Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:35 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,427,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNomad View Post
thank you that info is very helpful. so how long would the commute be from skaneateles? (and how do you pronounce that?)

i dont mind a small town. i dont mind a rural setting either. i just want a safe, peaceful place that my kids would thrive and learn and be happy. i would prefer to have access to some other larger cities or interesting towns but you cant have everything.

my husband is military and i realize there is no major base up there, but he would be working at the reserve branch in syracuse.
that is why i am asking about the commute time.

i will have to look up the homes on trulia and see how expensive it is.

anyone else who has info i would appreciate hearing it!
I believe the reserve branch is in Mattydale, which is located in the northern burbs. Closest nice suburbs are Cicero, Clay, North Syracuse and Liverpool. Nice places to live, but the school districts are huge and are not in the "Top 5" for the Syracuse area. Skaneateles would be a long commute, maybe about 45 minutes away. I'd check out Baldwinsville, much closer, only about 15 to 20 minutes from Mattydale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 06:14 PM

36 posts, read 140,554 times
Default i appreciate all your help

thank you so much for all of the great info.

i dont know where exactly it is that he would work. it is a little hard to figure out, i would have to ask my husband and i cant as he is in iraq.

it is in syracuse...hard to pinpoint because it is probably a small base that is called a NOSC...i cant remember what that stands for exactly...it may be such a small place that no one even realizes it is there.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:26 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,427,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNomad View Post
thank you so much for all of the great info.

i dont know where exactly it is that he would work. it is a little hard to figure out, i would have to ask my husband and i cant as he is in iraq.

it is in syracuse...hard to pinpoint because it is probably a small base that is called a NOSC...i cant remember what that stands for exactly...it may be such a small place that no one even realizes it is there.
No problem! Glad to help!

Not a big deal, but just so you know the location.... (hope this doesn't confuse you.) Even though the address of the Naval Reserve Center of Syracuse is 5803 E Molloy Rd, Syracuse, NY 13211.... it is indeed located in the Town of Salina, outside the city limits of Syracuse. That part of Salina is named Mattydale.

Salina is in the northern suburbs of Syracuse. Population of Salina is about 33,000. Mattydale is a post WWII suburb of small homes built in the 40s and 50s. It's a safe area, but its a little run-down. There are better suburbs just to the north of Mattydale.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:11 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
Sounds like he may be coming to take over for my son-in-law who's being deployed to Afghanistan (currently at Bragg for training). His unit was staioned at the the Armory which is just a tad to the north of Syraucse University near the hospitals not far from downtown.

You'll find Clay, Cicero, and Liverpool to be a convenient suburban commute or Baldwinsville if you want a village feel.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 01-15-2008 at 07:46 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 09:49 AM

9 posts, read 43,246 times
Default Strathmore- a Great Neighborhood in the City of Syracuse

Hi!
I am the president of the Greater Strathmore Neighborhood Association Strathmore Neighborhood > The Neighborhood Association ( DNN 4.0.2 ) .
I would like to let everyone know about a GREAT neighborhood in Syracuse, NY..Strathmore.
We live in a very fun, social and beautiful historic neighborhood in the city of Syracuse. So Fun...so much to do...There are several groups and organizations of neighbors in Strathmore..The Greater Strathmore Neighborhood Association, The Onondaga Park Association, for the guys; The Strathmore Mens Athletic Club (or SMAC), For the young moms; The Margarita Moms, for the more mature women; Strathmore Ladies Night out. There are 2 Strathmore womens indoor soccer teams. There is a huge church community at Most Holy Rosary Church, We boast a beautiful park surrounding Hiawatha Lake in the center of the neighborhood, Onondaga Park which was designed by the same landscape architect that designed Central Park (NYC). We hold several events in the park including Christmas in Strathmore, The Parks Run 5k race, an annual Fishing Derby, Professional bike races and on Tuesday nights in July, Syracuse Symphony performances in the park. Our kids all learn to swim in the enormous, beautiful park pool (for free) and it is the park of choice for wedding photographers. We also boast two great annual events; Art on the Porches Art on the Porches Home Page and the Strathmore By the Park Tour of Homes.
I can be in the hip downtown area of Armory square for shopping, socializing or dining in less than 5 minutes.
We are in the city of Syracuse school district. JT Roberts school is k-8. It is a beautiful modern building with a great staff and a new, very driven principal Mrs.Kimatian. Our high school is Corcoran High, one of the only schools in the state that offers the prestigious International Baccalauriate Program. Roberts is investigating an elementary IB program in the next 2 years.

