Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:38 PM

5 posts, read 6,167 times

Advertisements

Okay so I'm 26, and the company I work for has an opening in Syracuse that I'm seriously considering. I went to college in Albany, then moved back to Long Island after school ended. I will be making the same salary ($82k) in Syracuse as I do on Long Island if I make the move. I'm a single guy and the idea of much cheaper living is really attractive. I was looking at apartments in Syracuse and it's crazy how much cheaper it is. I refuse to live in a small basement apartment for $1200 a month in a bad area on LI. The laid back living and lack of traffic certainly is really appealing. Further, actually being able to own a nice home down the line would be a plus. I would be working in East Syracuse, but would probably want to be in a more bustling area (downtown Syracuse?), in order to meet people. I have some friends I went to college with that live there but that's about it. Does anyone have any suggestions in making this a seamless transition? Or should I just stay put on LI? I've dealt with the upstate cold weather in Albany, so I think just the snow would be the biggest change for me. Any opinions would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 07:46 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
This is a no brainer. 82k is good for a family, let alone a young single person in this area. Downtown Syracuse(including Franklin Square) shouldn't be a problem in terms of price, but availability may be an issue. However, you still may be able to find something. Westcott, just east of Syracuse University may have some flats for rent. Tipperary Hill, an outer West Side neighborhood, may be another area of the city to look into. Perhaps Eastwood as well.

If you don't mind villages, Liverpool, Manlius, Fayetteville, Baldwinsville and North Syracuse may be worth a look. I dare say that even Skaneateles and Cazenovia may be worth a look, due to their upscale look, but both are a little bit further out and are in more rural settings.

What else would you be looking for in a neighborhood/community? What are some things that you like to do?

Old 03-31-2016, 08:32 PM

26 posts, read 22,651 times
I've lived in NYC (including Bayside) which might as well be Long Island, and also up here so perhaps this would be helpful, but maybe not since I'm originally from neither area.

If you have lived in Albany I think you know more or less what to expect, however, living upstate is a tad different than going to school in one of these cities. The fact that you have friends up here should make the transition pretty seamless, that's one of the best ways to acclimate into any area. If you have a large employer that should also help, as people are generally pretty friendly, and it's easy to get into a group if you have the intro. Obviously, in smaller cities you may have more pre-formed groups that aren't quite as fluid, and locals tend to congregate together, so you have to put a little effort into it. Regardless, it sounds like you are okay in that regard.

At 82K you will love life up here. You can take vacations! Go to Europe, buy a nicer car, use that money!

Personally, I loathed Long Island, I worked in Melville for awhile, and hated everything about it. The traffic, how expensive it was for pretty much living NEAR NYC without any of the benefits of being in NYC, etc...I just never saw a lot of upside.....

Old 04-01-2016, 05:05 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
SyntaxErr pretty much sums it up. LI money and upstate COL is a no brainer. Accept the job and come north!

For winter, if you have a FWD car, be sure your all season radials have good tread or get snow tires by about mid November. Syracuse gets significantly more snow than Albany, but the locals aren't wimpy about it like those in Albany (I lived in Albany for 10+ years), so the area doesn't shut down for a few inches of snow overnight. If you can find a rental with a garage, seriously consider it.

For a seamless transition, I think the best thing you can do is embrace your new home. That's true anywhere you move ever.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:33 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Don't even waste your time looking at the Villages or places further out. $82K will get you pretty much anywhere in Syracuse. Go with downtown Syracuse, that's where you'll find the most bustling activity and it's an easy commute to East Syracuse.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:50 AM

5 posts, read 6,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is a no brainer. 82k is good for a family, let alone a young single person in this area. Downtown Syracuse(including Franklin Square) shouldn't be a problem in terms of price, but availability may be an issue. However, you still may be able to find something. Westcott, just east of Syracuse University may have some flats for rent. Tipperary Hill, an outer West Side neighborhood, may be another area of the city to look into. Perhaps Eastwood as well.

If you don't mind villages, Liverpool, Manlius, Fayetteville, Baldwinsville and North Syracuse may be worth a look. I dare say that even Skaneateles and Cazenovia may be worth a look, due to their upscale look, but both are a little bit further out and are in more rural settings.

