U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2009, 07:12 AM
 
1,544 posts, read 3,067,970 times
Reputation: 1605

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I think that is likely the case for me(even though I really don't have any affinity to palm trees). Growing up in Florida, the largest hill or mountain is Space Mountain at Disney World (actually not a joke), so the thought of driving around some of the winding side roads during the winter would be a concern for us (not to mention my ears pop every time I go through an area...feels like being on an airplane...and is uncomfortable after the first 10 ten times). Plus we have little kids and the Northern burbs appeared to be full of kids, so figured our kids would have an easier time adjusting in a larger pool of kids...so the larger school district wasnt necessarily negative(and slightly positive) from our point of view.

But I'm a big proponent of "it takes all kinds"...so I see the appeal of other areas for some. I'm actually a bigger fan of the older Craftsman or Victorian style homes that we've seen in the more established neighborhoods personally, but my wife doesnt share that enthusiasm.
I have to admit the ear popping does get annoying. I guess I'm just used to it and don't notice. The nothern suburbs do trend younger in terms of median age and size of families so this is definitely a plus. One of Syracuse's strengths is that there is a diversity of housing types and communities. The northern suburbs remind me of the midwest and some parts of the south whereas the western suburbs remind me of some Pittsburgh suburbs and middle class Philadelphia communities outside of the Mainline. The eastern suburbs have a strong east coast and more fast paced feel like Hartford suburbs west of the Connecticut River and to a degree like upper middle class towns/villages near Boston, New York, Washington, DC and some mainline communities outside Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2009, 02:17 PM
 
56,296 posts, read 80,484,640 times
Reputation: 12425
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
You make good points. Many people like areas that remind them of places where they used to live. I grew up in Westchester County, NY and like rolling hills and am accustomed to more sparsley populated, affluent communities with larger homes on big lots. The Eastern Suburbs remind me of a more affordable and laid back version of some New York and Philadelphia area suburbs. While more upscale and perhaps impersonal, I'm used to this atmosphere. Conversely, the nothern suburbs minus the palm trees and architecture remind me of Florida and points south due to the more sprawling developments, shopping centers, and larger school districts. I can see why this environment can be attractive to many people. I guess to each their own.
I always thought of the Northern suburbs reminding me of Canadian communities and the Southern towns are like the South with a rural feel, as well as some nice developments mixed in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,327,988 times
Reputation: 39846
Okay, so we've found a good short-term situation in Strathmore on Wellesley - anybody got anything good or bad to say about that street? Not saying I'd live inside the city limits forever, but for now this is about 3 miles from my husband's new job so he wants to try it out. What do ya'll think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2009, 08:06 PM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,964,116 times
Reputation: 1973
I just looked it up on Mapquest... I'd say you're fine. On the other side (east) of the park is decidedly NOT fine but for whatever reason, that park is a good enough natural barrier from the south side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2009, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,327,988 times
Reputation: 39846
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I just looked it up on Mapquest... I'd say you're fine. On the other side (east) of the park is decidedly NOT fine but for whatever reason, that park is a good enough natural barrier from the south side.
Thanks so much, you've really eased my mind

Tried to give you some rep, but you know the story...

So what is the name of the neighborhood south of Strathmore that is not so good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2009, 10:12 PM
 
2,440 posts, read 4,964,116 times
Reputation: 1973
Opinions vary... I tend to be more careful than some and not as skittish as others.

I prefer staying out of the south side all together. Look up a map of the area you'll be living in... I'd definitely stay west of South Ave., Upper Onondaga Park and Most Holy Rosary Church (on Roberts Ave.), preferably also north of Glenwood (on your street, there's only one block south of it and it's fine- nice and tucked away), south of Bellevue... on the west and south sides, it seems that elevation is key. The higher up you are, the safer the neighborhood is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 10:12 AM
 
56,296 posts, read 80,484,640 times
Reputation: 12425
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thanks so much, you've really eased my mind

Tried to give you some rep, but you know the story...

So what is the name of the neighborhood south of Strathmore that is not so good?
What proulx said is pretty accurate. Some might call the area East of South Ave. the Brighton neighborhood. Once you get to Valley Drive, it is better too. North of Onondaga Ave. is rougher too.

I will say this though, Syracuse is not a city where you can't drive through pretty much anywhere. You can drive through the South side and be fine. Like I said about the crime here, it is pretty much between people that know each other and/or are involved in "the street life". You hardly hear about "random" crime here. During the day and even at night, you see all kinds of people driving throughout the city.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-14-2009 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 10:32 AM
 
56,296 posts, read 80,484,640 times
Reputation: 12425
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, so we've found a good short-term situation in Strathmore on Wellesley - anybody got anything good or bad to say about that street? Not saying I'd live inside the city limits forever, but for now this is about 3 miles from my husband's new job so he wants to try it out. What do ya'll think?
Here's Wellesley on Google Maps: wellesley ave., syracuse ny - Google Maps

You should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 11:48 AM
 
357 posts, read 834,913 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What proulx said is pretty accurate. Some might call the area East of South Ave. the Brighton neighborhood. Once you get to Valley Drive, it is better too. North of Onondaga Ave. is rougher too.

I will say this though, Syracuse is not a city where you can't drive through pretty much anywhere. You can drive through the South side and be fine. Like I said about the crime here, it is pretty much between people that know each other and/or are involved in "the street life". You hardly hear about "random" crime here. During the day and even at night, you see all kinds of people driving throughout the city.
I agree with ckhthankgod on this. I used to drive through the south side of the city a lot and never had any problems or felt that I would have a problem. It is a poorer area of the city so it doesn't look amazing with manicured lawns or anything. I would hope these people would be spending their money on food for their kids rather than lawn care

I think some people worry that newcomers would think all of Syracuse looks like the Southside and judge Syracuse based only on the Southside so they want newcomers to avoid the area at all costs. I guess it's some of that shame thing; we don't want people to see the areas of our lives that don't look so perfect.

However, strathmore is a really wonderful area and I think you will enjoy living there. The first post in this thread connects you to another thread with the neighborhood association. I would connect with them as they would probably be able to connect you right in with your area neighbors and other events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,327,988 times
Reputation: 39846
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Opinions vary... I tend to be more careful than some and not as skittish as others.

I prefer staying out of the south side all together. Look up a map of the area you'll be living in... I'd definitely stay west of South Ave., Upper Onondaga Park and Most Holy Rosary Church (on Roberts Ave.), preferably also north of Glenwood (on your street, there's only one block south of it and it's fine- nice and tucked away), south of Bellevue... on the west and south sides, it seems that elevation is key. The higher up you are, the safer the neighborhood is.
You sound like ME, lol!! I am definitely more careful than some and not as skitish as others

Thank you, thank you for all this great info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top