U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:24 AM

103 posts, read 176,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you want smaller class sizes with a shorter commute, then Westhill makes a load of sense. It has a similar school breakdown, less students than F-M and is in the same calibur. Plus, the sports program is one of the best in the area and the Boys Basketball team just won the state public school title for their class. Your taxes would be less in the Westhill SD, you still would have shopping close by, closer access to the city of Syracuse, it's safe and access to the highways isn't too far away. Just something to think about......J-D would fit the same bill, except it is an Eastern suburb, has a little bit more in terms of student population and is more "diverse".

Thanks, I'll pay more attention to the Westhill area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,961,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoman View Post
Thanks, I'll pay more attention to the Westhill area.
To play the devil's advocate Westhill isn't accessible without either driving through terrible areas or winding way around them, through Fairmount, on 690.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:46 AM

56,248 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
To play the devil's advocate Westhill isn't accessible without either driving through terrible areas or winding way around them, through Fairmount, on 690.
Just one guy's opinion, but driving down West Genesee St. to get to Westvale from Downtown Syracuse or taking I-81 South to the 481/DeWitt exitand getting off at Exit 1 on 481at Rock Cut Rd. and driving through the Valley on Seneca Turnpike to Onondaga Hill are not routes through "terrible" areas. Are they urban? Yes, but terrible? No. You can also take West Genesee Street, then take a left onto Avery Ave., which becomes Velasko Rd. and also takes you to Onondaga Hill.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:04 AM

Maybe Marcellus too. I think they have a smaller school system. You guys are funny.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:09 AM

I think that the mere fact that one has to carefully map out which way to go, to get home, speaks for itself. Let's say someone works downtown... they'd have to get on the 690 (or 81 to 690) and loop around, still see some pretty hideous urban blight (Solvay is run down pitifully), go through countless lights, work their way south and get home. Is Westhill really worth all that? In the end, it looks like East Syracuse... but so much more of a PITA to get to Westhill than E. Syr. Downtown to Westhill, that way, is easily a 15-20 minute commute, moreso in rush hours.

The Rock Cut Road exit would take just as long, in the other direction. It would take you below the city, winding over to the safest and most busy south side street, up Onondaga Hill and back over to home... perhaps winding back down to the west side valley, through more lights. Both routes take you around the city, rather than through it, and double the commute time.

Whereas cutting through the west side - and not just that but cutting through where the "ghettos" of the west side and the south side meet - would be maybe 10 minutes. *Maybe.* I doubt it's even that much. No one would go those other ways and double their commute. They'd learn to suck it up and drive through the ghetto. And that isn't an experience I'd direct anyone towards, especially newcomers.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:20 AM

Do you know what town your husband may be working in? That would go a long way in our making more helpful suggestions. lol

Old 03-23-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I think that the mere fact that one has to carefully map out which way to go, to get home, speaks for itself. Let's say someone works downtown... they'd have to get on the 690 (or 81 to 690) and loop around, still see some pretty hideous urban blight (Solvay is run down pitifully), go through countless lights, work their way south and get home. Is Westhill really worth all that? In the end, it looks like East Syracuse... but so much more of a PITA to get to Westhill than E. Syr. Downtown to Westhill, that way, is easily a 15-20 minute commute, moreso in rush hours.

The Rock Cut Road exit would take just as long, in the other direction. It would take you below the city, winding over to the safest and most busy south side street, up Onondaga Hill and back over to home... perhaps winding back down to the west side valley, through more lights. Both routes take you around the city, rather than through it, and double the commute time.

Whereas cutting through the west side - and not just that but cutting through where the "ghettos" of the west side and the south side meet - would be maybe 10 minutes. *Maybe.* I doubt it's even that much. No one would go those other ways and double their commute. They'd learn to suck it up and drive through the ghetto. And that isn't an experience I'd direct anyone towards, especially newcomers.
Wow! That is incorrect, as West Genesee Street is far from driving through the "ghetto" neighborhoods. That would be like telling someone that might live in the Eastern suburbs to not take East Genesee Street to get to Downtown Syracuse, which would be silly.

Also, that area of 481 by Rock Cut Road is actually right next to the city of Syracuse and I go that way to see my parents in Onondaga Hill that way. Syracuse is very easy to drive through and it doesn't add much more, if any more time.

Marcellus is nice, but it is still a good drive from shopping and the highways. If you go with Marcellus, look in the town of Onondaga part of the school district.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:03 AM

West Genesee is ugly down most of the stretch, until just past the P&C, past Solvay. Run down or vacant car dealerships, run down stores, run down homes, graffiti, narrow lanes with so many potholes on the side that I'd rather be in the left lane and wait for every car to slow down and turn left... it's not pretty, in any way, shape or form. Saying it's ugly is generous, imo. And driving down West Genesee to get to the Westhill area is still driving around the ghetto... it's a longer drive by at least 10 minutes.

East Genesee is run down for a short block or two (near the old projects, in two places), then fine past the Salt Springs turn off. I wasn't originally comparing the two but now that I think of it, there's a definite difference.

I guess my biggest problem with the Westhill district area is- why pay the same amount to live there, when you can live in so many nicer places? It's all relative, I know but really, I never understand the draw unless they stay primarily in the western or northern 'burbs. Again though, it depends on where the OP's husband may be working. If his employer is in Skaneateles, Camillus, Marcellus or any of the western/northwestern 'burbs, Westhill would be fine... because he wouldn't be going through the west side everyday. Westhill tends to be a little close to "the action" of the west side.

Case en pointe- a close friend lives on Onondaga Hill (in the Westhill district.) When she has to go grocery shopping, she avoids going to the Wegmans down the hill and drives around to Fairmount's instead. Why? Because she doesn't feel comfortable. She doesn't think she's going to be robbed or anything but... well, no woman likes to be closely and repeatedly catcalled and lustfully eyed-down and have sexual comments made by wannabe thugs, no matter their race. It's just too close to the west side for comfort. A few miles away, in Fairmount, she can go grocery shopping in peace.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:09 AM

Here's some examples of homes in the town of Onondaga, but are in the Marcellus SD:
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

Old 03-23-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Do you know what town your husband may be working in? That would go a long way in our making more helpful suggestions. lol
He will be based in East Syracuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area