What else would you be looking for in a neighborhood/community? What are some things that you like to do?
Even though I know a few people up there, they aren't really exactly close friends, so I'd prefer to be in an area with the best opportunity to meet people in the area (bars, restaurants, etc.)

Old 04-01-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmazz88 View Post
Even though I know a few people up there, they aren't really exactly close friends, so I'd prefer to be in an area with the best opportunity to meet people in the area (bars, restaurants, etc.)
What Becca just said. Demand for Downtown housing is high and fills up pretty quickly, but new units pop up and just do your research.

If you can't find something in Downtown, there are also units in/near the University(Hill) area that could work and are even geared partially to professionals. This is one example that puts you in between both of those areas in the middle of the city: Home

Fayette Place is another such building that comes to mind and some info is mentioned at the bottom of this article: Luxury off-campus apartments to open next fall | The Daily Orange – The Independent Student Newspaper of Syracuse, New York

Fayette Place – Downtown Syracuse Apartments

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-01-2016 at 07:34 AM..

Old 04-01-2016, 09:17 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,014 times
Dude, you'd be crazy to turn down a lateral move in salary from Long Island to Syracuse. Aside from a better quality of life, you'd be living like a king on $82k. To give you perspective, I'd consider a $30k pay reduction to live there as apples to apples.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What Becca just said. Demand for Downtown housing is high and fills up pretty quickly, but new units pop up and just do your research.

If you can't find something in Downtown, there are also units in/near the University(Hill) area that could work and are even geared partially to professionals. This is one example that puts you in between both of those areas in the middle of the city: Home

Fayette Place is another such building that comes to mind and some info is mentioned at the bottom of this article: Luxury off-campus apartments to open next fall | The Daily Orange – The Independent Student Newspaper of Syracuse, New York

Fayette Place – Downtown Syracuse Apartments
More Downtown living options: Living » Downtown Committee of Syracuse

2016 Downtown Living Tour Stops » Downtown Committee of Syracuse

You can view more information about Downtown on the site above or here: City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY

http://www.syracuse.ny.us/Parks/hanoverSquare.html

http://www.syracuse.ny.us/Parks/franklinSquarePark.html

Here is some information about the University Hill/University area: https://www.planning.org/greatplaces...ersityhill.htm

Welcome to University Hill!

Home » Crouse-Marshall

Westcott Neighborhood Association - Westcott Community

UNPA | University Neighborhood Preservation Association

City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

seuna - Home

http://www.syracuse.ny.us/Parks/thorndenPark.html

Barry Park | Syracuse Parks

A couple of other city neighborhoods that were previously mentioned: Explore Tipperary Hill | The NewsHouse | Syracuse University and Community News - S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications

tipp hill | The NewsHouse | Syracuse University and Community News - S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications

2016 Tipperary Hill Shamrock Run

http://www.syracuse.ny.us/parks/burnetpark.html

Rosamond Gifford Zoo

Eastwood Neighborhood Association

http://www.syracuse.ny.us/parks/sunnycrestPark.html

For more apartment options: Apartment Rental Communities | Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC

Syracuse, NY Apartments for Rent | Apartment Finder

https://www.orangehousing.com/syracu...nonstudent.php
https://www.orangehousing.com/orange/apt.htm

Also, if my guess is right, you may like to check out some of the restaurants in on North Salina Street(aka Little Italy): City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

Restaurants in Syracuse | Italian Restaurants Syracuse | Francesca's Cucina

Asti - Great Italian Food

Fine Italian Restaurant & Catering Culver City CA | Polentoni

Attiliosyracuse.com

http://www.biscotticafe.com/

The legendary bakery on Syracuse's Northside | The NewsHouse | Syracuse University and Community News - S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications

Some others: Syracuse's Best Italian Restaurants: Where to go in CNY for pasta and more | syracuse.com

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-01-2016 at 09:40 AM..

Old 04-01-2016, 12:24 PM

201 posts, read 298,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmazz88 View Post
I agree with Becca. Go downtown... as close to armory square as possible. Coming from me and Becca, this means a lot because Becca is always touting the village of Liverpool, and I am always touting the village of Baldwinsville on here, but for your age, and wanting to meet people, downtown Syracuse is the way to go. The villages are for when you already know people or are in a relationship not looking to mingle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area