Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:00 AM

10 posts, read 17,660 times

Advertisements

Apologies in advance if this topic has been covered before.

My girlfriend and I are looking to move to the Liverpool area. She is a freelance web developer and designer so work isn't much of an issue off the bat. Basically we are sick of Long Islands snobby egotistical mentality with heavy commute times and Manhattan like crowds. We currently live in smithtown and pay 1600 for a one bedroom in a complex which makes my blood boil ever since I have done some research on how cheap it is in Liverpool.

Basically my question to you guys, is Liverpool a safe area? How could we go from 1600 for a one bedroom to around 650-750? Does the price reflect that specific area or is that just how cheap it is living upstate ? I honestly don't know why people try to form a life here on long island when you could literally cut in half your expenses upstate?? On top of that my girlfriend and I feel the quality of life living upstate is much better for us. We are very outdoorsy and have a dog so we spend most of our free time hiking and finding beautiful places to walk. Any other suggestions on areas near Liverpool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 08:00 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Liverpool is generally safe. However, you can have a range of apartments and especially in the Candlelight Lane neighborhood/area, which can run the gamut in terms of renters.

I would say that most apartments for a 1 bedroom are in the 750-900 range, give or take. If there are apartments with the same rental price as the current Long Island apartment, unless it is in Downtown Syracuse, it is likely at least a 2 or more likely, a 3 bedroom apartment and a nice one at that. Here is an example of an apartment complex in the area that I lived in at one time: Clayton Manor Apartments - Liverpool, NY | Apartment Finder

Due to demand, it has expanded since I've lived there and the same company built another complex down the road about 7 years ago or so. So, there are plenty of options in the area.

If you look at "Greater" Liverpool(zip codes 13088, 13090 and a portion of 13041), there are about 55,000 people in that area. So, it is more than the village, which has 2600 people within 1 square mile.

Also, if you want suburban and walkable in the northern suburbs, look into villages like Baldwinsville and North Syracuse, along with the village of Liverpool. Look at sites like Apartment Finder, Sutton Companies and Morgan Communities, among others. Listings should show if they are dog/pet friendly.

You may also like Onondaga Lake Park in the village of Liverpool and some of the county, town and village parks. For instance, North Syracuse(village) has several parks for a village of 6800 people.

I hope this helps......

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-04-2016 at 08:10 AM..

Old 01-04-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Liverpool is generally safe. However, you can have a range of apartments and especially in the Candlelight Lane neighborhood/area, which can run the gamut in terms of renters.

I would say that most apartments for a 1 bedroom are in the 750-900 range, give or take. If there are apartments with the same rental price as the current Long Island apartment, unless it is in Downtown Syracuse, it is likely at least a 2 or more likely, a 3 bedroom apartment and a nice one at that. Here is an example of an apartment complex in the area that I lived in at one time: Clayton Manor Apartments - Liverpool, NY | Apartment Finder

Due to demand, it has expanded since I've lived there and the same company built another complex down the road about 7 years ago or so. So, there are plenty of options in the area.

If you look at "Greater" Liverpool(zip codes 13088, 13090 and a portion of 13041), there are about 55,000 people in that area. So, it is more than the village, which has 2600 people within 1 square mile.

Also, if you want suburban and walkable in the northern suburbs, look into villages like Baldwinsville and North Syracuse, along with the village of Liverpool. Look at sites like Apartment Finder, Sutton Companies and Morgan Communities, among others. Listings should show if they are dog/pet friendly.

You may also like Onondaga Lake Park in the village of Liverpool and some of the county, town and village parks. For instance, North Syracuse(village) has several parks for a village of 6800 people.

