Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 11:17 AM

18 posts, read 23,884 times

Advertisements

My family and I can move to any area. We are currently in Brooklyn NY and I am sooo ready to get away. I was raised here and I have lived in the south for a few years as well so I know what I could get for my money but I don't want to go back to the south, at least nowhere further than Virginia, I want to be a little close to my family that is here in NYC but I still don't mind being like 6 hrs away. I have a child that is in Kindergarten. I have no license yet but that I can obtain. My husband works from home. With a $90K yearly income, where do you think is a good area to look at? I am looking to live in a suburban area with shopping, restaurants and just things to do. We are not into nightlife like clubbing or anything but we do like the movie theaters lol. I have looked up areas like Syracuse, Poughkeepsie, White Plains, Ithaca. I was excited about Syracuse until read multiple comments saying STAY AWAY FROM SYRACUSE AND LOOK ELSEWHERE. I just want a safe environment for my daughter, I can't even take her out to the park now because there is just too much violence, I can't stand it We would be looking to rent first, $1500 max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 12:15 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
It sounds like you need to take a road trip... drive throughout the northeast and feel it out.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:45 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
It sounds like you need to take a road trip... drive throughout the northeast and feel it out.
^This....Once you get an idea of which area feels right to you, then you can go from there. What are you looking for in a community?

Also, C-D, you can come up with more specific scenarios than this.....

Old 04-29-2015, 01:57 PM

All I want is to be able to walk the street with my daughter and not worry about stray bullets, be able to take her to the playground. Quiet safe area. I know all areas will have their share of crimes but if you have ever been to Brooklyn NY, you know what I am talking about, Literally a shooting almost, yes almost everyday. I have been just looking at google maps and seeing what areas have stores I am used to shopping at. My question was if you could work from home and live anywhere on the east coast where would it be? I was just hoping people would chyme in and post areas that I maybe not have thought about....so I could then look into those areas.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGrL30 View Post
All I want is to be able to walk the street with my daughter and not worry about stray bullets, be able to take her to the playground. Quiet safe area. I know all areas will have their share of crimes but if you have ever been to Brooklyn NY, you know what I am talking about, Literally a shooting almost, yes almost everyday. I have been just looking at google maps and seeing what areas have stores I am used to shopping at. My question was if you could work from home and live anywhere on the east coast where would it be? I was just hoping people would chyme in and post areas that I maybe not have thought about....so I could then look into those areas.
So, you are looking for a suburban area you can walk in then? I'm just going by what you have posted so far. What about schools? Do you have a car or do you need to be close to public transportation? Anything else?

Also, you may want to post a thread in the General US forum as well, given that you are looking within a region versus a specific area.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, you are looking for a suburban area you can walk in then? I'm just going by what you have posted so far. What about schools? Do you have a car or do you need to be close to public transportation? Anything else?

Also, you may want to post a thread in the General US forum as well, given that you are looking within a region versus a specific area.
In my OP I stated all that you just asked.....I don't have a license but we have 2 vehicles. My husband can take me where I need to go until I get a license. I don't know how to move this post to the General forum.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGrL30 View Post
In my OP I stated all that you just asked.....I don't have a license but we have 2 vehicles. My husband can take me where I need to go until I get a license. I don't know how to move this post to the General forum.
If you want a suburb(or even a good portion of the city)in the area, then I wouldn't worry about anything being similar to what you are describing in regards to where you live in Brooklyn. I will just throw out there that one of the villages may be a good fit.

I believe a moderator can move the thread for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area