Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 04:42 PM

26 posts, read 22,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmazz88 View Post
Even though I know a few people up there, they aren't really exactly close friends, so I'd prefer to be in an area with the best opportunity to meet people in the area (bars, restaurants, etc.)
I would say, as others have mentioned, Armory Square should be your target then. It's pretty stacked with bars, and places to eat, and you're right off the heart of the city. The heart of the city isn't much for living from what I recall though. You're also near Clinton Square which has some badass (nice architecture) looking buildings, and is kind of a nice place to take a walk up to with a few places to eat.

The one downside I remember about that area, and others may be more well versed, is that food shopping is kind of nonexistent. Not that it's a big deal, just thought I'd mention it and allow others to comment on that. I think you would need a car for groceries????

The foot traffic on weekends is high though because of all the restaurants/bars. Overall, if you want to be amongst people, this is a great area.

Syracuse University area is a little less traditional than most college areas/towns I have lived in. But, you were in college, you probably know what to expect immediately around a college and know whether that interests you. That Fayette Place that was linked earlier seems promising.

A lot of people LOVE Tipp Hill as an area for young professionals. I used to go out in that area a bit, and although it did seem fine for bars, or watching a game at the Blarney Stone, I hated it overall. I'm not sure if I'm missing something, or never saw some aspect of it that it made more attractive, but it seemed dreadfully dull unless you were living with your roommates that you just graduated with the year before. I never quite saw why people loved it so much. It does have an upside down stop light though!

Just a question for the locals - where is Hanover Square exactly? Is it just the area directly off of Clinton Square?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 04:55 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Hanover Square is a historical area of Downtown east of South Salina Street with restaurants, bars and nightlife. There are housing units there too. Downtown Syracuse, NY Restaurants, Bars, and Shopping

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hano...uare,_Syracuse

Yes, it is across from Clinton Square.

There's also the Cathedral Square area as well: Cathedral Square » Downtown Committee of Syracuse

Tipp Hill is essentially an ethnic enclave that has slowly become more diverse and has businesses and pubs scattered throughout the neighborhood. There are occasional events as well.

With the University area, Westcott and a portion of Nottingham Road have businesses. Westcott in particular has its own scene and is known for being a more hippy/grad student/ hipster/liberal, but diverse and pretty family friendly area east of campus. You also have some businesses at the bottom of the hill at East Genesee and Irving.

This is another building that have new housing units in the University area: UAA

https://m.facebook.com/events/1481589055501307/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-01-2016 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-02-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Hanover Square is a historical area of Downtown east of South Salina Street with restaurants, bars and nightlife. There are housing units there too. Downtown Syracuse, NY Restaurants, Bars, and Shopping

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hano...uare,_Syracuse

Yes, it is across from Clinton Square.

There's also the Cathedral Square area as well: Cathedral Square » Downtown Committee of Syracuse

Tipp Hill is essentially an ethnic enclave that has slowly become more diverse and has businesses and pubs scattered throughout the neighborhood. There are occasional events as well.

With the University area, Westcott and a portion of Nottingham Road have businesses. Westcott in particular has its own scene and is known for being a more hippy/grad student/ hipster/liberal, but diverse and pretty family friendly area east of campus. You also have some businesses at the bottom of the hill at East Genesee and Irving.

This is another building that have new housing units in the University area: UAA

https://m.facebook.com/events/1481589055501307/
For grocery shopping, if you are Downtown, there is an Aldi on West Genesee Street in Automobile Row. There is a Wegmans on Onondaga Boulevard just inside of the city line to the west/SW. A Price Chopper is across the street. There's a Tops in Westvale Plaza in Solvay, a first ring western suburb and another one on Nottingham Road east of Syracuse University's South Campus. There are some ethnic markets on the North Side as well. Nojaim's in the Near West Side, a lower income, but somewhat revitalized neighborhood across West Street/Onondaga Creek from Downtown. There may be other options I may have overlooked.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:34 PM

6 posts, read 3,775 times
You probably moved by now but figured I would respond in case anyone else is looking for the same info. I am from Queens and have lived in Long Island too , when I first moved up here I moved downtown. Best move I made , I had a loft right by the bars for 900 a month it is insane. I was making about what you make and I could not believe the quality of life difference. You will love it , just do not expect NYC nightlife. It is more like a long island bar ( not club ) in comparison , but I liked the laid back vibe more anyway. One word of advice is if you find yourself looking to stay for the long haul don't buy anything in that area unless you want to rent it out , there are no places to grocery shop there. All the surrounding areas / school districts are bad so if you see yourself settling down you will want to look outside of that area. Downtown, westcott and tipp hill would be where I would live when I was young single and looking to party. To settle down I would buy in Fayetteville / Manlius. Good luck !!!

Old 06-11-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad718 View Post
You probably moved by now but figured I would respond in case anyone else is looking for the same info. I am from Queens and have lived in Long Island too , when I first moved up here I moved downtown. Best move I made , I had a loft right by the bars for 900 a month it is insane. I was making about what you make and I could not believe the quality of life difference. You will love it , just do not expect NYC nightlife. It is more like a long island bar ( not club ) in comparison , but I liked the laid back vibe more anyway. One word of advice is if you find yourself looking to stay for the long haul don't buy anything in that area unless you want to rent it out , there are no places to grocery shop there. All the surrounding areas / school districts are bad so if you see yourself settling down you will want to look outside of that area. Downtown, westcott and tipp hill would be where I would live when I was young single and looking to party. To settle down I would buy in Fayetteville / Manlius. Good luck !!!
F-M is very good, but there are other very good suburban school options like Jamesville-DeWitt, Westhill, Marcellus, West Genesee, Baldwinsville, Skaneateles and even the other suburban options are pretty much solid. If you don't mind being further out Cazenovia, Tully, Fabius-Pompey, Chittenango and Weedsport are good options as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-11-2016 at 09:14 PM..

Old 06-13-2016, 08:12 PM

6 posts, read 3,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
F-M is very good, but there are other very good suburban school options like Jamesville-DeWitt, Westhill, Marcellus, West Genesee, Baldwinsville, Skaneateles and even the other suburban options are pretty much solid. If you don't mind being further out Cazenovia, Tully, Fabius-Pompey, Chittenango and Weedsport are good options as well.
This is true. I am not too familiar with all of the suburban areas which is why I said F-M but there are a lot of options. I am looking into them myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area