Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 2,668 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm 27 and have been single for a while now. I was in a very serious relationship and needed time to sort myself out. But now I think it's time for me to start a relationship that, perhaps, may lead to marriage.
I'll be moving to Syracuse in August for grad school and will stay in the city for at least 5 years. So, I would like to know how is the dating scene. Are there many single men or is it a more couples oriented place? I do not mean undergrads, as I am usually more attracted to older men (early to late 30's). Do people usually meet in bars, that do not cater to a lot of undergrads? What are the best places to meet people?
Also, is there usually prejudice against latin women? I'm Brazilian and already lived in the US for 3 years in a place (suburban CT) with a lot of immigrants from latin America and I could tell that there was a certain prejudice against them (as in they're mostly considered the help).

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 09:43 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,087,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyb View Post
Hello,

I'm 27 and have been single for a while now. I was in a very serious relationship and needed time to sort myself out. But now I think it's time for me to start a relationship that, perhaps, may lead to marriage.
I'll be moving to Syracuse in August for grad school and will stay in the city for at least 5 years. So, I would like to know how is the dating scene. Are there many single men or is it a more couples oriented place? I do not mean undergrads, as I am usually more attracted to older men (early to late 30's). Do people usually meet in bars, that do not cater to a lot of undergrads? What are the best places to meet people?
Also, is there usually prejudice against latin women? I'm Brazilian and already lived in the US for 3 years in a place (suburban CT) with a lot of immigrants from latin America and I could tell that there was a certain prejudice against them (as in they're mostly considered the help).

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Thank you!
We're not as rich as surburban Connecticut types, so I doubt that we'll consider you "the help".

Armory Square is probably still considered the town's social hotspot. It's an older crowd than it used to be.

I'm not sure, but I think that this section of the country has a relatively large surplus of single women to men.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:10 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,513,203 times
Eh I have mixed feelings on this.

After taking myself out of the dating scene for a few years to focus on myself, my final year in the Syracuse area I dated A LOT. It was exhausting. I was fed up with it. So what did I do? Moved to Philly, lol. And now I have a wonderful boyfriend with plans of marriage in the future.

I had just turned 29 when I left Syracuse (I'm now 30). My main group of friends were late 20s to mid 30s-ish and we did have quite a few single people in the group. Some people met in the group and went on to get married.

I tried the dating sites, mainly OKCupid and Plenty of Fish. Both are free, but there are paid sites like Match, Eharmony, etc. It got to the point where I had to expand my search radius because it was just the same people over and over. You can join a Meetup group to make friends - there's a specific 20s/30s one that is good. There may be dating groups and I know they have some dating events around the area that I remember hearing about. Since you will be in grad school, that would be a good place to make friends as well.

So, is Syracuse a good place to start a relationship? Sure, it can be. For me it wasn't. But for others it definitely is.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:22 PM

92,717 posts, read 123,032,038 times
I think you will get interest from a wide range of men, to be honest. It may be a matter of if you find any of them interesting and if they fit what you are looking for.

I wouldn't worry about being Brazilian in terms of dating and I dare say that it may garner more interest. There isn't much of a Brazilian/Lusophone community in the area like parts of CT, RI, MA or NJ, if that matters. Most of the Latin population in the area is Puerto Rican.

By the way, what are some things you like to do? That may help determine where to look.

One last question and some may think I'm crazy, but would you have an issue with someone in the military? There is a reason I am asking that question.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-14-2015 at 12:51 PM..

Old 05-14-2015, 01:02 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,809,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think you will get interest from a wide range of men, to be honest. It may be a matter of if you find any of them interesting and if they fit what you are looking for.

I wouldn't worry about being Brazilian in terms of dating and I dare say that it may garner more interest. There isn't much of a Brazilian/Lusophone community in the area like parts of CT, RI, MA or NJ, if that matters. Most of the Latin population in the area is Puerto Rican.

By the way, what are some things you like to do? That may help determine where to look.

One last question and some may think I'm crazy, but would you have an issue with someone in the military? There is a reason I am asking that question.
You ol' dirty dog...

J/k

Old 05-14-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
lol I always thought you were married with kids?

Old 05-14-2015, 01:12 PM

Guys, that isn't for me.....Yikes and Yowzers! lol

Think of what there is a higher proportion of in/around military bases in terms of gender and think of a location an hour north of here.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Guys, that isn't for me.....Yikes and Yowzers! lol

Think of what there is a higher proportion of in/around military bases in terms of gender and think of a location an hour north of here.
Hey you never know, anything is possible on the interwebz I've met up with people off this website before... proulxfamily is super rad.

But yeah I didn't run into very many soldiers from Drum. My friend married one though.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:28 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,809,392 times
Exactly, you never know on the innerweb. Young Brazilian girl can make many men forget the old lady pretty quick. I mean, there's a waxing method named after them...

All jokes aside, I think most areas of Upstate are better for women then for men. I haven't seen too much high quality female inventory Upstate as I have in warmer areas. Present company exluded. Women love the beach and warm locations, generally speaking.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Hey you never know, anything is possible on the interwebz I've met up with people off this website before... proulxfamily is super rad.

But yeah I didn't run into very many soldiers from Drum. My friend married one though.
Yeah, when I was stationed up there, it was very common for guys up there to come to Syracuse(or Kingston and Ottawa ON) to hang out, for nightlife, events, etc. So, that could be a potential option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area