U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 01:28 PM

20 posts, read 21,763 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We have a potential relocation from Madison, WI to the Syracuse area. Wondering what suburbs are family friendly, have good schools, and lots of amenities (costco, target, etc)?

Looking for a house with around 0.5-1 acre. $400,000-$525,000, 4-5bdrm, 3000+ sqft, etc.

What is the demeanor in Syracuse? Is everyone fairly friendly? Do most people like interacting with their neighbors? Is there really THAT much snow? (We're from Canada originally so it would be a big PLUS for us).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 01:41 PM

56,248 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashca View Post
Hi there,

We have a potential relocation from Madison, WI to the Syracuse area. Wondering what suburbs are family friendly, have good schools, and lots of amenities (costco, target, etc)?

Looking for a house with around 0.5-1 acre. $400,000-$525,000, 4-5bdrm, 3000+ sqft, etc.

What is the demeanor in Syracuse? Is everyone fairly friendly? Do most people like interacting with their neighbors? Is there really THAT much snow? (We're from Canada originally so it would be a big PLUS for us).

Thanks!
This will depend on where you are going to be working, but traffic isn't that bad in the area. With that said, Camillus is the only suburban town where there is a Target and a Costco and would be a good choice. You wouldn't have to pay that much for the kind of property you are looking for either. Onondaga Hill, which is another western suburb will the kind of properties you are looking for. West Genesee(Camillus) and Westhill(most of Onondaga Hill) are good school districts. West Genesee is a bigger district. Skaneateles and Marcellus are a couple of other communities in the western part of the county that are worth a look. Is there anything else you are looking for in a neighborhood/community? Where in Canada are you from originally?

Demeanors can vary. In general, people can be/are pretty friendly. Depends on the neighborhood. Yes, but the further north in the metro, generally the more snow.

Some homes that may fit: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-26-2016 at 02:32 PM..

Old 05-27-2016, 05:37 PM

11,758 posts, read 5,523,056 times
Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks!
Be sure to checkout the towns of Fayetteville and Manlius (and DeWitt). Great schools, nice educated people, beautiful areas . . . also, 10-20 minutes to downtown, door to door, depending on where you live and work. You pay more, but it's worth it in my opinion.

There are plenty of big box stores within 5-10 minutes.

On average, Syracuse gets 10 feet of snow per season. So, yes. People are generally nice, friendly, diverse and open minded. A nice area overall.

Mick

Old 05-28-2016, 12:10 PM

Is there anything else OP or is this it?

Old 05-29-2016, 08:12 AM

Thanks so much for the info! One other thing- are there many thunderstorms? Great info on neighborhoods and I'm looking into all of them!

Old 05-29-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info! One other thing- are there many thunderstorms? Great info on neighborhoods and I'm looking into all of them!
Many thunderstorms? The area gets them, but I'm not sure what "many" means in this context.

Where would you be working in terms of the location in the area? That could help make things easier for you.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:48 PM

My husband just found out his office is moving to Syracuse and we'll get more info in the coming weeks. I wish I had more information, but unfortunately, right now this is all we know.

To be more specific- are the thunderstorms significant? Pretty much everything else I've been able to google but the weather statistics are so all over the place.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
My husband just found out his office is moving to Syracuse and we'll get more info in the coming weeks. I wish I had more information, but unfortunately, right now this is all we know.

To be more specific- are the thunderstorms significant? Pretty much everything else I've been able to google but the weather statistics are so all over the place.
Thunderstorms can be "significant", but most cause minimal to no damage.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:49 PM

1,534 posts, read 393,132 times
I would bet that Madison and Syracuse are very comparable as far as Thunderstorms go. As a matter of fact, if you like Madison, you will be very comfortable in Syracuse. Pretty much same geography (kettle-moraine) and weather with perhaps a bit more snow in Syracuse. Good luck with your transfer.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
I would bet that Madison and Syracuse are very comparable as far as Thunderstorms go. As a matter of fact, if you like Madison, you will be very comfortable in Syracuse. Pretty much same geography (kettle-moraine) and weather with perhaps a bit more snow in Syracuse. Good luck with your transfer.
Just curious, but what would be viewed as the nicest suburbs of Madison? I'm only asking in terms of possibly pointing out similar areas in the Syracuse area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or