Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,307 times

Advertisements

I've seen quite a few threads from new grad students asking about apartment suggestions, but most are a few years old, so I'm wondering if there are any more recent suggestions out there. I've also been reading through some of the recent general apartment suggestion threads, but I don't know if those would be the best recommendations for grad students.

My problem is I need to move for 6/1. I see some availability at some apartment complexes in the area: Greenwich Manor, Clarendon Heights, Remington Gardens, and Newbury Apartments. I saw that those had been recommended in the past -- are all of those still OK?

I'm also trying to check out places run by the Sutton Co (lofts I guess) and Syracuse Premier Apartments (Flats at North State).

I wish I could live closer to campus, but what I'm getting (size) for the cost doesn't compare to some of those others. I've been looking at Orange Housing, but most of the listings are either for single rooms, furnished, too expensive, or I don't trust them (any thoughts on AZS Properties?).

I'm looking for 1 bedroom, max $850 if heat/hw are included, unfurnished. I will be 30 come the fall and likely working on campus. Am I on the right track with the above examples? I'm terrified of ending up in a horribly managed complex. I just need any sort of confidence booster at this point, as I just spent a very miserable few days looking at places and the clock is ticking.

Thanks! And sorry if this leads to repeat recommendations. If other recent posts would also apply to me, I'll just trust in them.
aw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 08:45 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Orange Housing also lists apartment complexes.

Greenwich Manor and Newbury Apartments are worth a look. Perhaps Nob Hill Apartments as well.

While it isn't near campus, it isn't too far away by going across the Valley neighborhood to campus: Onondaga Hill Syracuse, NY Apartments for Rent | The Meadows Apartments

Old 05-04-2016, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,307 times
Thanks, ckh. I've managed to extend my time frame so that I don't need to move by 6/1. I checked out the Meadows apartments; the general look of grounds and its distance just wasn't for me.

I think with this extra time I'm going to try to lock up something in the SU area early. I want to be close to campus and involved in the community.

Nob Hill is still an option since it is a little closer and seems to cater specifically more toward SU students. Better amenities, at least on paper. It feels like a fall-back option at least.

I see a lot of listings on Orange Housing for Syracuse Quality Living -- is this a good group? The prices and properties seem reasonable, but I'm always leery of the ALL CAPS LISTINGS and so many things thrown in.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:34 PM

I'm not sure about that group. Perhaps you could look around Westcott, which has its own vibe and is close to campus. You may find rental homes, flats or rooms in that area. Westcott Neighborhood Association - Westcott Community

City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

This may give you an idea of where to look as well: City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

This may also help: DNDrucker Ltd - Syracuse Apartment and Housing Rentals

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-04-2016 at 02:31 PM..

Old 05-04-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm not sure about that group. Perhaps you could look around Westcott, which has its own vibe and is close to campus. You may find rental homes, flats or rooms in that area. Westcott Neighborhood Association - Westcott Community

City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

This may give you an idea of where to look as well: City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

This may also help: DNDrucker Ltd - Syracuse Apartment and Housing Rentals
Just to let you know, the listings available for the last site on Meadowbrook aren't too far from campus. Click on Residential and then Available Listings. Even the one on Leavenworth isn't too far from Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
View detailed profiles of: