
Thanks, ckh. Coming up in 2 weeks to pick a house. I've been trying to get my house on the market here in CT and I just can't believe how much the market has crashed. We're losing so much, but at least the house prices are reasonable in the Syracuse area.

I'm very excited to move up. So, in the summer, do people join pools, lakes etc? What's there to do during the summer?
Look at sports camps either at the high school or area colleges. There are other camps for kids in the area too. Look into town recreation activities.

Here's a good website to look at as well: Family Times is an award-winning magazine with staff-written news, feature stories and artwork that inform and inspire Central New York parents and their children. - Home

Also look at CNY Parent for other possible options too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area