Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:37 PM

5 posts, read 10,847 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am planning on moving to the area to start a PhD program at Syracuse University. My husband is an elementary teacher and will be looking for teaching jobs in the area. We are currently living in Baltimore.

After living in Baltimore, we are looking forward to escaping city life and moving to beautiful upstate new york. We would like to live in the suburbs/country rather than the city itself. Ideally near a good school that my husband could teach in.

I've searched all over the internet for decent apartment complexes or houses to rent but am having trouble finding one I like. We're looking for a 2 br place for under $1000 (ideally 700 - 800) that is pet friendly - we have a 9 month old lab I'd prefer new construction and to be away from areas heavily populated by undergrad students but still near shops and good places to eat.

Any suggestions for places to live or schools for my husband to work in?
Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 02:43 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,695 times
I would recommend the Steeplechase Apartments in Camillus, a western suburb of Syracuse. The complex was built in the late 1970s, however was renovated several years ago. Two bedroom units are slightly above your price range at $1055. These pet friendly apartments are situated in a planned community called Weatheridge that consists of townhomes, condos, and midsized single family homes. The terrain consists of rolling hills, open fields and some woods. Adjacent to Steeplechase is Pioneer Farms, an upscale subdivision that has tree cover similiar to a forest and is excellent for walking and jogging. Several big box retailers and grocery shopping is less than 1 mile away. Camillus is located in the West Genesee School District, which is well regarded in the Syracuse area. SU is about 20 minutes to the SE. Camillus is largely a family community and has few direct connections to SU. The Eastern Suburbs are closer to SU and are home to many SU faculty and some grad students, however the number of quality apartment complexes that are pet friendly and fairly modern is limited. I lived in a 1 bedroom unit from 2005 to 2006 prior to relocating and would highly recommend.

Realty Management Concepts
Steeplechase at Weatheridge Apartments for Rent | Apartment Finder

Old 03-16-2010, 03:00 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
For jobs and school districts, look here:
Central New York Jobs
Onondaga County, New York
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community (go to NY, search by address, then select Onondaga County at the bottom)

Old 03-17-2010, 10:42 AM

thanks for the info.

housing prices seem cheap in the area (compared to other places i've lived).
I'm wondering if buying a house makes more sense than renting? We're only going to be in Syracuse for 3 or 4 years...

What's the local food like? Anything in particular we should try next time we visit?

Old 03-17-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnynewbie View Post
thanks for the info.

housing prices seem cheap in the area (compared to other places i've lived).
I'm wondering if buying a house makes more sense than renting? We're only going to be in Syracuse for 3 or 4 years...

What's the local food like? Anything in particular we should try next time we visit?
It might be a good idea to buy a home, but it all depends on what you want. What I like about the area is that you can get a decent home for an affordable price.

As for local food, here's a great site for restaurants in the area: welcome! · cnymenus · dot · com ·

Is there anything that you like in particular? You might like these spots:
Dinosaur BBQ - Genuine Barbeque Sauce, Hot Sauce, and Marinades
L'Adour Restaurant Francais - Syracuse's One and Only! - 110 Montgomery Street Syracuse, NY 13203 - 315-475-7653
Welcome To Pastabilities
Empire Brewing Company - Armory Square - Syracuse, New York
China Road - Chinese Restaurant
Pascale Wine Bar & Restaurant | Syracuse NY | Fine Dining
Alto Cinco (http://www.altocinco.net/_Home - broken link)
The Mission Restaurant
The Retreat Restaurant
Delmonico's Italian Steak House - Albany, Utica, Syracuse, Rochester
Coleman's Authentic Irish Pub Syracuse, NY

and many more

As for rentals, here's another site that might have something that you like: MapsKrieg - Syracuse, NY - Apartments & Housing For Rent

Old 03-17-2010, 01:09 PM

This gives you an idea of school districts in Onondaga County:
Onondaga County, New York

and some private schools too: The New School · K-6 Education · Syracuse, NY
Montessori School of Syracuse > Home
Montessori Discovery School, Syracuse/Dewitt NY -- Preschool and Kindergarten for ages 3-6
Diocese of Syracuse, NY - Catholic Schools (http://www.syrdio.org/index.asp?path=CatholicSchools&action=viewRegion&R egionID=4 - broken link)
Manlius Pebble Hill School
Home

and school districts in adjacent counties: CNY School Districts (http://www.mjwillisassociates.com/cny_school_districts.htm - broken link)

Some more apartments: Syracuse Apartments for Rent | Syracuse Apartment Finder

Old 03-18-2010, 07:10 AM

yum - looking forward to Dinosaur BBQ
thanks for the input.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:46 PM

13 posts, read 41,257 times
Hi cnynewbie! I'm excited that you're starting a new program at SU. If I were you, I would shoot the works and buy a house. (Once you've had a taste of Syracuse, you might not want to leave.) I work and have recently moved to the Westcott/University neighborhood and would recommend it. In fact, there is a modern development on the corner of Vincent St and Comstock Ave in the Outer Comstock neighborhood (also nice) that has had a property for sale for a few months. It would be worth checking out and you would be only a few blocks form SU.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:01 AM

Does anyone know anything about the Starlight Estate Aparments in Camillus?

Also - there's a chance my husband might get a job in Utica. How would the commute be? Is there a good halfway point to live (I'll be attending SU)?

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Canastota would be a good halfway point. Chittenango is a little closer to SU and Oneida is a little closer to Utica. Oneida would give each of you a commute time of about 30 minutes. I don't know much about apartments in those areas but if you look on Craigslist, and do a search for those towns, I'm sure you'll find something very affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area