I hope this helps......
Very helpful. Thank you. We have looked and heard great things about the surrounding suburbs. We prefer simple and quiet but not too desolate. In terms of renting an apartment in a complex for 750-900 is amazing to us as we pay 1600 that does not include heat electric water etc... I imagine everybody moves out on their own at a much earlier age up there due to it being so obtainable to live on you're own. Most people in Long Island don't move out of their parents until they are 25 at least being that rent is sky high in every complex.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseburt View Post
Very helpful. Thank you. We have looked and heard great things about the surrounding suburbs. We prefer simple and quiet but not too desolate. In terms of renting an apartment in a complex for 750-900 is amazing to us as we pay 1600 that does not include heat electric water etc... I imagine everybody moves out on their own at a much earlier age up there due to it being so obtainable to live on you're own. Most people in Long Island don't move out of their parents until they are 25 at least being that rent is sky high in every complex.
Yes, if you have a decent job, it is possible to get at least a decent rental. It may just come down to where you want to live, budget and the amount of room/size you need.

You can find quiet in the northern suburbs and there is plenty of shopping as well. There are about roughly about 150,000 people living in that area between the towns of Salina, Clay, Cicero, Van Buren and Lysander(including the villages). So, it isn't desolate.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:17 AM

973 posts, read 1,411,947 times
Also look at the school districts for these Syracuse area locations you are looking at. While marriage and kids are probably not on your radar, if you move to an area that you like, you will probably grow attached to it and want to stay. As you get older, a good school district and the stable home values that go with it, as well as low crime and high quality of life, will all be important. My understanding is that there are many good districts in the Syracuse area, so you should be able to find one.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:10 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Yes it is much cheaper to live in Upstate NY than Long Island. Liverpool is fine for safety, with the Village of Liverpool rarely ever has problems. Any of the villages will be mostly walkable with amenities such as restaurants, bars, shops, etc. Liverpool is great for outdoorsy people with Onondaga Lake Park and there's also a dog park on the western end of the park. Other similar villages include Baldwinsville, Manlius, and Fayetteville among others. Craigslist is good for finding private flats and houses in the Villages. I lived in Greater Liverpool for a year and the Village for 3.5 years, and still own my house there so would be glad to answer any additional questions about the Village specifically.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Also look at the school districts for these Syracuse area locations you are looking at. While marriage and kids are probably not on your radar, if you move to an area that you like, you will probably grow attached to it and want to stay. As you get older, a good school district and the stable home values that go with it, as well as low crime and high quality of life, will all be important. My understanding is that there are many good districts in the Syracuse area, so you should be able to find one.
Good advice and luckily, the school districts that overwhelmingly cover the northern suburbs(Liverpool, North Syracuse and Baldwinsville) are all solid/good school districts. Liverpool and Cicero-North Syracuse are the biggest high schools in the metro area in terms of enrollment, with C-NS being a 10-12 grade HS with more students per grade. Baldwinsville isn't too far behind in that regard.

There's also the pre K-8th grade Lyncourt Union Free SD that covers the Lyncourt hamlet/CDP in the town of Salina, just north of the Syracuse city line. Those kids for high school are them sent to Solvay High in the western suburbs, but many go the private route and attend Bishop Grimes Jr./Sr. High, primarily.

I believe that parts of the Central Square and Phoenix SD's based in nearby Oswego County and maybe parts of the Cato-Meridian SD based in Cayuga County, cross over into the previously mentioned northern suburban towns in Onondaga County. They cross into rural parts, with the exception of the portion of the Central Square SD that covers the Brewerton hamlet/CDP area in the town of Cicero.

Out of all of these mentioned, the Baldwinsville SD is the fastest growing in terms of population.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:03 AM

Thank you everybody for the input. Anyone know if I would be experiencing a culture shock?

Old 01-06-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Thank you everybody for the input. Anyone know if I would be experiencing a culture shock?
Culture shock in terms of what? Winter weather may be a bigger adjustment.

Also, what kind of neighborhood/community are you looking for?

Old 01-07-2016, 09:05 AM

201 posts, read 298,584 times
A lot more rednecks up here than in Long Island, that's for sure. Also much more conservative politically than Long Island (oh and people here love their guns, just see all of the "Repeal the Safe Act" signs in people's yards). Slower pace of life as well, though village of Liverpool is busy and vibrant. You'll manage, though. We moved from Brooklyn and have adjusted just fine (though I was from the midwest, so used to most of the differences already).

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area