U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 05:30 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,982,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
I appreciate your comment becky. As a family, we have always lived in the suburbs, that's true. However, I have the city life always on the back of my mind and wouldn't mind introducing my kids to it. I lived in NYC for several years before getting married and so did my husband. We loved it! I love walking to the store, hanging out in the park and people watching, etc... I just want to make sure the area is safe for my kids and the schools have to be good also. My husband works weird hours, so it's important we feel safe at home too. I checked out Strathmore's website and it just makes me smile.
It's not the NYC kind of city life, in Strathmore... no stores to walk to in Strathmore; it's just the park. Wescott/University is more of an all-access community. Entertainment, grocery store/co-op, shops, restaurants, churches, parks, a pool... Strathmore has a park and a pool and grander homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 05:42 PM

56,766 posts, read 81,126,018 times
Quote:
I appreciate your comment becky. As a family, we have always lived in the suburbs, that's true. However, I have the city life always on the back of my mind and wouldn't mind introducing my kids to it. I lived in NYC for several years before getting married and so did my husband. We loved it! I love walking to the store, hanging out in the park and people watching, etc... I just want to make sure the area is safe for my kids and the schools have to be good also. My husband works weird hours, so it's important we feel safe at home too. I checked out Strathmore's website and it just makes me smile.
After doing some research on the schools in Naperville IL and the area of CT you live in now, I think F-M is a slam dunk in terms of quality of education, the local reputation and the make up of the student body. You might actually like something close to on possibly even within either one of the villages, Fayetteville or Manlius. This is if you want something similar in this area, but without having to drive all over the place to shop, send your daughter to indoor soccer contests and so on.

Also, from I noticed, where you live now seems very similar to Baldwinsville in terms of having a combination of a village, rural areas, a planned community and a mix of older and newer suburban like developments. It seems like the difference would be that the B'ville area is close to shopping and has more of the other things you want within it's area. F-M also has a good mix as well. F-M High is also around the same size as the HS your daughter is currently going to now.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:11 PM

103 posts, read 177,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
"lovesMountains" (city data member) moved to the Strathmore area last summer.

Just read lovesMountains posts after she arrived in Syracuse......I'll leave it at that.
Thanks for this, bella. I'll likely stick to the suburbs after reading lovesMountains posts.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
After doing some research on the schools in Naperville IL and the area of CT you live in now, I think F-M is a slam dunk in terms of quality of education, the local reputation and the make up of the student body. You might actually like something close to on possibly even within either one of the villages, Fayetteville or Manlius. This is if you want something similar in this area, but without having to drive all over the place to shop, send your daughter to indoor soccer contests and so on.

Also, from I noticed, where you live now seems very similar to Baldwinsville in terms of having a combination of a village, rural areas, a planned community and a mix of older and newer suburban like developments. It seems like the difference would be that the B'ville area is close to shopping and has more of the other things you want within it's area. F-M also has a good mix as well. F-M High is also around the same size as the HS your daughter is currently going to now.

Thanks for your research! Can you guys find a house for me?? (I'm only half joking)

Old 03-19-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this, bella. I'll likely stick to the suburbs after reading lovesMountains posts.
Take them with a grain of salt and she didn't even stay in Strathmore the whole time. Just wanted to clear that up. Even urban neighborhoods like the ones I posted and gave a streetview of she didn't even know about them. She was from Charlotte by the way and didn't even stay in the area that long. I'm just saying......

With that said, if you want a suburb with similar homes to the "old money" city of Syracuse neighborhoods, very good schools and pretty much everything else you want, look at DeWitt in the Orvilton Drive area off of East Genesee Street. That's in the J-D school district. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...229.47,,0,2.47

In the villages of Manlius and Fayetteville, you can find some homes like that as well. In Manlius, around Smith and Pleasant has some nice more historical homes. In Fayetteville, I believe around Center and Elm has some as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-19-2010 at 06:30 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 06:26 PM

357 posts, read 838,092 times
Quote:
Maybe your more city then I first thought I can understand about safety and schools, they are very important factors when you have kids. I'm not to sure why the city schools rank so low. It's probably beyond my understanding but I can tell you that I have yet to meet a parent who had their kids in Ed Smith (East Side) who wasn't very satisfied with it. I went to Ed Smith and myself and all my friends got a great education and have all graduated from college or higher. Although my grammer and spelling on this site have a lot to be desired

But I can understand if your concerned about it based on the scores so I was thinking about what you might be able to find that might give you more of the city feel but suburban schools and the pool/Soccer Fields ect. I would suggest trying to find something on the border between Dewitt and the east side of the city of Syracuse near Meadowbrook road. There's a lot of homes that look like Sedwick homes in that area. Some are located in Syracuse and some in Dewitt. You really can't tell whats a suburb and what's city in that area but if you choose a home over the border in Dewitt you can have Dewitt schools.

