U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 06:06 AM

56,273 posts, read 80,446,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd actually say that Onondaga Central has a pretty wide range, as parts are very rural(South Onondaga/Navarino, etc.), working to straight middle class(Nedrow) and solidly middle class to upper middle class(the portion in Onondaga Hill). So, you will get a wide setting and economic range within the district. that is along with some ethnic/racial diversity in comparison to other suburban/small town/rural school districts in Onondaga County. I was told that it has a good special education program and it has a preschool program at Rockwell Elementary in Nedrow.

What also makes the district different from most non urban school districts in the county is that due to Nedrow being a pretty diverse(and small) suburb, you have 2 or 3 churches that worship out of the African American tradition and it is close to the Onondaga Nation Arena, which is right on Route 11. In the rural areas, you can find horse farms off of Route 80 and Apple Orchards on Routes 20 and 80. Then, the Onondaga Hill portion can look like what you may have thought the whole district was in terms of not being as culturally diverse and more upscale.

I'd say that the school district's most famous alumni are David Muir of ABC World News Tonight, recent Pro Bowl running back for the Oakland Raiders Latavius Murray and former Indianapolis Colt running back and current Syracuse University assistant football coach Mike Hart. Muir is from the Onondaga Hill part of the district, while Murray and Hart are from Nedrow.

I'd say the thing that may make it a con for you is that the school district has only about 950 students. So, that may be something to consider.

I'm sure you can find more here: Onondaga Central School District
Here are some examples of neighborhoods/areas within the OCS district: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ne...2f6332!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9106...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9743...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9648...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9986...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9850...7i13312!8i6656

Jr/Sr High: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9307...!7i3328!8i1664

Wheeler Elementary: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9320...!7i3328!8i1664

Rockwell Elementary: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9767...7i13312!8i6656

Apple Orchards on Route 20: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9096...7i13312!8i6656

and on Route 80: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9092...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 08:03 AM

Another thing I thought about was that if you still want or are considering ES-M, you may want to look into homes that are zoned for Woodland Elementary, which is the most diverse of the elementary schools in the district in terms of ethnic/racial background and the neighborhoods the students come from, while still having a solid academic performance. If you look at the first map on the list of maps on this page, it will give you the zones for each of the elementary schools in the district: Elementary Attendance Zones & District Boundaries Kids in that school could come from neighborhoods just outside of the Syracuse city line to just inside of the Madison County line.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:27 PM

Also, for the Jamesville-DeWitt SD, Moses DeWitt Elementary is probably the most diverse out of the elementary schools, eventhough the other 2 aren't far behind and/or manifests itself a little bit differently. Moses Dewitt Elementary School - Public School

Jamesville Elementary School - Public School

Tecumseh Elementary School - Public School

Old 06-30-2016, 03:27 AM

2 posts, read 793 times
I am so happy to of found this forum, I am sitting here in Jerusalem, Israel 6 1/2 months pregnant with our third child preparing to move back across the ocean, presumably before he/she is born, and slightly freaking out about finding the perfect area for us to live as my husband has just accepted a position at SU.

I have been reading SO much as far as the best school districts in the area but the situation with my older son is slightly more specific. He is a very normal child but he has educational struggles and requires an IEP. We have been extremely spoiled at the private school we attend here in Jerusalem as they have offered him extra services in addition to those requested in his IEP, i.e.. occupational therapy. He also sees a speech therapist and gets pullouts for reading and math support. He has made many gains this past year as he was very pampered but I'm afraid he could easily fall behind again if he does not continue receiving these services. He does much better in smaller classroom settings and I already read in this thread that the Jamesville-Dewitt district is one of the smaller in the region. Im wanting to see if anyone here has had experience in dealing with a similar situation in working with the special needs programs in the districts and if there is a district that has better support for a student like him.

Schooling is by far the most important criteria for us in deciding where to live but we are also hoping that it won't take us far from the excitement of the city. We have spent the last several years in big cities (LA, DC, Jerusalem) and enjoy the amenities the bigger cities have to offer.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelgar View Post
I am so happy to of found this forum, I am sitting here in Jerusalem, Israel 6 1/2 months pregnant with our third child preparing to move back across the ocean, presumably before he/she is born, and slightly freaking out about finding the perfect area for us to live as my husband has just accepted a position at SU.

