Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we add a Syracuse sub-forum?
Yes 23 85.19%
No 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:51 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaneatelesmom View Post
I would prefer "central NY" also, because many people only ask about one city because that is all they know, but end up learning about surrounding areas. It would be easier to keep it under one roof.
Jo
Yeah, Central New York would be better because Cooperstown (home of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum) is there. Baseball began in Central New York!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 02:18 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Administrator, I'd stay with "Syracuse area".

"Central New York" is a term that can mean too many parts of the State and is defined in different ways by various people. Sometimes CNY can stretch from Watertown to Binghamton and from Utica to Ithaca.

Even if locals know what Central New York means...many outsiders do not know what defines "Central New York".

For example:

-people do not move to both Syracuse and Ithaca
-people do not relocate to both Syracuse and Utica
-people do not look to settle in both Syracuse and Rome

When everyone says "Syracuse area", most people will understand that we mean the City of Syracuse plus the suburbs and a few rural outlying areas within commuting distance.

Yet, Central New York covers a huge area of the State. And if in the future we add sub-forums for a "Capital District", a "Western New York", a "Finger Lakes Region" then the "New York" general (main) forum will have virtually no reason to exist.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-17-2008 at 02:32 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 02:20 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Rochester and Albany would be next in line in a month or two, depending on how the current sub-forums work. I'm basing new sub-forums on forum activity, not on population numbers.
Thanks for the clarification. I'd still be inclined to suggest that the Buffalo sub-forum be renamed Western New York to account for both Buffalo and Rochester under one title. I also approve of a Capital District sub-forum for Albany/Schenectady/Troy/Saratoga. I'm still uncertain about whether to make a Syracuse sub-forum or a Central New York sub-forum, as some others stated. I think that "Central New York" would be too confusing; would Binghamton be included in this? Watertown? Ithaca? Elmira? I like "Western New York", "Syracuse", and "Capital District."

Old 01-17-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I'd still be inclined to suggest that the Buffalo sub-forum be renamed Western New York to account for both Buffalo and Rochester under one title. I also approve of a Capital District sub-forum for Albany/Schenectady/Troy/Saratoga. I'm still uncertain about whether to make a Syracuse sub-forum or a Central New York sub-forum, as some others stated. I think that "Central New York" would be too confusing; would Binghamton be included in this? Watertown? Ithaca? Elmira? I like "Western New York", "Syracuse", and "Capital District."
Western New York would be almost as confusing as Central New York.

Some people consider Jamestown, Olean and Penn Yan... "Western New York". Yet, these places are not even in the Rochester or Buffalo Metropolitan areas.

Also, not many people I know move to both Rochester and Buffalo. They move to either Rochester or Buffalo. They are distinct Metropolitan areas with different media markets and sports teams etc.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Western New York would be almost as confusing as Central New York.

Some people consider Jamestown, Olean and Penn Yan... "Western New York". Yet, these places are not even in the Rochester or Buffalo Metropolitan areas.

Also, not many people I know move to both Rochester and Buffalo. They move to either Rochester or Buffalo. They are distinct Metropolitan areas with different media markets and sports teams etc.
On this same token though we risk creating too many sub-forums. The PA forum currently has four sub-forums, and I created a poll recently to ask that if and when a fifth should be created in 2008 for "South Central PA" (Harrisburg/York/Lancaster/Lebanon areas) should Reading be included. There were a lot of responses from folks who thought there were already too many sub-forums and that more would be detrimental, not beneficial. PA and NY have comparable levels of forum traffic, so I'd guess that if folks think four sub-forums are too many for PA, then some may argue that four are too many for NY as well.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:49 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I'm with bellafinzi, folks within and outside of NYS would be confused by Central New York or Western New York, even the New York State government, of which I was once a member, can't sort out which is which, and why. Geography is a lost art in the school system, I reckon.

One of the few definitions that might hold for future sub-forums is the Capitol District (Albany) and its environs because I believe it is referred to in this way nationally and within NYS.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

One of the few definitions that might hold for future sub-forums is the Capitol District (Albany) and its environs because I believe it is referred to in this way nationally and within NYS.
Thanks ontheroad! And I agree.... a future sub-forum named "Capitol District" is a good idea.

SWB, I only foresee four sub-forums for Upstate New York.... Buffalo area, Rochester area, Syracuse area and Capitol District. These are the four major Metropolitan areas in Upstate NY.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
SWB, I only foresee four sub-forums for Upstate New York.... Buffalo area, Rochester area, Syracuse area and Capitol District. These are the four major Metropolitan areas in Upstate NY.
Those four will be in addition to New York City, Long Island, and Westchester County, to bring the finally tally up seven sub-forums. If people in PA think four is too many for our state, then I'm sure people in NY would complain that seven is too many for your state. I personally believe that the more specialized sub-forums there are the better in terms of connecting questions with answers, but not many people apparently feel this way. I plan to start a poll in February to ask if a future poll should be created for "South Central PA" (Harrisburg/Lebanon/Lancaster/York/Carlisle), and I can already predict a lot of folks are going to be opposed to it on the grounds of there being "too many sub-forums."

Old 01-17-2008, 03:39 PM

80 posts, read 359,127 times
I agree with garmin239. Also, I would prefer the Buffalo sub-forum was eliminated...I will probably rarely visit it. I like seeing all of the upstate issues in one location. There really isn't a lot to sort through if you are only interested in one location. It seems to me all cities will have more exposure if they are not broken out.

Last edited by Miker; 01-17-2008 at 03:47 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 03:54 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
No. If Syracuse gets their own individual forum, so should Rochester and Buffalo get their own individual forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area