Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 08:10 PM

83 posts, read 247,708 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving back to Syracuse after spending 1 year in Atlanta. We recently just bought a car here in Georgia, and wondering whether do we need to pay additional NYS sales tax (in addition to the GA sales tax we already paid) when we move back and register the car in NY?

Not sure whether this will matter, but we own a house in Syracuse which we have been renting out this 1 year when we are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 08:16 PM

92,165 posts, read 122,387,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crease123 View Post
My wife and I will be moving back to Syracuse after spending 1 year in Atlanta. We recently just bought a car here in Georgia, and wondering whether do we need to pay additional NYS sales tax (in addition to the GA sales tax we already paid) when we move back and register the car in NY?

Not sure whether this will matter, but we own a house in Syracuse which we have been renting out this 1 year when we are gone.
It is just the registration and an inspection, as far as I know. Just do it within 30 days when you come back.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:09 AM

94 posts, read 156,809 times
When I registered an out-of-state vehicle in NY State last Fall, I had to pay additional sales tax. I had already paid the out-of-state tax, but since the NYS taxes were higher, I had to pay those as well.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:17 PM

24 posts, read 26,874 times
I'm pretty sure you get a credit for taxes paid to the state you bought it in. If you paid 7% in GA, and the NY tax is 8%, you'd have to pay 1%. I believe this only applies to fairly recent purchases - though I'm not sure what the threshold is.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:54 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,851,569 times
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/regi...-state-vehicle

I think this will answer all your questions...

Old 05-09-2016, 11:54 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,067,098 times
To be more specific:

If you paid out-of-state sales tax, show the out-of-state dealer bill of sale. The bill of sale must show the purchase price and the amount of out-of-state sales tax paid to the dealer. Use Sales Tax Paid in Another State (DTF-804) form to claim credit for the state and local sales taxes you paid in the other state. This process can reduce the amount of your NYS sales tax if NYS and the other state have an agreement about sales tax. Not all states have an agreement with New York. See DTF-804 page 2.

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/sales-tax-information

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area