U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,716 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I went through the forum and came across quite a lot info but any feedback on our situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for posting in previous threads and making it easier for us!
We are a couple (not married) considering relocation to Syracuse, NY. We are currently living in metro NY, where we are happy and both employed. Due to a job offer we are considering to move to CNY, with Syracuse and Ithaca being on the top of our list. Job location will be in Cortland, but we found the town to be limited in options and things to do. We recently scouted the areas nearby and it came down to Syracuse and Ithaca.
Ithaca had a nice vibe, but we feel that it will get old pretty fast or as the weather gets colder. Syracuse on the other hand seemed more to what we are used to as our surroundings and bigger than Ithaca. I am little bit concerned on the commute though, especially in the winter...Ithaca was closer than Syracuse in miles but it took us pretty much the same time to get to both areas, starting from Cortland. From internet searching it also seems more of hassle to find rentals in Ithaca vs Syracuse.

A few words about us - Early 30s professionals, we like a downtown feeling, we would like to have dining options within a 10' drive but preferably walking, not so into bar scene, nearby shopping would also be nice (we went to Destiny mall and we were pleased with the options), not big fans of house maintenance at this stage, we appreciate the outdoors but not randomly going for hikes or anything, we (more me) enjoy skiing. The plan is to rent for at least a year and then buy assuming we are both employed at that point.

-Any other areas to look into?
-Is commute doable 5 days a week in the winter and if so how long would it take?
-Which part of town/s would you recommend?
-Is it safe to assume that Syracuse would have more employment opportunities? Or you have the same chances as Ithaca? That would be important in our decision as future employment of the second one of us will determine where we are staying.
-As I am leaning towards Syracuse which areas would you recommend?
-Things to consider in these areas? crime, parking, etc (schools not important at this stage)
-Is a $1300 budget for an apartment 1 or 2 bed apartment with 2 parking spots reasonable? From a quick search that does not look attainable in Ithaca but in Syracuse I came across some options.
-For some rentals not including utilities could you provide an estimate of these costs as we are not familiar with heat not being included and don't know what to expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 04:47 PM

69 posts, read 66,286 times
We lived at High Acres. It was 700 month back in 2002. We loved the place. Google it, it's close to the city but feels a world away!

Old 09-19-2016, 05:52 PM

56,264 posts, read 80,446,330 times
It will take about 30 minutes, give or take. This will depend on where you live in the Syracuse area.

If you don't mind rural, but close to Syracuse and a shorter commute, LaFayette has some apartments off of Route 11. Tully has an apartment complex in the village. Again, this is if you don't mind a rural environment.

For something more suburban, besides High Acres, the Meadows also in/on Onondaga Hill may work. There is a complex in Jamesville that comes to mind, but I'm forgetting the name of it. Actually, it is Stonegate Apartments and they are close to highway access and the University Hill(either by highway or surface streets) and Downtown(highway).

Old 09-19-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It will take about 30 minutes, give or take. This will depend on where you live in the Syracuse area.

If you don't mind rural, but close to Syracuse and a shorter commute, LaFayette has some apartments off of Route 11. Tully has an apartment complex in the village. Again, this is if you don't mind a rural environment.

For something more suburban, besides High Acres, the Meadows also in/on Onondaga Hill may work. There is a complex in Jamesville that comes to mind, but I'm forgetting the name of it. Actually, it is Stonegate Apartments and they are close to highway access and the University Hill(either by highway or surface streets) and Downtown(highway).
Another thing about the LaFayette and Tully apartments in that they put you closer to the skiing areas. So, that may be something to consider.

There is also Maplewood Apartments in DeWitt as another potential option.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:18 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,634,021 times
Since you preferably want something walkable, your best bet is downtown Syracuse - Armory Square, etc. Commute will be about 45min but all the mentioned apartment complexes are not walking distance to any (or much) in the way of restaurants, shopping, etc. There are some walkable Villages in the area, but those would be a longer commute since there isn't really any on the south side of Syracuse.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Since you preferably want something walkable, your best bet is downtown Syracuse - Armory Square, etc. Commute will be about 45min but all the mentioned apartment complexes are not walking distance to any (or much) in the way of restaurants, shopping, etc. There are some walkable Villages in the area, but those would be a longer commute since there isn't really any on the south side of Syracuse.
Good points and the commute may be less, depending on where the OP leaves from in Downtown and is going to in Cortland.

Tully(village) and maybe Nedrow along South Salina Street are the closest things to walkable places south of Syracuse. Both are quite small and Tully is the only one out of the two with apartments(Belmont Ridge).

Old 10-23-2017, 07:58 AM

166 posts, read 128,365 times
Syracuse is nice. The weather is fantastic and some strangers are actually kind.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:24 AM

^ Even I would say that YMMV. Meaning, that it will depend on preferences and the individual.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:04 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,962,953 times
I think the commute will get old quickly. I'm going to suggest something outside of your specs and advise looking into the Village of Tully, halfway between Syracuse and Cortland. It's right off I-81, you'll be within 5 minutes of 2 ski/board mountains, 10 minutes of another, and 25 minutes of the larger resort of Greek Peak. You'd also only be 15-20 minutes from work. It's lovely, rolling farmland and villages, with Song Mountain in Tully rising beautifully along 81.

I say this because you will *not* be able to recreate your current lifestyle in upstate NY. It just won't happen. But in Tully, your day-to-day life will be easier and *choosing* to go downtown and meet up with people will be only 15 minutes away. And you'd still be equidistant if people are meeting in Cortland instead. If it's Ithaca, it will only be 35 or so minutes. Moving up here will be a different life you'll make for yourselves and from what you've written, I think you'll be happy with Tully. (Zip code is 13159.)

Old 01-04-2018, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 789 times
Anyone moving here: I would suggest you give up the traditional way of decorating your place with large areas being used for dining and lounging. We have 7 months of days filled with snow and precipitation... being encouraged to only eat and lounge in your home is going to make you lose health in that 7 months, which means your healthy activity choices are: outdoor activities in the 7 months that can wear on your body in the bad weather, or gyms working out in constant social environment that costs money, or working out/dancing/martial arts/yoga in your own home gym. Make sure you get a home where you can convert a large space to that activity, that's my advice... make the kitchen your eating/lounge space, the dining/livingroom space into your gym. We don't get a lot of days of sun here either so be prepared to be tempted to buy tanning bed visits or a tanning bed itself just for the "sunlight" type mood benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or