Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 PM

104 posts, read 213,861 times

Advertisements

Ok, everyone. I have been in Syracuse looking for a house for the past week. I love the subdivision of Glen Eagle. I also like Eagle View. We put a bid on a house in Glen Eagle, but right after us someone else did also and we need a plan B. I liked a house in Longmeadow subdivision, but it is far from the schools (that's what I like about Glen Eagle and Eagle View). Am I being too picky about being too far from the schools in Longmeadow? Should I be looking anywhere else? I want to stay under $400K, and be pretty close to the schools. I feel like I am at a disadvantage because all the well priced homes seem to sell quite quickly and I have a week window to find a place. Tomorrow we are looking up in Baldwinsville since we are not having much luck in Manlius. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Regards to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:56 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
Ok, everyone. I have been in Syracuse looking for a house for the past week. I love the subdivision of Glen Eagle. I also like Eagle View. We put a bid on a house in Glen Eagle, but right after us someone else did also and we need a plan B. I liked a house in Longmeadow subdivision, but it is far from the schools (that's what I like about Glen Eagle and Eagle View). Am I being too picky about being too far from the schools in Longmeadow? Should I be looking anywhere else? I want to stay under $400K, and be pretty close to the schools. I feel like I am at a disadvantage because all the well priced homes seem to sell quite quickly and I have a week window to find a place. Tomorrow we are looking up in Baldwinsville since we are not having much luck in Manlius. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Regards to all.
Look possibly at the Winkworth development across the street from Westhill High. Make sure it is in the Westhill SD, as some of it is in the Syracuse City SD.

There are some developments in the Fairmount/Westvale area that are in either the Westhill or West Genesee SD's. Look behind the Dunkin Donuts on West Genesee Street across from Tully's Sports Bar/Restaurant. I can't think of the name of the developments in that area, but they are pretty new and nice. It not too far from Walberta Park Elementary, Cherry Road Elementary or Onondaga Road Elementary(WG SD).

You might like Brittany Hills on Onondaga Hill too. While it's not really close to a school, there are plenty of children in the area and is very nice.

Check out the Parade of Homes website too. There might be some developments you like there as well. Check under the builder's websites for ideas: Parade of Homes The Home Builders and Remodelers Association of Central New York (http://www.hbrcny.com/parade.html - broken link)

Old 04-23-2010, 08:28 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,010 times
I would also look at Bradford Heights, Boulder Heights, and a few other subdivisions in the JD School district. Both are relatively close to Tecumseh Elementary and JD Middle School.

For reference, JD Middle School is at 6280 Randall Road, Jamesville and Tecumseh Elementary is at 901 Nottingham Road, Jamesville.

Here are some listings that may be of interest:

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S230189
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S225962
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S228520
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S219235
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S230136
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S231600

In the West Genesee School district, there are several newer developments adjacent to Camillus Middle School at 5525 Ike Dixon Road. Here are some listings:

http://www.cnyhomes.com/Listing/Sear...?mlnum=S223568
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S229394
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S228221

Also, Pioneer Farms is an upscale subdivision containing homes of varying ages and sizes. East Hill Elementary School at 401 Blackmore Road, Camillus is a 7 to 10 minute walk from most points in the development. West Genesee High School is about 1 mile down West Genesee Street

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S214638
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S229268

You will notice most of the newer homes in suburban Syracuse are not adjacent to the schools as many of the school district buildings were constructed in the 1950s and 1960s and are surrounded by more modest residences constructed during the Post WWII housing boom. Manlius is sort of an anomaly.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I would also look at Bradford Heights, Boulder Heights, and a few other subdivisions in the JD School district. Both are relatively close to Tecumseh Elementary and JD Middle School.

For reference, JD Middle School is at 6280 Randall Road, Jamesville and Tecumseh Elementary is at 901 Nottingham Road, Jamesville.

Here are some listings that may be of interest:

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S230189
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S225962
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S228520
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S219235
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S230136
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S231600

In the West Genesee School district, there are several newer developments adjacent to Camillus Middle School at 5525 Ike Dixon Road. Here are some listings:

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S223568
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S229394
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S228221

Also, Pioneer Farms is an upscale subdivision containing homes of varying ages and sizes. East Hill Elementary School at 401 Blackmore Road, Camillus is a 7 to 10 minute walk from most points in the development. West Genesee High School is about 1 mile down West Genesee Street

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S214638
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S229268

You will notice most of the newer homes in suburban Syracuse are not adjacent to the schools as many of the school district buildings were constructed in the 1950s and 1960s and are surrounded by more modest residences constructed during the Post WWII housing boom. Manlius is sort of an anomaly.
Thank you for these great listings. Thank you also to ckh for your listings. We have actually looked at many of these homes this past week. It worked out and we have our house in Glen Eagle. I really like the close location to the schools and the neighborhood is very nice. I hope we will be happy there.

Thank you to all who have helped me in getting to know the Syracuse area on this board. You are doing a great service to people, like myself, who are new to the area.

Many thanks!

Old 04-24-2010, 08:08 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,734,777 times
Congrats on getting the house! I hope you have good weather for moving... at least it's not winter, which is when we always seemed to move. 300lb. couches, sliding down an icy metal ramp, aren't fun.

And don't forget that there will be a Memorial Day parade in the village, that Monday morning... it's a huge event! You'll be able to really introduce yourself and get to know people.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Congrats on getting the house! I hope you have good weather for moving... at least it's not winter, which is when we always seemed to move. 300lb. couches, sliding down an icy metal ramp, aren't fun.

And don't forget that there will be a Memorial Day parade in the village, that Monday morning... it's a huge event! You'll be able to really introduce yourself and get to know people.
Thanks, proulx! Not sure if we will be in by parade time. I think our closing is in early June. Sounds like fun, though!

Old 04-24-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
Thanks, proulx! Not sure if we will be in by parade time. I think our closing is in early June. Sounds like fun, though!
They have an even bigger parade and more village bbq's/breakfasts/events (like the Stickley Chair Race) on the Fourth of July... hopefully, you'll be settled enough, by then. Don't miss the village's fireworks that night, too- at dusk. *That* is HUGE.

eta: Video of the chair race and the parade... just found it and was excited to see my little brother, who plays bagpipes for the band shown at the beginning, every year! And my kids and siblings are also shown, in the stars/farmers of CNY bits. Fun to see! lol http://videos.syracuse.com/post-stan...bration_i.html

Old 04-24-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
They have an even bigger parade and more village bbq's/breakfasts/events (like the Stickley Chair Race) on the Fourth of July... hopefully, you'll be settled enough, by then. Don't miss the village's fireworks that night, too- at dusk. *That* is HUGE.

eta: Video of the chair race and the parade... just found it and was excited to see my little brother, who plays bagpipes for the band shown at the beginning, every year! And my kids and siblings are also shown, in the stars/farmers of CNY bits. Fun to see! lol Independence Day Celebration in Manlius - Video | Videos From The Post-Standard - syracuse.com
Cute. Were your kids the cows or the stars? That chair race looks like fun! Maybe we'll enter a couch next year! Thanks for the video.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:16 PM

They were all kinds of things... and since I have three small children and seven young siblings (all born every few years, down to two years old), there was a good variety of all the characters. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area