Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 02:56 PM

9 posts, read 9,465 times

Advertisements

Hi There!
Possibly moving to Fayetteville. Have young children so I've heard it's a great school district. Would love to know more info about the neighbourhoods. I'm looking for a neighbourhood where you know your neighbours and kids are out playing together. Friendly atmosphere and community events. Am I asking for too much or does this exist? Hehehe any info would be helpful. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 04:36 PM

93,216 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Just curious, but where would you be moving from? I ask because of the way you spelled neighborhood.

Fayetteville is fine and is in a very good school district. It is a village that is pretty walkable. It also has a YMCA in the Towne Center shopping center on the edge of the village. Not sure about community events, but they have some in nearby Manlius(village) and some general events.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:15 PM

Hahah we are from .Toronto, Ontario, Canada, but have been living in Dallas, TX for the past 2.5 yrs. My husband may take a job at .Syracuse University, and would love to live close to his work, but haven't heard the best things about the school, district. We're open to where we want to live, but def want a short commute if by car ( max 20 min). We'd prefer to be within 5 miles of the university, but not sure if any areas are good for young families re schools. People have mentioned Fayetteville, so I was just curious to find out more info. Thanks!

Old 12-04-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candace271 View Post
Hahah we are from .Toronto, Ontario, Canada, but have been living in Dallas, TX for the past 2.5 yrs. My husband may take a job at .Syracuse University, and would love to live close to his work, but haven't heard the best things about the school, district. We're open to where we want to live, but def want a short commute if by car ( max 20 min). We'd prefer to be within 5 miles of the university, but not sure if any areas are good for young families re schools. People have mentioned Fayetteville, so I was just curious to find out more info. Thanks!
You can get to much of the populated parts of the metro area within 20 minutes. So, you would have plenty of options in terms of places within that commute range. Jamesville-DeWitt gets quite a few university affiliated folks and would be a good choice too.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:49 AM

Thanks so much! It's not 100% that we're moving there, but just wanted to start gathering some info in case we do. Appreciate it!

Old 01-01-2018, 02:41 PM

423 posts, read 457,888 times
Singletree heights(I think that’s what it’s called. Main road is singletree lane) and boulder heights are very close to SU and are a pretty tight knit community itself. Though it’s hard to go anywhere without a car since they’re kinda out there.

Dewitt-shire is down the road and only 10 minutes from SU. Sidewalk friendly area and very tight knit area, everybody knows everybody. All of the kids play together. 2 plazas just outside of the gates and a Tops market. Wegmans is down the road too.

Also check out the neighborhood that’s right off of towpath road in Dewitt. I know a few friends who grew up there and it’s a tight community.

If you’re gonna look at the west side you’ll need to go to atleast fairmount/camillus, which is a bit of a drive to SU.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
Singletree heights(I think that’s what it’s called. Main road is singletree lane) and boulder heights are very close to SU and are a pretty tight knit community itself. Though it’s hard to go anywhere without a car since they’re kinda out there.

Dewitt-shire is down the road and only 10 minutes from SU. Sidewalk friendly area and very tight knit area, everybody knows everybody. All of the kids play together. 2 plazas just outside of the gates and a Tops market. Wegmans is down the road too.

Also check out the neighborhood that’s right off of towpath road in Dewitt. I know a few friends who grew up there and it’s a tight community.

If you’re gonna look at the west side you’ll need to go to atleast fairmount/camillus, which is a bit of a drive to SU.
In the western suburbs, Westvale and Onondaga Hill right next to the city are nice as well. So, you don’t have to go to far out on that side of town.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:16 PM

Thanks so much! We are now looking more into the Dewtt/dewitt shire neighbourhoods. We really want to be as close to SU as we can, but still be in a great school district. I've noticed that the JCC is also in that area. We belong to the JCC here in Dallas, so it would be nice to have that community feel as well. Saying that, we are totally secular when it comes to Judaism. In fact, I'd say we are more atheist these days. I've also read from some other threads that the JD school district is more diverse. I really like that. We should find out in a few weeks if we are moving . I'll keep you posted! Thanks again for the info. I've only heard great things about Syracuse, especially that it's a very outdoorsy place. We'd definitely fit in if that's the case! We're not afraid of cold or snow. We lived in Ottawa Canada before we moved here to Dallas, and were from Canada , so bring on the winter again! Hahaha

Old 01-02-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candace271 View Post
Thanks so much! We are now looking more into the Dewtt/dewitt shire neighbourhoods. We really want to be as close to SU as we can, but still be in a great school district. I've noticed that the JCC is also in that area. We belong to the JCC here in Dallas, so it would be nice to have that community feel as well. Saying that, we are totally secular when it comes to Judaism. In fact, I'd say we are more atheist these days. I've also read from some other threads that the JD school district is more diverse. I really like that. We should find out in a few weeks if we are moving . I'll keep you posted! Thanks again for the info. I've only heard great things about Syracuse, especially that it's a very outdoorsy place. We'd definitely fit in if that's the case! We're not afraid of cold or snow. We lived in Ottawa Canada before we moved here to Dallas, and were from Canada , so bring on the winter again! Hahaha
In terms of the JCC, it is open to anyone. So, I honestly don't think your religious beliefs would be an issue.

Welcome to the JCC of Syracuse

While it isn't without its issues, the area does have quite a bit to offer. Especially if you are into the outdoors and can embrace all 4 seasons for what they are.

DeWittshire is a nice, kind of old money type of area of the Jamesville-DeWitt SD. It is a good SD, that is visibly diverse and has been for decades. For those that know, think Amherst in the Buffalo area or Brighton in the Rochester area.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:32 PM

Given your interest in the neighborhood, this may be worth checking out: https://m.facebook.com/DeWittshireNY/

This is the elementary school for the neighborhood: Jamesville DeWitt School District

If you are open to it, this is a private school nearby: https://www.mphschool.org
(For those that are familiar, think of schools like Elmwood-Franklin and the Nichols School in Buffalo put together, the Albany Academies or Doane Stuart in the Albany area and the Harley School and Allendale-Columbia in the Rochester area)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area