U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 08:53 PM

723 posts, read 1,093,836 times

Advertisements

So, when I first visited the Syracuse area last Aug to check it out, I would see mosquitoes ( especially near the Red Mill Inn in Baldwinsville where I was staying at ) and a few around town, but even in the evening, was never was bit by them.

This year, is a totally different story. It makes it worse as I work nights, but from dusk to sunrise, I have to minimize as much as possible, being outside, just because even wearing a hoodie, with temps last week at midnight around 80F with 80% humidity, I was still getting bit by them when I take my dog outside for 3-4 min at a time and then run him back into the apt because of the swarm of them near me. Being outside for just 3-4 min and I'll have at least a couple of mosquito bites, and I'll get them even through clothing.

I have spoke to my apt complex management and they said the Cicero Swamp is where most of them come from ( I'm in Liverpool very close to John Glenn Blvd / Buckley Rd ) and they said the city never sprays them, only the swamp area in the summer time and that's it, but the apt complex does nothing to minimize them either.

I would like to take advantage of some summer or warm weather to go hiking or swimming ( my 2 favorite hobbies ) but I can't just because it feels like it draws them if I do, so my question is, are there any areas to visit, where mosquitoes aren't a concern? I have tried several things including taking 4x the daily dose for garlic--as I read that works if DEET doesn't, but that hasn't kept them at bay, and I feel at a loss here going anywhere outside when its dark or close to being dark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 09:13 PM

56,248 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
So, when I first visited the Syracuse area last Aug to check it out, I would see mosquitoes ( especially near the Red Mill Inn in Baldwinsville where I was staying at ) and a few around town, but even in the evening, was never was bit by them.

This year, is a totally different story. It makes it worse as I work nights, but from dusk to sunrise, I have to minimize as much as possible, being outside, just because even wearing a hoodie, with temps last week at midnight around 80F with 80% humidity, I was still getting bit by them when I take my dog outside for 3-4 min at a time and then run him back into the apt because of the swarm of them near me. Being outside for just 3-4 min and I'll have at least a couple of mosquito bites, and I'll get them even through clothing.

I have spoke to my apt complex management and they said the Cicero Swamp is where most of them come from ( I'm in Liverpool very close to John Glenn Blvd / Buckley Rd ) and they said the city never sprays them, only the swamp area in the summer time and that's it, but the apt complex does nothing to minimize them either.

I would like to take advantage of some summer or warm weather to go hiking or swimming ( my 2 favorite hobbies ) but I can't just because it feels like it draws them if I do, so my question is, are there any areas to visit, where mosquitoes aren't a concern? I have tried several things including taking 4x the daily dose for garlic--as I read that works if DEET doesn't, but that hasn't kept them at bay, and I feel at a loss here going anywhere outside when its dark or close to being dark
I think that the lack of rain hasn't helped either, as it has been hotter and less rainy than usual this summer.

I don't know if Cicero Swamp is effecting where you are, but I think the further south or north, the better.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think that the lack of rain hasn't helped either, as it has been hotter and less rainy than usual this summer.

I don't know if Cicero Swamp is effecting where you are, but I think the further south or north, the better.
Good point!

Yeah, I heard on the news the other day where they're going to start restricting water usage ( right now not mandatory, but asking if people can be careful not to have water running when not using it, etc ) and there have been a few fires not far from the Syracuse area, due to dry brush, etc and I thought to myself "WTH, did I just bring the Portland fire season with me, here?!?" LOL

Funny, I didn't know about the swamp over in Cicero, and I'm over there, for work, almost daily off Circle Dr, until my apt manager brought it up.

My job used to take me to Scranton each evening, before it recently changed to Utica, from Syracuse, and I remember being in Scranton on some very warm and muggy nights down there, and not seeing a lot of mosquitoes there either.

One area I would like to go hiking is near Ithaca, but I wonder if the mosquitoes are a problem, this year down there. I thought about a day hike near there ( already have the area mapped out and everything where I want to go ) and then perhaps have dinner at the end of the day, in Ithaca itself, before heading home, but the issue with the mosquitoes here, really has me down and trying to find some relief for it even if it means getting away from them even for just 1 day a month...

Old 07-17-2016, 09:01 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,961,934 times
DEET works great but you pretty much need DEET, not spray "with DEET" in it. You want 99% DEET... it's slick like oil and you'll want to wash your hands after rubbing into on every exposed surface. But, it does work.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
DEET works great but you pretty much need DEET, not spray "with DEET" in it. You want 99% DEET... it's slick like oil and you'll want to wash your hands after rubbing into on every exposed surface. But, it does work.
Thanks--I'll have to see where I can locate 99% DEET. I think most of what the stores carry is something like 50-60% ( or so I thought? ) but I'll see if I can find something that potent.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:03 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,961,934 times
Christmas Tree Shop is where we bought ours this year... we happened to be there and it was cheap at $6.99. Usually, we buy it at True Value. Look for 4oz bottles that say things like Repel 100 or Coleman's 100 MAX repellent.We have one for each car and one for the patio. A few spraysin your hand (it's oily) and rub it all over.

https://www.amazon.com/Repel-Insect-...J4DVCQ4N4X44J4

Old 07-19-2016, 09:08 PM

4,244 posts, read 9,677,700 times
DEET dissolves synthetic fabrics. If you don't want your expensive wicking techie shirt to turn into a pile of goo, consider picaridin-based alternatives if they work for you.

The 3M Ultrathon cream is not 100% DEET but seems to be a good cream based formulation, too. (After it got top rated in a "major consumer magazine" they started sticking the Ultrathon name on other things. Link to what I mean if this works: 3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion - Walmart.com)

Old 07-23-2016, 03:55 PM

Thanks for everyone's output here--greatly appreciated! I'm going to check out the Christmas Tree Shop for the DEET 100 repellants and the Ultrathon lotion to see which one works best for me.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:06 PM

33 posts, read 25,519 times
Hi all,
We just got to Skaneateles and the amount of bugs/mosquitos in town were crazy tonight. Is this normal during the summer?

Old 08-04-2016, 08:13 PM

56,248 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmacNY View Post
Hi all,
We just got to Skaneateles and the amount of bugs/mosquitos in town were crazy tonight. Is this normal during the summer?
Were you by the lake, in the village, in a rural area? I never noticed it the times I've been in the village, but that doesn't mean that there isn't an issue somewhere in the area.

I think the unseasonably dry summer may have something to do with it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area