The following would all be within a 5 minute drive of you if you chose to live in this area:
Soccer - East Side Soccer - Recreational Soccer for Grades K-8 - Syracuse, NY
Swimming and golf - Drumlins Country Club. Syracuse, New York.
There's also lots of open fields and playgrounds.

A lot of the Dewitt properties reside behind Nottingham High school which is a city school.
I've listed some homes on the Dewitt side and some on the City side so you can see what the homes look like -

Located on the Dewitt side -
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S215154
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S225583 - this ones right across the street from Drumlins country club, around the corner is a Dewitt Elementary school and within walking distance to a grocery store. Also just down the road is SU athletic fields

Located on the city side of that area:
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S228613
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S207132
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S228464
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S224688

This is a very safe area both city section and Dewitt section.

Last edited by beckyhuggs; 03-19-2010 at 07:20 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 06:30 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,982,374 times
Haha- CT, don't threaten me with a good time! :P Ever since we started house hunting a few years ago, I still look up properties for fun, staying on top of our home's current value, and looking for friends/family. And we're coming on up on two years of living in this house!

I'm going to admit being nerdy here but... I have 21 saved searches of specific areas/price ranges/scenarios on the Prudential site. And I regularly check them all! <----looooooooooser. lol

Old 03-19-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
Maybe your more city then I first thought I can understand about safety and schools, they are very important factors when you have kids. I'm not to sure why the city schools rank so low. It's probably beyond my understanding but I can tell you that I have yet to meet a parent who had their kids in Ed Smith (East Side) who wasn't very satisfied with it. I went to Ed Smith and myself and all my friends got a great education and have all graduated from college or higher.

But I can understand if your concerned about it based on the scores so I was thinking about what you might be able to find that might give you more of the city feel but suburban schools and the pool/Soccer Fields ect. I would suggest trying to find something on the border between Dewitt and the east side of the city of Syracuse near Meadowbrook road. There's a lot of homes that look like Sedwick homes in that area. Some are located in Syracuse and some in Dewitt. You really can't tell whats a suburb and what's city in that area but if you choose a home over the border in Dewitt you can have Dewitt schools.

The following would all be within a 5 minute drive of you if you chose to live in this area:

A lot of the Dewitt properties reside behind Nottingham High school which is a city school.
I've listed some homes on the Dewitt side and some on the City side so you can see what the homes look like -

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S225583 - this ones right across the street from Drumlins country club, kitty korner to a Dewitt Elementary and within walking distance to a grocery store.

I was thinking about that area too. She might like something in the Bradford Heights area and she can still possibly find something in J-D school district too. For instance, I just recently realized that Scott Ave. actually goes into the town of DeWitt. There is an area off of Manor Dr. that also has some in the city and some in DeWitt too.

Also, a lot of people that live in that area of the city of Syracuse send their children to schools like CBA or MPH. Maybe even Bishop Grimes too.

Here's another good way to search for homes: http://www.cnyrealtor.com/findahome

Old 03-19-2010, 06:43 PM

357 posts, read 838,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Take them with a grain of salt and she didn't even stay in Strathmore the whole time. Just wanted to clear that up. Even urban neighborhoods like the ones I posted and gave a streetview of she didn't even know about them. She was from Charlotte by the way and didn't even stay in the area that long. I'm just saying......
I totally agree. Lovesmountains lived here for a total of three months and pretty much said that she thought the ENTIRE city of Syracuse was like living in one big slum. We would suggest areas and neighborhoods of the city to check out but she refused to see anything but slum. Then she would say she couldn't imagine living anywhere else (including suburbs) because she loved her neighborhood community. She was a bit confusing for me....but honestly I think it was what I mentioned before. A person has to desire city life to really appreciate it. When she was first looking in our area she was wanting rural but ended up in the city because of finances. It just wasn't a fit for her. I question if any city in the north would have been a fit for her

Last edited by beckyhuggs; 03-19-2010 at 07:24 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
Maybe your more city then I first thought I can understand about safety and schools, they are very important factors when you have kids. I'm not to sure why the city schools rank so low. It's probably beyond my understanding but I can tell you that I have yet to meet a parent who had their kids in Ed Smith (East Side) who wasn't very satisfied with it. I went to Ed Smith and myself and all my friends got a great education and have all graduated from college or higher. Although my grammer and spelling on this site have a lot to be desired

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S225583 - this ones right across the street from Drumlins country club, around the corner is a Dewitt Elementary school and within walking distance to a grocery store. Also just down the road is SU athletic fields

Thanks for the listings! I like the Nottingham Rd. house across from Drumlin, at least on the outside. Check this beauty out:

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S219309

and this one, although the wallpaper is a bit much
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S218611

this is pretty too
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S217853

and one more
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S221956

If these were in F-M I'd be sold yesterday.

Thanks again for your great comments! Feel free to send any houses my way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area