In addition to being on the board of the neighborhood Association, I am also a real estate agent with Coldwell Banker Prime Properties. The real estate in Strathmore is great and improving. The houses are large and elegant.

So, I thought I'd try to Summarize Strathmore, but believe it or not, I could go on and on. Come visit some time and take a walk in the park or a drive up Robineau Road...we'd love to have you!

Sue Boyle

Old 01-18-2008, 11:56 AM

36 posts, read 140,554 times
Default thank you thank you thank you

i greatly appreciate all of the info that everyone has posted. i will definitely check into strathmore. i also really enjoyed the bulleted list of all the different neighborhoods that were hilly vs flat; rural vs village; etc etc.

so...everytime i tell someone that our future location may be syracuse, everyone gasps and tells me about the snow.

personally, i like snow...i find it exciting and pretty. does everyone get really miserable with all the snow up there? how bad is it??

Old 01-21-2008, 05:17 AM

97 posts, read 416,917 times
The snow can be bad, but you learn to love it and be proud of it. If you like skiing or sledding you're in the right place. Snow usually lasts from December until mid-March, though there is usually a thaw or two.

Within the City of Syracuse, which everyone here has neglected, the Westcott / University Area and Strathmore are the two nicest neighborhoods. Strathmore has some amazing old mansion-sized houses, though it's close to a few not-so-nice areas. For young people it's also a bit disconnected from the action, which is either around the University or in Armory Square.

The University Neighborhood has a lot of nice old family homes (think hardwood floors and fireplaces), but depending on your choice you could be living next to some rowdy students, though the off-campus trend has definitely declined over the last 10-20 years.

The neighborhood I grew in on Westcott Street is more residential, and much safer and quieter as a result, than when my parents first moved here in the early 1980s. The neighborhood is still collegiate, trendy and hippie-ish, which you may or may not like, but the resources available by being close to Syracuse University are unmatched.

Sorry to burst someone's bubble but Fowler has a very poor reputation as far as highschools go (at least among current highschool students), Nottingham is probably the best as far as diversity and quality of students within city limits, though I'd probably go for Jamesville-Dewitt in Dewitt or Fayetteville-Manlius in Manlius if money is no object.

I have been told that recruiters for the Ivies look at these three ('Ham, J-D, and F-M) and Manlius-Pebble Hill, which is a private school that offers some scholarships. That is just anecdotal evidence, but almost all my local classmates at Penn were from these four schools.

As far as commute time, the main roads and highways get cleared first, and the normal 15-minute drive to the station near the airport could take twice as long on a bad day. If you have any other questions just send me a message.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:22 AM

If you are speaking of the 10th Mountain Division Armory, it is only a 5 to 10-minute drive from the University Neighborhood, if that, and within city limits.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:21 AM

9 posts, read 43,246 times
I have to respectfully disagree that Strathmore is disconnected from the "action"...we consider Armory Square our "Town Center". I can leave my house and be at Sakanaya conveyor belt sushi in less than 5 minutes...I've done it on many (too many) occasions. Straight down Geddes Street to Fayette... There are TONS of young, hip, fun families in Strathmore.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:37 AM

I checked it out on Google Maps because I'm a nerd, and I was curious. The Westcott / University Neighborhood and Strathmore are exactly the same distance from Armory Square. It's nice to be close to the University and the Westcott Business district as well, its all in what you're looking for.

Check them both out, and while you're at it check out the neighborhood on the hill next to Notthingham High School on Meadowbrook, and the area on and around Broad St. behind Ed Smith Elementary, which are both quiet neighborhoods close to decent schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area