U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:55 AM

2,359 posts, read 8,186,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
Strathmore neighborhood sounds great! However, when I went to check out the school (via internet) they rated extremely low. We are moving to the area from CT due to a job transfer. The houses we usually live in are new construction, beautiful neighborhood with amazing schools. Although CT is beautiful, I am a bit tired of all the driving to my kids activities. Everything is so far away. I put over 500 miles/wk on my car. I looked at some houses (again, online) and the ones in Strathmore sure look beautiful with lots of character. You cannot even compare them to the newer developments in Manlius (even the high end ones). Moreover, there is a beautiful park in the area and you say the neighborhood has a real sense of community. My dilemma remains with the school system. If I look at the ratings, how can you compare let's say, F-M schools with the Strathmore area schools? On paper there is no comparison. Therein lies my dilemma.
"lovesMountains" (city data member) moved to the Strathmore area last summer.

Just read lovesMountains posts after she arrived in Syracuse......I'll leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 11:24 AM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times
bradford drive de witt, ny - Google Maps A part of the J-D SD close to Syracuse University

enders road manlius, ny - Google Maps F-M SD

stonehedge road camillus, ny - Google Maps West Genesee SD

fayetteville-manlius high school - Google Maps

east syracuse-minoa high school - Google Maps

jamesville-dewitt high school de witt, ny - Google Maps

westhill high school syracuse, ny - Google Maps

Google Maps

Old 03-19-2010, 11:51 AM

103 posts, read 177,484 times
Thanks, proulxfam and ckh for your links and comments. I'm so darn confused now. All I want is a nice neighborhood for my kids, a good place to send them to school, convenient location and decent house. It seems as though I have lots of choices which is a good thing overall, but too many choices can be confusing.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:35 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,974,358 times
I can understand... the three areas have a different feel though. You just need to see which suits you best.

The suburbs fan out, from west to north to east, this way-

West - Marcellus, Camillus, Onondaga Hill, Westhill, Fairmount. I'd say they're pretty average. From rural developments and historical homes in the countryside to long roads of shopping, schools, restaurants, etc. No real feel except for every day living. I don't like how removed it feels from the other suburbs... as I saw Bellafinzi (our moderator) describe it, it feels isolated. 690W just *barely* reaches out to it.

North - up to the northern 'burbs, from west to east - Jordan, Elbridge, Lysander, Baldwinsville, Radisson, Clay, Phoenix, Liverpool, Cicero, North Syracuse, Mattydale. The hills taper out here and becomes flat and somewhat marshy. Working to middle to middle-upper class. It "feels" like the most consumer-centric part of central NY. Shopping plaza upon shopping plaza upon development upon development. Go down a few miles and there it all is again. It feels crowded, to me. I get claustrophobic, driving through. A lot of Italians or people who wish they were. A lot of overbleached and/or severely overtanned soccer moms in velour sweatsuits. The women seem very high maintenance, no matter the income. It just doesn't feel relaxed. I'm a jeans/ponytail/tee/flip flops kind of gal and I get stared down when up there, which I haven't noticed in ANY other area in Syracuse. Just the northern burbs. I-81, the Thruway (90) and 481 reach through the area. A LOT of traffic congestion.

fanning over to the eastern side- Kirkville, East Syracuse, Fremont, Minoa. Working to the upper end of middle class. Relaxed. Flat and marshy. A little stale but nothing bad. Again, just every day living. Great athletic programs. Next to 481, adjacent to 690 and surrounding the Thruway (90.)

East - continuing south, on that eastern side, to- Jamesville-Dewitt, Fayetteville, Manlius. Middle to upperclass. Outdoorsy/athletic vibe but with a polish. Polished casual, I'll call it. lol. Quaint villages, impressive schools, long roads that web out to each other, making travel easy. 481 loops around and 690 and the Thruway are within 10 minutes, if that.

and rounds back to the beginning, curving south of Syracuse, from east to west, with- Pompey, Cazenovia at the outskirts, Jamesville, (LaFayette on the outskirts and more rural) and Nedrow (just south of the south side and tainted somewhat by the south side of the city of Syracuse and the Iroquois reservation on the other side of it)... back to Onondaga Hill. This area is more rural, outdoorsy (Caz also has that polish though) and very hilly.

That was probably confusing but if you pull out a map, it's just a big, clockwise circle. From one end of this spread to the other, it's about 40 minutes. From top to bottom, maybe 30. All the suburbs are within 10 minutes of big-box retailers, their respective schools and central communities. A lot of people rarely leave their own side of central NY for the simple fact that they don't really HAVE to go anywhere else.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
Thanks, proulxfam and ckh for your links and comments. I'm so darn confused now. All I want is a nice neighborhood for my kids, a good place to send them to school, convenient location and decent house. It seems as though I have lots of choices which is a good thing overall, but too many choices can be confusing.
Let's break it down. You want good schools, a convenient location, indoor soccer facilities close by and a decent home. From what you have told everyone, it looks like something in the Fremont/Fremont Hills/Erie Village part of the ES-M SD seems perfect. I say this due to the proximity to the shopping in Fayetteville at the Towne Centre, Bridge St. in East Syracuse(Staples, Home Depot, Wal*Mart, Aldi, etc.) and to Erie Boulevard in DeWitt. You would also be pretty close to I-481 and I-690, with the Thruway exit off of 481 being very close. ES-M has a very good girls soccer program and they have an indoor facility within the school district. It's is less pretentious in terms of reputation versus some of the other schools considered and the schools are still good(grad. rate in the mid-high 80's). It's a safe area and you have diversity in the school district in terms of income, environment(rural, suburban and even somewhat urban) and even now culturally.

