U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2016, 03:54 AM
 
Location: Syracuse, NY
723 posts, read 1,094,071 times
Reputation: 508

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I posted a "First trip to Syracuse" thread on here about 5 months ago, saying that it looked grim as far as me transferring there, because they didn't have an afternoon or graveyard spot....

Well, they now have one!

I immediately applied for it, and received an offer from the manager last evening! I'm excited about this, but before I accept it, I want to be sure what some of the costs go for around there.

Here is what I'm wondering about:

-- Would need a 2 bd/2ba or even a 2bd/1.5 ba apartment or house for rent in a budget preferably under $1000/mo ( our office is in Liverpool, but as I would have a company car that I can also use for personal use, I think as long as I'm within a 10-12 mi radius from work, I'll be good. )

-- A place that accepts one small dog is vital.

-- Any safe places to live that provide snow removal?

-- What is the most and least windiest areas around there? For example, Lakeland vs Liverpool vs Fayetteville?

-- How much do utilities run approx each month during the winter, and summer?

- What about monthly bills for Internet and cable/satellite?

-- What is a monthly estimate on renters insurance?

-- I currently have Verizon for my cell carrier, is reception outside Syracuse very good with them there?

Anyway, they offered me the position first, before anyone else who may have applied for it, and this one opened up only because the guy that had it before, retired, so I may not get another offer or chance to transfer there, and it does come with a paycut ( about $5k less a year than what I'm getting here in Portland, OR ) and I just want to be sure that I should be able to make it, financially, before I call them back to accept it...

If I accept it, I'll need to be moving out there likely within 30 days...

Thanks everyone for your help, and I'll keep you posted in the meantime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2016, 04:45 AM
 
56,264 posts, read 80,446,330 times
Reputation: 12413
While it is further north, but this complex fits some of things you are looking for in terms of rent, bed/bathrooms and being per friendly: Baldwinsville Apartment | Kimbrook Manor in Baldwinsville, NY 13027

This complex in/on Onondaga Hill just SW of Syracuse may be another one to look into for similar reasons: Onondaga Hill Syracuse, NY Apartments for Rent | High Acres Apartments and Townhomes

You'll see more snow to the north, as it is closer to Lake Ontario and the lake effect snow that it could bring. With that said, the snow is usually cleared in a timely manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2016, 06:21 AM
 
Location: DeWitt, NY
1,002 posts, read 1,693,819 times
Reputation: 1424
If you want snow removal included you're probably looking at an apartment complex. They definitely exist within that radius of Liverpool, though dog friendly will quickly narrow things down. But that budget is probably doable.

Utilities will vary hugely based on how well built/insulated the place is you rent, and how warm in winter/cool in summer you like to keep it.

Verizon is good here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2016, 07:29 AM
 
173 posts, read 204,317 times
Reputation: 423
Quick and short answer - if you're comfortable on your salary in Portland, OR now, you will be MORE than comfortable living on $5k/year less in Syracuse. As an example, if you make $40,000 in Syracuse, you need to make $56,000 in Portland based on cost of living adjustment.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-25-2016 at 05:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2016, 09:15 AM
 
56,264 posts, read 80,446,330 times
Reputation: 12413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
While it is further north, but this complex fits some of things you are looking for in terms of rent, bed/bathrooms and being per friendly: Baldwinsville Apartment | Kimbrook Manor in Baldwinsville, NY 13027

This complex in/on Onondaga Hill just SW of Syracuse may be another one to look into for similar reasons: Onondaga Hill Syracuse, NY Apartments for Rent | High Acres Apartments and Townhomes

You'll see more snow to the north, as it is closer to Lake Ontario and the lake effect snow that it could bring. With that said, the snow is usually cleared in a timely manner.
Here are some more apartments that may work for you: Braeside | Dawn Homes Management

Village Green | Dawn Homes Management

http://dawnhomes.com/eagles-pointe/

Sedgwick Townhouse Apartments in Syracuse

Cedarwood Apartments

Townhouse East

D.N.Drucker Ltd. :: Real Estate and Brokerage Company (all, except for the E. Syracuse listing may work)

Grenadier Village Apartments

Wood wind Gardens Apartments

S326134

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - Syracuse & Surrounding Areas - BRIARCLIFF ESTATE

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - Syracuse & Surrounding Areas - RIDGEWOOD APARTMENTS

Pinecrest Manor | Liverpool, NY | Liverpool Housing

Camillus, NY Apartments for Rent | Steeplechase Apartments

Center Pointe Apartments at Radisson

Greenway Apartments, Baldwinsville NY | CRM Rental Management

Leasing Information | Drumlin Heights

If I come across any more that fit or may fit the criteria, I'll post them later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2016, 02:31 PM
 
56,264 posts, read 80,446,330 times
Reputation: 12413
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here are some more apartments that may work for you: Braeside | Dawn Homes Management

