U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:28 PM

7 posts, read 21,222 times

Advertisements

I have been reading through a ton of threads and looking at all of the pictures. Thank you for all of the information!!! It seems as though everyone that lives in Skaneateles loves it and the FM schools seem to be very good. So, here is my question. Are the home prices and taxes much higher in Skaneateles or are they about the same as Manlius? Are the schools about the same?

I plan to come out soon to see these areas but want to narrow down the locations I like before I get there.

Thanks, Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 03:18 PM

97 posts, read 292,642 times
Both are great towns. Skaneateles, since it's on a lake, has higher property values and I'm sure has higher taxes. That said, people in the Syracuse area have a different concept of what an expensive house is. Both are somewhat lacking in the diversity category - Skaneateles is upper class and around 95% white - but its a great place to go for a visit. The lake is great, and both villages have some of the best schools high property taxes can buy.

Both places are outside the city, Skaneateles is a 30-minute drive, while Manlius is only 15. You'll likely be going there for normal-priced shopping and groceries, doctor's appointments, and the like. Skaneatles is pretty far for a daily commute to work, especially since a lot of the offices are north of the city and Skaneateles is south. Jobs nonwithstanding, I'd choose Skaneateles. If it snows a lot and driving is difficult you'll want to be closer to work though.

This is a typical neighborhood in Dewitt, ImageeWittneighborhood2.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In fact I think a former highschool classmate lives on that street. That specific neighborhood is literally right next door to Manlius Pebble Hill, probably the best private school in the area. It could be a neighborhood in Manlius as well, subdevelopments look pretty much the same.

This is a typical neighborhood in Manlius, just for comparison
Image:Img 2454.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every neighborhood has its good views, but living on a hill, especially in Manlius, can occasionally be a pain in winter. Ask the neighbors how quick the plow usually comes in the mornings.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:07 AM

142 posts, read 558,889 times
Both are great choices. They both rank high in education and are great places to live. That said, I am, as my name suggests partial to Skaneateles. My husband and I lived in Skaneateles for 3 years in the late 80's/early 90's. We moved back to Ct for 10 years and then a short stint in Florida. Living in Florida made us realize how much missed a great school system, so we started thinking of moving. We chose Skaneateles. We wanted a close knit community with a superb school system. We've been here for 3 years now and are so happy with our decision. We have four kids, ranging in age from 7-16, so we've experienced all 4 schools in town. Classes are small and the teachers take the time to reach out to the kids. For example, everyday there is an "activity period" from 2:18-3:05 where each teacher is available to help any child who seeks help. (It is also the time when clubs meet). It has been a great resource for one of my kids who struggles a bit with schoolwork.
As far as distance to Syracuse, it is about 30 minutes and most local professionals work there. My husband commutes also, and it is not a big deal for us. That being said, I generally choose to stay local and not go into Syracuse for nights out. We're fortunate because we have some great restaurants in Skaneateles. Actually, we get people from Syracuse in our restaurants.
House prices in Skaneateles range from the low $100's to the millions. Right now there are about 100 houses on the market, with most in the 3-400K range, I would estimate. Actually, there are a bunch in the 200 range as well that are quite nice. Also, Skaneateles is divided up into two sections; the village and the town. Village homes pay a higher mil rate, but on the plus side, they use the village electric company which charges substantially less than the National Grid.
Feel free to email me and I can give you more info about Skaneateles. Also, if you do a search on my name here, you'll find more posts about Skaneateles.
Best of luck with your endeavors.
Joanne (Skaneatelesmom)

Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 11,886 times
Smile making the move to Manlius, NY

Moving to Manlius in June and scare to pieces....I have 3 kids, the girls are 10 and 8. And we chose Manlius, for the FM school district. Any suggestions how to get them acclamated and making friends for the summer. We are moving from Md. and the kids here were not nice. Thanks. M

Old 03-19-2009, 08:54 AM

2,389 posts, read 3,113,629 times
Minzinna- I would make sure to participate in village events. To acclamate most, I'd also join the YMCA. It seems like EVERYONE is there and it's a tremendous resource for families... the water park inside is fantastic, free childcare for two hours, twice a day (it's open longer than that but there's a two hour limit for each check-in), and there are a lot of free clubs, craft times, children's gym, and sports and swimming lessons available to all members. We no longer belong because our schedule doesn't allow frequent enough use of the facility but when the kids are older (they're currently 2, 3, and 4 years old), we'll re-join for sure.

