U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:56 PM

357 posts, read 837,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
Thanks for the listings! I like the Nottingham Rd. house across from Drumlin, at least on the outside. Check this beauty out:

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S219309

and this one, although the wallpaper is a bit much
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S218611

this is pretty too
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S217853

and one more
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S221956

If these were in F-M I'd be sold yesterday.

Thanks again for your great comments! Feel free to send any houses my way!
These homes are absolutely incredible. You just can't find homes made like that anymore. Whats nice in Syracuse is you can actually still find homes like that but with a decent price. Homes like these in other cities go for millions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 10:27 AM

56,744 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
These homes are absolutely incredible. You just can't find homes made like that anymore. Whats nice in Syracuse is you can actually still find homes like that but with a decent price. Homes like these in other cities go for millions!
Exactly and the homes shown are in Sedgwick and Strathmore, but the whole city is a slum. Yeah right.

Here's some older homes in the suburbs that are somewhat like those in the "old rich" neighborhoods of Syracuse:
CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S225813

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S225941 (This area is called Lyndon and most of it is in the J-D school district)

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S219610

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S225583

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S225702

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S225989

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S221704

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S220982

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S227803

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S219731

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S219526

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S216749

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S227603

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S228276

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S227706

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S228465

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S228555

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S223283

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S218688

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S223331

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S220573

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S221592

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S206312

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S224532

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S220840

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S219274

CNYHomes - Detailed House Listing Information for MLS#S217825

and many more....If there are similar homes in other school districts you want to see, just let someone know.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:20 PM

4 posts, read 7,850 times
bellafinzi gave you some great Information! I am a Realtor here in Syracuse and agree with most of what they said!

Moderator cut: realtor soliciting

Last edited by bellafinzi; 03-20-2010 at 06:13 PM..

Old 03-21-2010, 06:14 AM

103 posts, read 177,771 times
I heard there is a penitentiary in Dewitt or Jamesville. Should I be concerned? Near where I live there is a prison and the middle school is across the street from it. That is one of the reasons we did not look in that particular CT town.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:36 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,980,274 times
Quote:
I heard there is a penitentiary in Dewitt or Jamesville. Should I be concerned? Near where I live there is a prison and the middle school is across the street from it. That is one of the reasons we did not look in that particular CT town.
The penitentiary is tucked away, behind Jamesville and going up toward Pompey. I wouldn't be concerned. Some of the most beautiful new construction homes are built on the road that goes alongside it. It's not tall and ugly or anything... seems fairly small, by itself in a medium-sized field, set back from the road. You'll see the inmates doing the landscaping in warm weather and the new fire station is directly across from it.

I'm heading out to Pompey to pick up my sisters to babysit for us tomorrow and will take pics of it then. Really, you hardly give it more than a glance, in passing. If the name wasn't out front and there wasn't barbed wire on the yard fence in back, it could be mistaken for a very large, updated animal hospital or a town maintenance building.

While I'm out, did you want pics of anything else in Manlius? I can take pics of the high school, Wellwood and Fay-El, if you'd like... just to maybe see what the grounds look like *besides* the straight, head-on shots from their website.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Like proulx said, there isn't anything to worry about. Keep in mind with Jamesville-DeWitt, much of the housing in that district is in the Dewitt(cdp) part between Erie Boulevard east and East Genesee Street. There quite a bit off of Jamesivlle Road between East Genesee and Route 481 as well.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
The penitentiary is tucked away, behind Jamesville and going up toward Pompey. I wouldn't be concerned. Some of the most beautiful new construction homes are built on the road that goes alongside it. It's not tall and ugly or anything... seems fairly small, by itself in a medium-sized field, set back from the road. You'll see the inmates doing the landscaping in warm weather and the new fire station is directly across from it.

I'm heading out to Pompey to pick up my sisters to babysit for us tomorrow and will take pics of it then. Really, you hardly give it more than a glance, in passing. If the name wasn't out front and there wasn't barbed wire on the yard fence in back, it could be mistaken for a very large, updated animal hospital or a town maintenance building.

While I'm out, did you want pics of anything else in Manlius? I can take pics of the high school, Wellwood and Fay-El, if you'd like... just to maybe see what the grounds look like *besides* the straight, head-on shots from their website.
Thanks so much for your offer to take pics. You really don't have to. We really need to come up and take a look. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to: F-M area, J-D area, Cazenovia and Skaneateles (a bit far but the lake is calling me), Syracuse (just b/c I'm curious) and ES-M area. Maybe B'ville also. Hopefully I'll get a good feel for it all and then we can decide. I guess this is not really 'narrowing it down' but I have to be thorough. I'm hoping one of these places speaks to me. Thank you so much.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for your offer to take pics. You really don't have to. We really need to come up and take a look. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to: F-M area, J-D area, Cazenovia and Skaneateles (a bit far but the lake is calling me), Syracuse (just b/c I'm curious) and ES-M area. Maybe B'ville also. Hopefully I'll get a good feel for it all and then we can decide. I guess this is not really 'narrowing it down' but I have to be thorough. I'm hoping one of these places speaks to me. Thank you so much.
If do this, I think you would be more of an East Side(especially the Meadowbrook, University, parts of Salt Springs and parts of Outer Comstock neighborhoods), Strathmore, Sedgwick or South Valley type of family. Maybe parts of Eastwood and the Northside north of Grant Boulevard too.

Also, while you are at it, check out the villages of Liverpool and Marcellus too.
http://www.villageofliverpool.org/

http://village.marcellusny.com/

Old 03-22-2010, 04:10 PM

I'll check out Marcellus. My husband doesn't want to look north, so we may not look into B'ville and Liverpool, Clay etc... I read that Cazenovia schools have a bullying problem. Any thoughts on this? I really like Skaneateles' breakdown of schools (K-2, 3-5, etc...) and it looks like they have class sizes of 13, which I think is great. On paper, Skan looks really good. The only downside is the commute to Syracuse. I think I've narrowed it down to Skan and F-M area. I'm itching to go up, but it looks like I won't be able to until mid-April and we'll have 5 days to find a house. Yikes!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I'll check out Marcellus. My husband doesn't want to look north, so we may not look into B'ville and Liverpool, Clay etc... I read that Cazenovia schools have a bullying problem. Any thoughts on this? I really like Skaneateles' breakdown of schools (K-2, 3-5, etc...) and it looks like they have class sizes of 13, which I think is great. On paper, Skan looks really good. The only downside is the commute to Syracuse. I think I've narrowed it down to Skan and F-M area. I'm itching to go up, but it looks like I won't be able to until mid-April and we'll have 5 days to find a house. Yikes!
If you want smaller class sizes with a shorter commute, then Westhill makes a load of sense. It has a similar school breakdown, less students than F-M and is in the same calibur. Plus, the sports program is one of the best in the area and the Boys Basketball team just won the state public school title for their class. Your taxes would be less in the Westhill SD, you still would have shopping close by, closer access to the city of Syracuse, it's safe and access to the highways isn't too far away. Just something to think about......J-D would fit the same bill, except it is an Eastern suburb, has a little bit more in terms of student population and is more "diverse".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area