Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 09:54 PM
t21 t21 started this thread

8 posts, read 12,066 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a young and single professional. I Grew up in Montreal and spent the last 5yrs in NYC. I will be moving upstate to the Syracuse region in July next year for work.

My future employer first told me I would be spending most days in Fulton and Brewerton, with one day a week in Watertown. However, I was recently told that I may be spending the bulk of my time in Watertown.

I interviewed in Watertown and wasn't very impressed with the town. Being young and single, I originally wanted to live closer to Syracuse, but the commute to Watertown each day might be too much. I am looking for suggestions of nice, safe places to live north of Syracuse.

I would be up to hearing suggestions for areas near Watertown as well, as I may possibly be spending most of my weekends out of town anyways. Still trying to weigh all my options and figure things out!

I am only looking for rentals/apartments.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 09:08 AM

92,167 posts, read 122,417,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t21 View Post
Hi all,

I am a young and single professional. I Grew up in Montreal and spent the last 5yrs in NYC. I will be moving upstate to the Syracuse region in July next year for work.

My future employer first told me I would be spending most days in Fulton and Brewerton, with one day a week in Watertown. However, I was recently told that I may be spending the bulk of my time in Watertown.

I interviewed in Watertown and wasn't very impressed with the town. Being young and single, I originally wanted to live closer to Syracuse, but the commute to Watertown each day might be too much. I am looking for suggestions of nice, safe places to live north of Syracuse.

I would be up to hearing suggestions for areas near Watertown as well, as I may possibly be spending most of my weekends out of town anyways. Still trying to weigh all my options and figure things out!

I am only looking for rentals/apartments.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I believe that there has been some housing that been developed in Downtown Watertown, but it is a small "city"(about 28,000 people). South of Downtown Watertown is pretty nice and historically has been. There are also apartments in the area of Arsenal Street where the big box shopping is located.

As for somewhere in between Syracuse and Watertown, Brewerton may be a good option. Same of Cicero around Route 31. Both are right by I-81 and both are "doable" commute to Watertown(about 45-50 minutes), minus the bad Lake effect snow storms that can go anywhere from around Central Square to Watertown. In order to get to Fulton from that area, you could take Route 31 west to I-481 north. Living in that general area will also allow you to get to Syracuse within minutes and there is plenty of big box shopping in that area along Route 11 or to the west along Route 31 at I-481.

Besides that, you are looking at very small, rural communities or a distance maybe for Oswego.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-10-2016 at 09:33 AM..

Old 12-10-2016, 05:31 PM

By the way, something to possibly consider with Watertown is that with the presence of Fort Drum Army Base, there will be more males than females in the area. So, not knowing gender, preferences, etc., that may be something else to consider in regards to that area.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:13 PM

Awesome! thanks for the input.

I am a male in my late 20s.

Not fully decided yet until I go back out to visit some apartments, but will likely live north of Syracuse rather than in Watertown.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t21 View Post
Awesome! thanks for the input.

I am a male in my late 20s.

Not fully decided yet until I go back out to visit some apartments, but will likely live north of Syracuse rather than in Watertown.
Just to throw something out there, this complex is in Central Square: Country Gardens Apartments

A complex in Brewerton: Lakepointe Apartment Homes - DLH Properties, Inc

In Cicero off of Route 31: New Country Village Apartments - Cicero, NY | Apartment Finder

Old 12-13-2016, 07:38 PM

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2016, 08:17 AM

This is another potential complex to look into: Cicero Estates 8390 Pardee Road Cicero NY - syracuse.com

Old 12-15-2016, 09:29 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,794,837 times
If you are going to be working mostly in Watertown I would highly recommend not living in the Syracuse area and commuting. I did the opposite commute from Watertown to Syracuse and it was a nightmare.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
If you are going to be working mostly in Watertown I would highly recommend not living in the Syracuse area and commuting. I did the opposite commute from Watertown to Syracuse and it was a nightmare.
Yeah, it can be interesting. I did the Liverpool area to Drum commute for a couple of months in the late winter and seeing deer crossing the highway does occur. You also get those occasional Whiteouts in between Central Square and Watertown, as it can be crystal clear in parts of that area and then snow out of nowhere. If nice out and with minimal traffic, I could get to the Arsenal Street exit in about 50-55 minutes, but I agree that there are some things to keep in mind in regards to that commute.

Perhaps getting with a group of young professionals in the Watertown area like this may help: Watertown Daily Times

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-15-2016 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-15-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it.

Care to elaborate why you felt it was so miserable? Or pretty much what ckhthankgod is saying?

I guess then I'll just wait to see what my employer says about me being mostly based out of Watertown or more Brewerton & Fulton. I was thinking of living in Brewerton as I found some town houses at reasonable rent, but if you guys say the commute is not worth it, then I'll likely look to find a place in Watertown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area