Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 08:25 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I currently live in Rochester with my family of 5. I currently have two semesters left at RIT and will graduate next May. Our apartment lease runs out next June and we plan on leaving the Rochester area. It's not that we don't like it here but we want to be closer to family up near Watertown, Adams/Henderson area to be exact. We are already planning to move into my in-laws basement for a few months, mainly so we can save a little more money and don't have to worry about renting or signing a lease while we secure jobs and settle in. Therein lies the problem. The Watertown job market isn't the greatest, so we are considering moving to a small town between Syracuse and Adams. This will give us a reasonable commute to Syracuse for work and also be close enough to family for Sunday dinners, family gatherings, we could drop the kids off and pick them up the next day if need be, in-laws could drive down/meet us if there are snow days, etc, etc, stuff like that.

So my question is, what are some good town between the two? So far I've looked into Parish, Mexico, and Central Square. Thought about Pulaski but I think that may be to far a commute to Syracuse, especially in the winter. We thought about Oswego as well but it'd be closer to an hour to both Syracuse and family. I prefer to look somewhere between Central Square and Pulaski. The closer to I-81/Route 11 the better. This way we would be no more than 45 minutes from both Syracuse and family, weather permitting of course. Can anyone tell me about how the school districts are, which are better then the others? How about grocery stores and other basic shopping, I know there's a Walmart in Central Square but that's about it. I also know we'll have to go to Syracuse for shopping malls and entertainment so that's not an issue.

Any other info would be great. Obviously if both my wife and I can find decent jobs in Watertown we'll just stay up there. I'm just trying to figure out a solid plan B if things don't work out. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 09:00 AM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Another area that may work is Brewerton, which straddles the Onondaga/Oswego county line and the Oneida River. It is also on/near Oneida Lake. It is in the Central Square SD, which is solid. It is also in one of the fastest growing zip codes in the metro area. There is some shopping there, with more big box shopping in Cicero along Route 11. There are some apartments there as well. Central Square is similar to Churchville-Chili in terms of district size.

There are some people that may commute from Pulaski to Syracuse for work. So, it may still be in play. Same with Oswego.

Mexico is similar to Adams, but with a little bit bigger school district. Parish is a smaller village/town.

A lot of this will depend on where you are working in the Syracuse area too.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Another area that may work is Brewerton, which straddles the Onondaga/Oswego county line and the Oneida River. It is also on/near Oneida Lake. It is in the Central Square SD, which is solid. It is also in one of the fastest growing zip codes in the metro area. There is some shopping there, with more big box shopping in Cicero along Route 11. There are some apartments there as well. Central Square is similar to Churchville-Chili in terms of district size.

There are some people that may commute from Pulaski to Syracuse for work. So, it may still be in play. Same with Oswego.

Mexico is similar to Adams, but with a little bit bigger school district. Parish is a smaller village/town.

A lot of this will depend on where you are working in the Syracuse area too.
Yes we did consider Brewerton as well, forgot about that one. But that is absolutely as far south as we'd go.

Oswego we have pretty much ruled out. Would like to stick to the ones close to I-81.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Yes we did consider Brewerton as well, forgot about that one. But that is absolutely as far south as we'd go.

Oswego we have pretty much ruled out. Would like to stick to the ones close to I-81.
I understand, as Brewerton is essentially an exurb of Syracuse. I'd say that you could get to Adams/Henderson Harbor in about 35-50 minutes from there.

Here is one of the apartment complexes in that area: Lakepointe Apartment Homes - DLH Properties, Inc

Old 08-06-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I understand, as Brewerton is essentially an exurb of Syracuse. I'd say that you could get to Adams/Henderson Harbor in about 35-50 minutes from there.

Here is one of the apartment complexes in that area: Lakepointe Apartment Homes - DLH Properties, Inc
Thanks for the apartment recommendation but we are trying to avoid renting, which is the reason we are (reluctantly lol) moving in with my in-laws first. We'd like to go straight from living with them to buying a house in one of the areas I've mentioned once we secure jobs.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the apartment recommendation but we are trying to avoid renting, which is the reason we are (reluctantly lol) moving in with my in-laws first. We'd like to go straight from living with them to buying a house in one of the areas I've mentioned once we secure jobs.
Got it and this may help in terms of a home search: http://www.realtyusa.com/property/de...egion=syracuse

In terms of an employment search, what would be your radius/search area?

Old 08-06-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Got it and this may help in terms of a home search: Property Search - Syracuse / Central / Auburn

In terms of an employment search, what would be your radius/search area?
As for jobs, obliviously the closer to I-81 and the further north the better. But anywhere within the city/downtown would work. Just nothing to far west, east, or south of the city. My wife would be looking for Mid-level human resource work, as she has a Bachelors in HR management with almost 2 years experience by the time we move next summer. I'd be looking for entry level sales/marketing jobs as I will have a bachelors in Marketing from RIT. However, if it was a great job opportunity we'd be willing to drive a bit further if need be, but I'm assuming most employment opportunities would be close to the city.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
As for jobs, obliviously the closer to I-81 and the further north the better. But anywhere within the city/downtown would work. Just nothing to far west, east, or south of the city. My wife would be looking for Mid-level human resource work, as she has a Bachelors in HR management with almost 2 years experience by the time we move next summer. I'd be looking for entry level sales/marketing jobs as I will have a bachelors in Marketing from RIT. However, if it was a great job opportunity we'd be willing to drive a bit further if need be, but I'm assuming most employment opportunities would be close to the city.
Perhaps both of you could look into these companies: Sites | Felix Schoeller Group

https://www.fulton.com/fulton-employ...ortunities.php

Home - Schneider Packaging Equipment

HealthWay

Aluminum Rolling, Automotive and Beverage Can Sheet | Novelis

LITTLE TREES automotive air fresheners | CAR-FRESHNER Corporation

New York Air Brake - Innovation that works

FiberMark

Old 08-06-2016, 09:25 PM

Thanks ck I will.

Does anyone know anything about the school districts in the towns I mentioned? Like size, personal experiences, good/bad, anything at all would be great. My kids will be in elementary but we plan to stay long term so info on middle and high schools would be great to.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks ck I will.

Does anyone know anything about the school districts in the towns I mentioned? Like size, personal experiences, good/bad, anything at all would be great. My kids will be in elementary but we plan to stay long term so info on middle and high schools would be great to.
Hopefully others will offer more personal experiences, but Central Square is the biggest school district and probably by far. Mexico would be next in terms of size. Next is either Altmar-Parish-Williamstown(aka A-P-W) or Pulaski, with Sandy Creek a little behind them in terms of school enrollment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area