Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 01:36 PM

77 posts, read 90,015 times

Advertisements

Hello. Looking to get some insight and advice on leasing or renting a farm. I would prefer a farm with a house to be close for farm work. I am a beginner farmer so don't need a huge farm to start. Looking to do fruits, vegetables and possibly lavender. I have been reading about it and the ways you can work out the contract ie crops, profits, etc... If anyone has or knows of a farm they want to lease/rent let me know. Thank you in advance. I am posting this in the Albany area and Syracuse area forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 04:58 PM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Are you just looking to rent or lease or is buying an option as well?

Old 09-11-2016, 05:08 PM

Default Hello!

Well not at this time but I would entertain the idea if I found a good area but I am not ready for a purchase yet. Still saving for down payment.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:51 AM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcm1232 View Post
Well not at this time but I would entertain the idea if I found a good area but I am not ready for a purchase yet. Still saving for down payment.
I'm not sure if you can find farms to lease or to rent or they seem to be hard to find. While not in the Syracuse area, these properties in the Ithaca area seem to have some potential: Finger Lakes LandLink

Old 09-12-2016, 02:10 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcm1232 View Post
Hello. Looking to get some insight and advice on leasing or renting a farm. I would prefer a farm with a house to be close for farm work. I am a beginner farmer so don't need a huge farm to start. Looking to do fruits, vegetables and possibly lavender. I have been reading about it and the ways you can work out the contract ie crops, profits, etc... If anyone has or knows of a farm they want to lease/rent let me know. Thank you in advance. I am posting this in the Albany area and Syracuse area forums.
Do you wanna know how to make a small fortune??

Start farming with a large one.

I know what your asking and its around but gonna be word of mouth. Assuming your not in the area your gonna need to be in contact with a group that is local and can point you towards something. Years ago hippie type things like the Mother Earth News was great to put people together. The movement isn't nearly as strong as it was then but some is still around and I'm sure like everyone else they are on the innernet.

Those types of crops mean selling mostly at like farmers markets. Which means your gonna need to be near a population center. Really the closer the better as you will need a truck, likely with a flatbed, and unless you got 60Kfor a new one your gonna have an old beater with a 460 that gets 8 yards to the gallon.

So now your looking at country land near a city.Yeah well so is everyone else. So its expensive. Every house having a 5 arce yard burn up alot of land.

So you move way out. Now your up against the Amish. They love land far away from everything. And the pay in cash so will always beat you out. The farther out you get the more hardcore and less friendly they are. Never mean but the ones out in the bushes ain't friendly at all.

So in between is your sweet spot. Now the Syracuse area has always been famous for its flatter land and large farms. I didn't see my first 300HP tractor with 8 tires in Iowa I saw it in Caz. The Mohawk Valley always had the smaller farms but unless you can unload your product in Utica your looking at a longer drive.

The small farms have been gone since WWI and now most of the medium one are gone as well. The large and flatter fields have been sold off to larger farm. But many, and by many I mean about a brazillion still have the farmhouse and about 20 acres which is right in your wheelhouse. They are gonna be owned by an 80 year old that sold his cows and better land years ago.

So what you need to find is a like minded group of people. We are the gen pop of the innernet. Once you find like minded folks they will have heard of a place where the kids have moved South and are putting mom in a home and selling the homestead or in your case renting it.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:22 PM

63 posts, read 99,618 times
Have you found: Beginning Farmers | Cornell Small Farms Program

There are grants available through NY State for beginning farmers but they require you to already be farming. That said, they're restricted to $50,000 and generally to help acquire machinery or development on the land.

In particular: #1 Finding a Farm to Buy or Lease | Northeast Beginning Farmer Project

Scroll down and there are additional resources for finding land to lease. It'll be rough to find a farmer with housing available to lease, let alone a whole operation, and even then it'll come down to what experience you have. They have to get paid too, so there's no real incentive for them to take on a new(er) farmer.

EDIT: http://www.smallfarm.org/main/for_ne...land_landlink/ --- $10 to join and they'll put you in contact with various farmers wanting a partner, lease, etc.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:45 PM

Thank you guys so much for the input definitely good advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area