I have been reading SO much as far as the best school districts in the area but the situation with my older son is slightly more specific. He is a very normal child but he has educational struggles and requires an IEP. We have been extremely spoiled at the private school we attend here in Jerusalem as they have offered him extra services in addition to those requested in his IEP, i.e.. occupational therapy. He also sees a speech therapist and gets pullouts for reading and math support. He has made many gains this past year as he was very pampered but I'm afraid he could easily fall behind again if he does not continue receiving these services. He does much better in smaller classroom settings and I already read in this thread that the Jamesville-Dewitt district is one of the smaller in the region. Im wanting to see if anyone here has had experience in dealing with a similar situation in working with the special needs programs in the districts and if there is a district that has better support for a student like him.

Schooling is by far the most important criteria for us in deciding where to live but we are also hoping that it won't take us far from the excitement of the city. We have spent the last several years in big cities (LA, DC, Jerusalem) and enjoy the amenities the bigger cities have to offer.
Some things to consider.........

Jamesville-DeWitt and Fayetteville-Manlius in the Eastern suburbs is where the bulk of the Jewish(just a guess in terms of background) population in the area lives, with some still living in the outer neighborhoods of East Side of Syracuse.

There is a Hebrew Day School in DeWitt that goes up to 6th grade that you could look into. Syracuse Hebrew Day School | Educating the whole child - mind, heart & soul

I've also heard good things about services(Special Ed, etc) in the East Syracuse-Minoa SD, which is also an Eastern suburban district just north of the previously mention SD's.

I would look into Jamesville-DeWitt first, as it is the smallest out of these districts, it is a high quality SD, it is a relatively diverse suburban SD with a notable Jewish population and it is within very close proximity to SU.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 793 times
Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly. I love that you picked up on the Jerusalem/Jewish connection but we are actually not Jewish, this was just an assignment for my husbands current job. I do think I will focus my search in the Jamesville Dewitt area though, small class sizes are important for my sons learning and that is where I had been reading some of the better schools were located, i was just getting frustrated by the property taxes so wanted to see if there were other options. I hadn't really looked into the East Syracuse-Minoa SD area yet so thanks for the tip on that.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly. I love that you picked up on the Jerusalem/Jewish connection but we are actually not Jewish, this was just an assignment for my husbands current job. I do think I will focus my search in the Jamesville Dewitt area though, small class sizes are important for my sons learning and that is where I had been reading some of the better schools were located, i was just getting frustrated by the property taxes so wanted to see if there were other options. I hadn't really looked into the East Syracuse-Minoa SD area yet so thanks for the tip on that.
You may have other options like this small SD that is South/SW of Syracuse: Main

Old 07-01-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Also with ES-M, it is more affordable out of the 3 Eastern suburban SD's. I'd say that depending on your budget, Fremont Hills/Clark Hill(the area in between Manlius Center Road and the Erie Canal(trail)), newer developments in Collamer and Minoa Farms(watch out for property taxes though) are some potential neighborhoods in the district to look into. There is a newer development that is on/just over the Onondaga/Madison County line that is still in the district as well. Franklin Park is an older suburban development that has some newish(within last 30 years or so) homes as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-01-2016 at 01:32 PM..

Old 07-02-2016, 06:38 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,962,953 times
Taxes are on a case-by-case basis...

FM and JD *often* have very high taxes BUT it's mainly because of newer construction and people not contesting their tax assessment increases often enough. You can absolutely find homes with reasonable or even low taxes if you look through the listings and avoid newer construction... those are taxed close to 100% of their actual value. The older the home, the more likely it is to find assessments closer to 50-60% of actual value.

And keep in mind that JD and FM are right on top of each other. It's the same, southeastern-suburbs area... all towns running into each other. You'll have Fayetteville (the F part of FM) zip codes in the JD district and the area people would call Dewitt (and is actually Dewitt) will have listings for F'ville. Many real estate people will confidently tell you that you're in a certain district when the border ends just next door or across the street.

Regardless, both districts are fantastic. *I* am personally biased for FM though, as that's where our children have gone. :P They're very, very attentive to the needs of their students and volunteer extra services readily... there's no struggling to get it whatsoever. They bring it to the parents' attention, not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or