U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2015, 12:52 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,020 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

Hi,

I know I have searched this forum for this information and find some posts from years ago so I don't know if things change around the cities a lot or what, but We have three children and will be moving to the Syracuse area. Our children in ages would be in middle school (6th grade) and elementary school (4th grade) and an infant. We are coming from a extremely small town where the total elementary school pre k- 12th grade (schools are connected) is a total of 896 students.

We are looking to rent for a year before buying a house. We are looking for a safe neighborhood with a good school district. We also want to be accessible to a store and not have to drive too far. Right now we have to drive about 30 minutes to just get to a store. I also don't want my children going through a culture shock of entering a school with so many children.

What areas could you reccomend us looking into? Any specific rental properties? Although a house would be ideal, We don't mind living in a nice town home community or apartments as long as they are large enough (at least 3 bedroom) and spacious. Thank you for any information possible. We will be coming up this week and I would love to look around based on recommendations since I have never been to this area.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2015, 02:35 PM
 
56,244 posts, read 80,390,973 times
Reputation: 12404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessx3 View Post
Hi,

I know I have searched this forum for this information and find some posts from years ago so I don't know if things change around the cities a lot or what, but We have three children and will be moving to the Syracuse area. Our children in ages would be in middle school (6th grade) and elementary school (4th grade) and an infant. We are coming from a extremely small town where the total elementary school pre k- 12th grade (schools are connected) is a total of 896 students.

We are looking to rent for a year before buying a house. We are looking for a safe neighborhood with a good school district. We also want to be accessible to a store and not have to drive too far. Right now we have to drive about 30 minutes to just get to a store. I also don't want my children going through a culture shock of entering a school with so many children.

What areas could you reccomend us looking into? Any specific rental properties? Although a house would be ideal, We don't mind living in a nice town home community or apartments as long as they are large enough (at least 3 bedroom) and spacious. Thank you for any information possible. We will be coming up this week and I would love to look around based on recommendations since I have never been to this area.

Thanks again!
When you say access to a store, are you referring to big box shopping or just stores like a grocery store, pharmacy, convenient store, etc?

Also, where will the place of employment be located in the area? I ask, because that could have some influence on areas to look into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 03:40 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,020 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
When you say access to a store, are you referring to big box shopping or just stores like a grocery store, pharmacy, convenient store, etc?

Also, where will the place of employment be located in the area? I ask, because that could have some influence on areas to look into.
Thank you for your reply!

Working will be in Syracuse and access to stores such as grocery, pharmacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 04:18 PM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,961,458 times
Reputation: 1973
Willowbrook has 3bd in the village of Manlius (Fayetteville-Manlius School District: Fayetteville Elementary and Wellwood Middle) #315-692-4950

I'll message you with pictures I took for someone else a while ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 05:15 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,020 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Willowbrook has 3bd in the village of Manlius (Fayetteville-Manlius School District: Fayetteville Elementary and Wellwood Middle) #315-692-4950

I'll message you with pictures I took for someone else a while ago.
Thank you! I thought about that area originally. I have been kind of researching all day. I came across Baldwinsville? I like the breakdown of the schools k-5, 6-7, 8-9, and then 10-12. I think that may be less shocking for the kids, but I just don't know the area enough to know if I would want to live there permanently. We will be coming up this week to check out areas. I saw some apartments called Center Pointe, but I don't see very many good reviews on there. Does anyone have any experience there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 05:39 PM
 
56,244 posts, read 80,390,973 times
Reputation: 12404
Look into Braeside in Marcellus due to having 3 bedrooms and it is a smaller(but growing) school district with all of its schools near each other is the village. It is one of the "best" school districts in the area and has a nice, quaint village with some stores you can walk to. Nice park in the village as well. Braeside | Dawn Homes Management

Marcellus School District

Town of Marcellus
Village of Marcellus, New York
Marcellus Park | Town of Marcellus
http://goo.gl/maps/v9EB7

In spite of reviews, if you are coming to visit the area, take a look at the apartments/rentals for yourself. Many times, the personalities of those in management may cause people to write negative reviews.

Baldwinsville has the nice village and schools they could walk to, but is a bigger school district than F-M in terms of enrollment(4th or 5th biggest school district in the metro area and growing).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-14-2015 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 09:02 PM
 
8 posts, read 7,020 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Look into Braeside in Marcellus due to having 3 bedrooms and it is a smaller(but growing) school district with all of its schools near each other is the village. It is one of the "best" school districts in the area and has a nice, quaint village with some stores you can walk to. Nice park in the village as well. Braeside | Dawn Homes Management

Marcellus School District

Town of Marcellus
Village of Marcellus, New York
Marcellus Park | Town of Marcellus
http://goo.gl/maps/v9EB7

In spite of reviews, if you are coming to visit the area, take a look at the apartments/rentals for yourself. Many times, the personalities of those in management may cause people to write negative reviews.

Baldwinsville has the nice village and schools they could walk to, but is a bigger school district than F-M in terms of enrollment(4th or 5th biggest school district in the metro area and growing).
Thank you so much I will check those out! I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2015, 09:14 PM
 
56,244 posts, read 80,390,973 times
Reputation: 12404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessx3 View Post
Thank you so much I will check those out! I really appreciate it.
No problem and one thing I noticed is that Braeside allows pets as well. So, that may be something to consider.

Just to throw out another option in case of other options falling through, while it is a pretty good drive, this complex is located in a village with a very good and small school district with quick highway access to Syracuse via the Thruway to 690 East into Syracuse: Village Manor I & II Apartments - Apartment - Weedsport, NY There is a grocery store, a few restaurants, a library and a couple of other stores. Weedsport Central School District It is a school district that is more in line with your current SD, as it has an elementary school and a Jr/Sr High School and it may have around 900-1000 students in the whole district.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-14-2015 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 12:14 PM
 
56,244 posts, read 80,390,973 times
Reputation: 12404
While this is also quite a drive, but it is a smaller community with very good schools and the complex is near a shopping center. Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - Syracuse & Surrounding Areas - Fennaway Green Apts.

There isn't any infrastructure for walking to the plaza though. So, I'm not sure if that would be an issue or not.

Cazenovia CSD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2015, 08:42 AM
 
56,244 posts, read 80,390,973 times
Reputation: 12404
A couple of other complexes that could be considered, again if your personal preferences fall through, are these 2 older complexes that have 3 bedroom rentals: Syracuse NY - Fanklin Park Apartments
ESM School District


Syracuse Apartments | Apartments in Syracuse
Jamesville Dewitt School District

While both are close to stores, especially the second complex, there isn't any walkable infrastructure near either complex. Both are in good school districts(East Syracuse-Minoa and Jamesville-DeWitt, with J-D being ranked higher/better rep), both are still bigger than the district you are coming from. Reviews may be mixed due to the age of the buildings, but I would still look, just in case. Both are closer to Syracuse than the other complexes/communities mentioned so far.

Also, this website is great for viewing school information: New York State Education Department Data Site

In terms of enrollment within the total school district, Baldwinsville has 5,535 students, Fayetteville-Manlius has 4,235, Marcellus has 1,754, West Genesee has 4,837, Weedsport has 822, Cazenovia has 1,528, East Syracuse-Minoa has 3,263 and Jamesville-DeWitt has 2,889. This is according to the NYSED School Report Card for 2013-2014 and for grades K-12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:35 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top