Also, the high school has made some upgrades to it's facilities within the last 5 years or so.

East Syracuse-Minoa Schools : Welcome

I'm not saying to completely eliminate the other districts, but I think this helps you narrow the list down to a short list of where you and your family wants to be.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:51 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,974,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Let's break it down. You want good schools, a convenient location, indoor soccer facilities close by and a decent home. From what you have told everyone, it looks like something in the Fremont/Fremont Hills/Erie Village part of the ES-M SD seems perfect. I say this due to the proximity to the shopping in Fayetteville at the Towne Centre, Bridge St. in East Syracuse(Staples, Home Depot, Wal*Mart, Aldi, etc.) and to Erie Boulevard in DeWitt. You would also be pretty close to I-481 and I-690, with the Thruway exit off of 481 being very close. ES-M has a very good girls soccer program and they have an indoor facility within the school district. It's is less pretentious in terms of reputation versus some of the other schools considered and the schools are still good(grad. rate in the mid-high 80's). It's a safe area and you have diversity in the school district in terms of income, environment(rural, suburban and even somewhat urban) and even now culturally.

Also, the high school has made some upgrades to it's facilities within the last 5 years or so.

East Syracuse-Minoa Schools : Welcome

I'm not saying to completely eliminate the other districts, but I think this helps you narrow the list down to a short list of where you and your family wants to be.
You've nailed it, without my usual long-windedness. lol

Minoa-Fremont (they kind of fuse together), East Syracuse *outside* the village, Dewitt, Fayetteville, Manlius. 13116, 13057, 13214, 13066, 13104. Those are the zips to look for. And possibly Kirkville (13082 and still ESM and close to E. Syr/Minoa/Fremont), because that's the closest you can possibly be, between the schools and indoor soccer facility.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:52 PM

Thanks to both of you again (proulx & ckh). Proulx, thanks for the tour. It was not confusing at all since I have been studying the map of the area for the last week. Ckh, thanks for the focus. Although, I have heard mixed things about ES-M. I have to see for myself. I'll be coming up soon enough and we'll decide. Overall, I'm very excited to make this move and if half the population is half as informative and caring as you guys, I think we'll be in good shape.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
You've nailed it, without my usual long-windedness. lol

Minoa-Fremont (they kind of fuse together), East Syracuse *outside* the village, Dewitt, Fayetteville, Manlius. 13116, 13057, 13082, 13214, 13066, 13104. Those are the zips to look for.
Yup, I think a sleeper area is Franklin Park, because you can take Kirkville Rd. to 481 or take it to Thompson Road and go to either the Thruway or to 690. You can find some nice homes around there. They would also be close to ES-M High, the shopping they want and indoor facilities.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:54 PM

357 posts, read 836,704 times
After reading most of your posts I would have to agree with ckhthankgod that you are probably more of a suburban family.

I think in order to live in the city of Syracuse you really have to have a passion for city life. Especially in Syracuse, because anytime you say you live in the city you can expect to get rude comments from suburbanites about life in the city

The city really does have some wonderful neighborhoods and they are usually close knit communities that are bound together with common interests and the passion for city life. For example, a lot of the people I know on the East side are passionate about being able to ride their bikes or walk to work, healthy life styles, being able to walk to stores and libraries, and green living in general. Also, a lot of people on the East side like living within walking distance of SU and SU athletic fields.

The people of Strathmore are just as passionate about their neighborhood and community. What draws them together is a little different then what draws people on the East side to live together. But once again they have to want city life in order to really enjoy living in it.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
After reading most of your posts I would have to agree with ckhthankgod that you are probably more of a suburban family.

I think in order to live in the city of Syracuse you really have to have a passion for city life. Especially in Syracuse, because anytime you say you live in the city you can expect to get rude comments from suburbanites about life in the city

The city really does have some wonderful neighborhoods and they are usually close knit communities that are bound together with common interests and the passion for city life. For example, a lot of the people I know on the East side are passionate about being able to ride their bikes or walk to work, healthy life styles, being able to walk to stores and libraries, and green living in general. Also, a lot of people on the East side like living within walking distance of SU and SU athletic fields.

The people of Strathmore are just as passionate about their neighborhood and community. What draws them together is a little different then what draws people on the East side to live together. But once again they have to want city life in order to really enjoy living in it.
I appreciate your comment becky. As a family, we have always lived in the suburbs, that's true. However, I have the city life always on the back of my mind and wouldn't mind introducing my kids to it. I lived in NYC for several years before getting married and so did my husband. We loved it! I love walking to the store, hanging out in the park and people watching, etc... I just want to make sure the area is safe for my kids and the schools have to be good also. My husband works weird hours, so it's important we feel safe at home too. I checked out Strathmore's website and it just makes me smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area