U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:37 AM

81 posts, read 209,231 times

Advertisements

We are listing my wife's car on Craigslist for sale. I've always traded my used cars in at the dealership, and have no experience in selling one privately before. I tried reading the NY DMV site, but it's a little confusing to me. From what I can gather, these are the steps:

1) Give the vehicle title to the buyer (he/she will then take it to the DMV themselves and have the title transferred).

2) Provide a bill of receipt. Basically, a sales receipt to confirm the sale and price, and for the seller to take to the DMV to pay the sales tax with.

I will have to remove the license plate and the registration sticker from the car. Is this it in terms of paperwork? Anything else that I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 08:52 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,962,953 times
You have to receive the money, sign your name where indicated, and write up a bill of sale. Yep- that's it. It could be written on a napkin and one sentence long. The buyer will likely ask you to put down a lower price, as a head's up from me, so they don't have to pay so much in sales tax.

Be sure to not cancel car insurance on it until you've brought the plates back to the DMV, to cancel registration. There are fines if a car is registered but not insured, from the very first day.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:34 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,717,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crease123 View Post
We are listing my wife's car on Craigslist for sale. I've always traded my used cars in at the dealership, and have no experience in selling one privately before. I tried reading the NY DMV site, but it's a little confusing to me. From what I can gather, these are the steps:

1) Give the vehicle title to the buyer (he/she will then take it to the DMV themselves and have the title transferred).

2) Provide a bill of receipt. Basically, a sales receipt to confirm the sale and price, and for the seller to take to the DMV to pay the sales tax with.

I will have to remove the license plate and the registration sticker from the car. Is this it in terms of paperwork? Anything else that I'm missing?
You have to give a tax certificate for the sale. Basically, you escrow the tax on the sale price to DMV and you will get it back later once the buyer has paid the sales tax to DMV.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
You have to receive the money, sign your name where indicated, and write up a bill of sale. Yep- that's it. It could be written on a napkin and one sentence long. The buyer will likely ask you to put down a lower price, as a head's up from me, so they don't have to pay so much in sales tax.

Be sure to not cancel car insurance on it until you've brought the plates back to the DMV, to cancel registration. There are fines if a car is registered but not insured, from the very first day.
When you say sign your name where indicated, do you mean behind the vehicle title?

Old 05-19-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
You have to give a tax certificate for the sale. Basically, you escrow the tax on the sale price to DMV and you will get it back later once the buyer has paid the sales tax to DMV.
I have NEVER done this.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
When you say sign your name where indicated, do you mean behind the vehicle title?
Yes. About halfway down, on the back, to the right of the dark blue box that says "Seller." The Buyer doesn't need to write down anything until s/he goes to register it.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Yes. About halfway down, on the back, to the right of the dark blue box that says "Seller." The Buyer doesn't need to write down anything until s/he goes to register it.
Thanks Proulx, that's really helpful! One final question if you don't mind: what form of payment do you usually accept? I'm thinking money order or cash as I don't trust a check

Old 05-19-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks Proulx, that's really helpful! One final question if you don't mind: what form of payment do you usually accept? I'm thinking money order or cash as I don't trust a check
Cash. Always cash.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Cash. Always cash.
Out of curiosity, how come not money order?

Old 05-19-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how come not money order?
I don't trust that they're real... there are so many issuers. The only non-cash payment I've ever accepted was a cashier's check from a local bank (they took a loan), which required both of us to sign it... and then I received cash. lol - it was a fairly large amount, to expect someone to bring that much cash. And I had some concerns about counterfeit 100s anyway. I liked being handed proofed bills at the bank itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area