Village Green | Dawn Homes Management

http://dawnhomes.com/eagles-pointe/

Sedgwick Townhouse Apartments in Syracuse

Cedarwood Apartments

Townhouse East

D.N.Drucker Ltd. :: Real Estate and Brokerage Company (all, except for the E. Syracuse listing may work)

Grenadier Village Apartments

Wood wind Gardens Apartments

S326134

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - Syracuse & Surrounding Areas - BRIARCLIFF ESTATE

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - Syracuse & Surrounding Areas - RIDGEWOOD APARTMENTS

Pinecrest Manor | Liverpool, NY | Liverpool Housing

Camillus, NY Apartments for Rent | Steeplechase Apartments

Center Pointe Apartments at Radisson

Greenway Apartments, Baldwinsville NY | CRM Rental Management

Leasing Information | Drumlin Heights

If I come across any more that fit or may fit the criteria, I'll post them later.
More: https://barringtonresidential.com/ba....html#Features

https://barringtonresidential.com/ba...ownhouses.html

Winkworth Apartment Homes - DLH Properties, Inc

Lakepointe Apartment Homes - DLH Properties, Inc

mywindsorplaceapartments.com

The Landings at Meadowood - Baldwinsville, NY | Apartment Finder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2016, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Syracuse, NY
723 posts, read 1,094,071 times
Reputation: 508
Thanks everone!! I just accepted the position! :-D

I'm on break now...will check these out when I get home...thanks Ckh for some of the legwork here :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2016, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
4,444 posts, read 4,590,845 times
Reputation: 3350
Congrats on getting (and accepting!) the offer - I certainly hope it works out for you to make the big move.

Looks like you've gotten some responses already about the apartments. I can say with confidence that you should have no problem finding an apartment in your price range, and since your dog is small, you should be okay with many of these places. One thing you may want to look into is checking Craigslist for sublets - this could get you into an apartment easier and faster, and you can just apply for a new lease when it comes up.

Are you flying over to make the arrangements, or are you just driving east with the truck and finding a place when you arrive? I'd suggest selling as much furniture as you can there, and getting new (or used - this can save big $$) on the other end. Moving trucks can cost a small fortune for that kind of distance.

Good luck with everything - and while I'm no closer to moving up there than I was this past summer, it's great that you're able to pull this off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2016, 08:08 PM
 
56,264 posts, read 80,446,330 times
Reputation: 12413
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
Thanks everone!! I just accepted the position! :-D

I'm on break now...will check these out when I get home...thanks Ckh for some of the legwork here :-)
No problem.... Just wondering, but given your interest in baseball, the farmers market and being within a close proximity to work, would a place like this work, in spite of missing the bathroom criteria?: Apartments Liverpool NY | Buckley Apartments

I only ask because outside of the bathroom aspect, it fits everything else and it is a short drive to the baseball stadium, the Regional Market, DestinyUSA and it is in the Liverpool area. There are some restaurants nearby as well along 7th North Street, including this spot: https://www.tullysgoodtimes.com/orde...alse&desktop=1

Here is another place: https://pmalliance.appfolio.com/list...9-9e294fc45eef

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-16-2016 at 08:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2016, 03:51 AM
 
Location: Syracuse, NY
723 posts, read 1,094,071 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No problem.... Just wondering, but given your interest in baseball, the farmers market and being within a close proximity to work, would a place like this work, in spite of missing the bathroom criteria?: Apartments Liverpool NY | Buckley Apartments

I only ask because outside of the bathroom aspect, it fits everything else and it is a short drive to the baseball stadium, the Regional Market, DestinyUSA and it is in the Liverpool area. There are some restaurants nearby as well along 7th North Street, including this spot: https://www.tullysgoodtimes.com/orde...alse&desktop=1

Here is another place: https://pmalliance.appfolio.com/list...9-9e294fc45eef

Thanks for the info, but yeah, I'm moving with a roommate there and they're insistent on a 2nd bathroom, but because of the ballpark, and farmers market and the mall ( and my office being close by, which is hugely beneficial when its snowing like crazy ) that I am favoring Liverpool over the other areas.

I remember seeing the Tully's in Liverpool I think when I was driving around when I was there last Aug--tasty menu options!

So, I am guessing that a place like Liverpool though would get more snow than say the east side of Syracuse, or a place like Fayetteville or Manlius, no?

It sounds like the next step is getting the formal letter of offer from my employer for it, and then H.R. deciding on when I need to be there by. I get a few weeks of vacation a year, and will likely ask if the 2 weeks I had coming in April ( that would have been another trip to the east coast ) can be moved up so I can use that for the long drive. The manager in Syracuse told me her vacation calendar is full with her people there, but they would grant what I already had approved, for 2016 off, but I told her I am more than willing to move any time around there to accommodate both this location and Syracuse so I'm not putting anyone in a bind.

It looks like most apartments there don't have washer/dryer or w/d hookups; but rather a laundry facility in the complex. Hm, it makes me think, does Liverpool or the surrounding area for instance, have 24 hr laundromats ? ( just because especially in the winter time, I might not get home until 1-3am ( and have to be back to work in under 8 hrs from then. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top