U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:53 AM

6 posts, read 20,908 times

Advertisements

I would looking albany. I live in albany and work at Albany Medical Center. It is a great location and a great area to raise a family. The winters are great and the roads are cleared quickly, Plus there are 3 hospital within 5 miles of each-other. I would recommend albany it has a lot to offer..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 09:34 PM

137 posts, read 236,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann1804 View Post
Please I need help. Live here in Fort Worth, TX right now. Have the house up for sale. Looking to relocate to upstate NY, both my husband and I are from NY. Looking at upstate because we can not afford to live down state. Where is a nice town upstate that is safe to raise kids, great schools, close to shopping and dining??? Also my husband is a nurse and would need hospitals that are close by, especially when driving in the winter. We need affordable housing as well, we have four kids. We have been in touch with a realtor in Amherst which I here is a real safe place to raise a family. Any comments would be greatly appreciated about this town and surrounding areas. Also am looking maybe in Syracuse or the surrounding areas of Syracuse where it is a little closer to downstate where are realitives are. We plan on coming up early next year to make a decision on where we are buying. I really need your help guys on finding a great place to live. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please email me at maryann1804@yahoo.com as I do not check these posts all of the time.
Thanks!
maryann
Amherst is a great town.

Very safe and clean.

I'm assuming that Fort Worth has the typical illegal alien issues that most of Texas has , if so Amherst would be culture shock in the positive regard.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:18 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,887,255 times
Syracuse has hundreds of ads for nurses all the time, some with sign-on bonuses.

The schools are great. There's a brand new transportation center that will get you downstate with ease. There's good shopping, and lots of cultural things going on. It's also situated nicely for weekend access to mountains, lakes, and rivers for recreational activities.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,722 times
hello! how about some info to help me decide if i can move upstate with only less than a thousand to spare for mortgage (less really), im a nurse (how's the salary? im from nyc and i won't compare it, i know) , a 13 month old boy and we're asian...how's the acceptance there? and where? my husband is the full time caregiver of our boy for now. any suggestions pls, tyvm!!

Old 12-19-2006, 04:54 AM

2,116 posts, read 2,744,734 times
^ hey mattsmom. I think it would be worth taking a look at Ithaca. It is about 5 hours from the city (less if you have a heavy foot and hit all the lights ), there's a fairly strong and active Asian population (about 13 % in the city, most being Chinese), and the school system is quite good (once your son becomes of age).

The cost of living is a bit high when compared to other upstate cities its size. Unemployment usually runs around 3% or less. Housing runs the full range from cheap (maybe $50,000) to grand (over a million). I'm sure there are at least some nursing jobs in the area, there's Cayuga Medical Center, 2 colleges, and several nursing home/assisted living type communities.

The city is very liberal politically, but the county (Tompkins) is rather conservative, at least by comparison. Just thought I'd throw old Ithaca out there as a possible option. Good luck in your search, and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:48 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,887,255 times
There are four large hospitals in Syracuse and tons of doctor's offices for jobs. Also a couple of colleges in the city that provide varied culture so you should have no problem. Here is a quicksearch link to give you an idea of home prices- www.syracuserealestate.com

Old 01-22-2008, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,573 times
Default RN from upstate

I live in the Utica area. I am an RN and have worked in Albany most recently. Albany was ALWAYS looking for nurses. There are many excellent schools and easy commutes to the city ( hop a train for about 4 hours or drive it in about 3 1/4). Within 1 1/2 hours you can be in the Adirondack Mountains, 45 minutes to skiing, a lot of cultural activities there as well. In this area (Utica), the pay is much less. Do not let initial salaries fool you - agencies are a great way to get top pay, and often work into permanent jobs. YES, there are still "travel" nursing jobs in Albany, with decent rates. When I was there they were offering 2 1/4 time for certain shifts just to fill the nursing shortage! Good luck on your move. I hear Syracuse is good as well, cost of living is O.K., schools in certain towns excellent....

Old 01-23-2008, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 9,416 times
The Oneonta Cooperstown area is good. There are two growing hospitals, 2 mid sized colleges, low crime and affordable housing(in the Oneonta area)

Old 01-23-2008, 12:46 PM

382 posts, read 1,379,446 times
Albany, Syracuse, Binghamton (Binghamton is not all dumpy).

Old 01-23-2008, 01:03 PM

37 posts, read 118,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwick View Post
Both Rochester and Syracuse are subject to lake effect snow storms which means they get huge snowfalls throughout the winter season. It's not uncommon to get dumped on to the tune of 1 or 2 feet of snow during a single snow storm.

Other areas to consider include Ithaca and Binghamton...both are the centers of major universities, have large medical centers, are historically safe and clean, have high quality educational systems, and the cost of housing and living are quite reasonable. Also, while they do get snow storms, their snow isn't as severe, and prolonged, as it is in Syracuse and Rochester. Plus, both Ithaca and Binghamton are smaller cities, with abundant shopping and are close to major transportation hubs and both have smaller airports. Additionally, both Ithaca and Binghamton are noted for having a lot of cultural opportunities due to their association with the major universities located in each city. I'd pick either city above Rochester or Syracuse.

Huh? 1 or 2 foot snow storms are few and far between in Rochester. Plus guess what, they have these things called plows that take away the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area