Here are a few links that should help your family really jump into the community - and try to make the 4th of July parade, if you can! Great fun... Stickley chair races down the main street, bbqs, a HUGE parade, ice cream at Sno-Top, petting zoo, street fair, dancing and live entertainment, and then the fireworks display after dusk.

In general, I'd say that the area if very sports, math/science, AND "the arts" oriented. I'd love to say that you won't have to worry about cliques but they do exist... fortunately, they all co-exist well if the kids are active in *something.* Embrace the area and it will fully embrace you back. Your children should do VERY well if they start school already knowing a lot of the kids.

Welcome to Manlius!! If you have any specific questions, I'm glad to help. You can PM me through my profile, if you prefer.

Town of Manlius: Recreation (http://www.townofmanlius.org/old/Manlius_Recreation.html - broken link)
http://www.eastareafamilyymca.org/eastarea/ (broken link)
Village of Manlius (http://www.manliusvillage.org/recreation.php - broken link)
Village of Manlius (http://www.manliusvillage.org/current.php - broken link)
New Page 2 (http://www.fmsoccerclub.com/Rec%20Soccer.htm - broken link)
FMPOPWARNER - Home

Old 03-23-2009, 10:43 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,952,242 times
Syracuse's eastern suburbs, and more specifically Manlius has a sizable amount of upwardly mobile professionals that have relocated to CNY from outside of the area. There will be quite a few families that will be new to the district and Greater Syracuse.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 11,886 times
Thanks Proulxfamily, for the heads up. It makes it less scary when you have a direction to go towards. I will keep you posted. thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 03:19 PM

32,039 posts, read 38,156,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minzinna View Post
Thanks Proulxfamily, for the heads up. It makes it less scary when you have a direction to go towards. I will keep you posted. thanks
You'll be fine. Fayetteville-Manlius schools are in questionably the most affluent community in the Syracuse area. There are plenty of activities for children there, great schools and safe. Really, there isn't much to worry about, except for maybe a few "snobby" people. I will say even that area, for being very affluent for our area, isn't really that bad in that regard.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:33 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,952,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You'll be fine. Fayetteville-Manlius schools are in questionably the most affluent community in the Syracuse area. There are plenty of activities for children there, great schools and safe. Really, there isn't much to worry about, except for maybe a few "snobby" people. I will say even that area, for being very affluent for our area, isn't really that bad in that regard.
While there are some "snobby" people, this can be expected in any upper middle class to affluent community that attracts those that are successful and ambitious. Contrary to popular belief not everyone in F-M makes six figure salaries, drives a Mercedes Benz and lives in a 4,000 SF home. Trust me the people in F-M are saintly compared to the northern suburbs of NYC (Westchester County), Long Island, communities along Philadelphia's Main Line and Boston's North Shore. I've always found that people that act the snobbiest are typically nouveaux upper middle class that try too hard to portray this upmarket image. Many came from or had parents that came from modest backgrounds (ie. the Nort Side) and own service businesses that don't require a high level of education to manage.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:45 PM

2,389 posts, read 3,113,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I've always found that people that act the snobbiest are typically nouveaux upper middle class that try too hard to portray this upmarket image. Many came from or had parents that came from modest backgrounds (ie. the Nort Side) and own service businesses that don't require a high level of education to manage.
Very true, Royce! A lot of the "nouveaux" affluent here are those types OR in love with the suburban mecca stereotype and really want to embrace it OR are from the types of areas you mentioned - they tend to stay in all of the developments, just outside the villages of Fayetteville, Manlius, Dewitt, and Jamesville.

Those in the villages themselves (ie those you'll see most often if you come into town) are going to be your Millionaire Next Door type. The two professors who have lived in their perfectly maintained, 1.5 story cape with loads of character since they married in 1968 and love to see the neighborhood children running around and raising he||, despite their hushed grumbling. LOL. They're the kind who trudge to the back corner of their yards, where the compost pile is, with their bucket of scraps from the day... the really warm personality type of people that made me fall in love with Manlius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area