U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tim Horton's vs. Dunkin Donuts
Tim Horton's 16 66.67%
Dunkn Donuts 7 29.17%
They're Both Crap 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 10:14 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,497,025 times

Advertisements

I feel like Syracuse is halfway between Tim-Horton's-obsessed Buffalo and Dunkin-Donuts-obsessed Massachusetts. What do you prefer and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 10:25 AM

3,179 posts, read 1,604,775 times
I don't like either but I prefer Tim Horton's. They have a larger menu and their food tastes much better to me. I don't think Buffalo is obsessed with Tim Horton's its just that there are many locations. They also have appealing sandwiches vs Dunkin's not so much.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:47 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,293,414 times
Tim Horton's was founded by Toronto Maple Leafs hockey player Tim Horton, who played for the Buffalo Sabres at the end of his career. In fact, he was killed in a car wreck while a member of the Sabres, but his restaurants were already an ubiquitous fixture in southern Ontario before then. Prior to the 9/11 attacks, Buffalonians were used to crossing into Canada virtually on a whim, so they were very familiar with Timmy Ho's, so Buffalo was the logical expansion point.

It isn't just Buffalo that likes Tim Horton's; it's all of WNY. The owners of the Timmy Ho's franchises in the Jamestown area just opened their fourth location because the other three are so busy, especially in the mornings.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:04 AM

4,244 posts, read 9,677,700 times
If you want to see a QSR moving at auctioneer speed like the stories of McDonald's in the days of yore, go to a Tims in Niagara Falls, Ont. Cars barely stop going through the drive-thru. It seems the quality diminishes with increasing distance from the Canadian border. I went to a Tims on 34th St in NYC that was pretty bad even by the City's fast food standards.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:00 PM

56,252 posts, read 80,408,935 times
I don't really prefer either except for Original Frozen Lemonades at Tim's and maybe a Coolatta from Dunkin Donuts. I may get something else, but those 2 things are the only things I really mess with.

Syracuse also has some locally owned coffee companies/cafés with multiple locations like Freedom of Espresso, Cafe Kubal and Recess Coffee.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:18 PM

476 posts, read 845,265 times
I grew up in the Syracuse area (born in the late 50's) so I prefer Duncan, never heard of TH until I moved to northern Maine 6 years ago (lived in Kansas City for 15 years prior) and really don't care for them. JMHO

Old 11-04-2015, 02:32 AM

605 posts, read 360,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
It isn't just Buffalo that likes Tim Horton's; it's all of WNY. The owners of the Timmy Ho's franchises in the Jamestown area just opened their fourth location because the other three are so busy, especially in the mornings.
I remember an article in the Buffalo News, probably written within the past year (and I think it may have been the day's cover story) where some company rep mentioned, despite the perception (and reality in my opinion) that Tim Horton's is a ubiquitous presence in the Buffalo area, that the company would actually like to add a significant number of additional locations. Some figure was quoted as their rule of thumb for opening up a new location--one per, I don't know, 10,000 people might be considered saturation point. Then again, it's probably lower, since at this point I'd venture to guess there are over 100 throughout WNY (so they might already be somewhat close to a 1 location per 10,000 people figure...also, you say there are now four in Jamestown, and we're looking at a population of around 30k there, although surrounding towns would have to push the total market population above 40k). I'm sure you could find the article in the BN archives if you were more concerned than I about remembering the stats quoted (the article did mention the exact number of WNY Tim Horton's locations in existence at time of writing, I can say that with certainty)

Old 11-04-2015, 02:37 AM

605 posts, read 360,064 times
also, Dawn.Davenport, I refrained from voting in your poll as I considered myself ineligible as a Buffalonian...but if asked, I give the edge to TH on the basis of...breakfast wraps

Old 11-04-2015, 10:45 AM

60 posts, read 86,481 times
Dunkin' every time. Their coffee is better and that's all that matters.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:55 AM

3,179 posts, read 1,604,775 times
DD is basically a coffee and donut place where Timmies has much more variety. Timmies frozen lemonade and hot chocolate are so sweet it makes me ill. I do like the sandwiches at Timmes especially the turkey bacon club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area