U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:10 PM

2,356 posts, read 6,135,237 times
Thumbs up Syracuse Nostalgia

For me, 1985 to 1993 were Syracuse's golden years. This was when the Syracuse area was still growing, still had a sense of hometown pride, and still was a decently large media market....producing professional news broadcasts and classic well made commercials.

I remember most of these nostalgia videos. They really bring back good memories. Thank you "wonderham" for uploading them to youtube!

YouTube - Channel 5 News opening - Syracuse, NY - October 2, 1986

YouTube - Switz's commercial - North Syracuse, NY - 1985

YouTube - Operation Separation commercial - Syracuse, NY - 1990

YouTube - Fayetteville Mall commercial - Fayetteville, NY - 1991

YouTube - Great Northern Mall commercial - Clay, NY - 1991

YouTube - Camillus Mall commercial - Camillus, NY - 1988

YouTube - Fayetteville Mall commercial - Fayetteville, NY - 1990

YouTube - STM Club commercial - Syracuse, NY - 1986

YouTube - Channel 5 News opening - Syracuse, NY - 1987

YouTube - Channel 5 News introduction - Syracuse, NY - 1990

YouTube - Carl's Drugs commercial - Syracuse, NY - 1990

YouTube - Song Mountain commercial - Tully, NY - 1990

YouTube - Winterfest 1987 commercial - Syracuse, NY

YouTube - Hafners Red Barn commercial - Liverpool, NY - 1992

YouTube - Great Northern Mall commercial #1 - Clay, NY - 1992

YouTube - Great Northern Mall commercial #2 - Clay, NY - 1992

YouTube - Fay's and Paper Cutter commercials - Syracuse, NY - 1989

YouTube - Hometown Markets commercial - Syracuse, NY - 1991

YouTube - Shoppingtown Mall commercial - Dewitt, NY - 1991

YouTube - Enchanted Forest commercial - Old Forge, NY - 1992

YouTube - Fort Rickey Children's Zoo commercial - Rome, NY - 1992

YouTube - New York State Fair commercial - Syracuse, NY - 1991

YouTube - Rainbow Rent To Own commercial - Syracuse, NY - 1986

YouTube - Channel 3 News Holiday commercial - Syracuse, NY - 1986

YouTube - Channel 3 News visit from Santa - Syracuse, NY - 1986

YouTube - Post Standard + Channel 3 commercials - Syracuse, NY - 1986

YouTube - Channel 9 News - Indian Village at NY Fair - 1989

YouTube - Oakdale Piano and Organ commercial - Syracuse, NY - 1987

YouTube - Cityline commercial - Ron Curtis - Syracuse, NY - 1989

YouTube - Charney's commercial - Syracuse, NY - 1991

YouTube - Hair Dimensions commercial - Syracuse, NY - 1987?

YouTube - Sam Kinison show reports - Syracuse, NY News - 2-28-89

YouTube - Channel 3 News - Morton Downey Show - Syracuse, NY -10-15-88

YouTube - Marineland commercial - Niagara Falls - 1992

YouTube - Jazzfest commercial - Syracuse, NY - 1990

YouTube - Darien Lake Park commercial - Darien Lake, NY - 1990

YouTube - Seabreeze Park commercial - Rochester, NY - 1990

YouTube - Sylvan Beach Park commercial - Sylvan Beach, NY - 1991

YouTube - Channel 3 News segment from Camillus Mall - 1986

YouTube - Penn Can Mall and Pavones - Cicero, NY - 10/18/91

YouTube - Albino's Warehouse Fire - News Reports - February 22, 1990

YouTube - Penn Can Mall - Cicero, NY - December 3, 1988 - Part 1

YouTube - Penn Can Mall - Cicero, NY - December 3, 1988 - Part 2

YouTube - NBC Peacock Shop Commercial

YouTube - Penn Can Mall - Cicero, NY - June 30, 1989

And if you can believe it, this exact commercial was still airing just a couple years ago :

YouTube - Industrial Color Labs commercial - Syracuse, NY - 1992

Someday I hope the Syracuse can bring back that sense of hometown pride that was lost in the late 90s. Living in a city/Metropolitan area where most residents do not respect or take pride in their own city/region is quite depressing. I'm praying that Spitzer will make the needed changes at the State level and invest in the Syracuse area so that Metropolitan Syracuse can experience a real true long-lasting economic revival. Only then do I foresee locals and outsiders start appreciating this region again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,327 times
Default Thanks

Thanks, I'm glad you liked my videos! You found these pretty quickly - I just posted most of them yesterday. They were uploaded so I could add them to my Syracuse Nostalgia site - [url=http://www.syracusenostalgia.com]Syracuse Nostalgia[/url] - , which I will be doing over the next few days.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:48 AM

Speaking of which, you found this website rather quickly! wonderham, thanks again! That's a great website you've created. I like the focus on the northern suburbs. The North Syracuse area was a great place to grow up in the 80s and early 90s. You're almost like the "Dick Case" for our generation!

Not sure where you find these video clips, but if you have access to any clip from WSTM's "Saturday Showboat" from the late 80s, that would really bring back the memories!

Old 03-08-2008, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 7,327 times
Well, I was just doing a search for "syracuse nostalgia" to see what I could find and I found this forum post.

Thank you for the compliment about the site! It's nice to get such positive feedback about it. I'm not sure who "Dick Case" is, but thanks again! Hopefully it's a good comparison!

I have a lot of stuff on the site from the North Syracuse area because that's where I grew up. So, most of the stuff on the site from that area is from my own collection.

Right now I don't have any "Saturday Showboat" clips on tape but if I do I'll post them on YouTube and let you know!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:34 AM

Thanks wonderham!

Anyone notice the stark difference between Syracuse local commercials back then and local commercials today? Here is what I noticed....

As Syracuse's economy turns more Service and White Collar based, the Syracuse media turns more blue collar....

-1980s and 1990s manufacturing based economy = non blue collar commercials using cheerful professionals

-2000s knowledge based economy = most commercials use a "ruff gruff" deep blue-collar voice

Why? Anyone? I find this trend in the Syracuse media strange and disturbing. I find some local commercials down right insulting. For example, I have to turn the channel whenever a Kinney Drugs commercial comes on...

Old 08-05-2008, 07:03 AM

7 posts, read 15,040 times
Default what's the deal?

I was in Syracuse a few weeks ago and I was shocked to see how depressed the area looked. It seemed like everything along Erie Blvd. was either a crappy discount or dollar store, or was empty. I hadn't been there since 2002 and I really don't remember the city being in such bad shape. Armory Square looked good, but that's about it. What's going on??

Old 08-05-2008, 02:30 PM

29,053 posts, read 33,003,808 times
A lot of things are moving to the northern suburbs. You should check out the Rte. 11 corridor just north of the village of North Syracuse and Rte 31 in Clay. Both are being built up big time and the traffic is increasing. Same for Fayetteville where the old Mall was and in Camillus along West Genesee St. There's still some development on Erie Blvd. in DeWitt, but most of it is further away from the street behind Delta Sonic and K-Mart. Shoppingtown is going to be an outdoor Mall again and will be chooped up pretty soon. So, it's just going through some changes right now. Heck, even Bridge St./Manlius Center Rd. in the East Syracuse area is getting some development too.

Also, Eastwood is starting to make some more positive changes and Westcott still looks good as well.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:23 PM

539 posts, read 1,240,237 times
Westcott is a VERY small neighborhood that is on the cusp of the ghetto. Its an oasis to be sure...but the old JCC nearby on Genesee is now left abandoned. So sad.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoroc View Post
I was in Syracuse a few weeks ago and I was shocked to see how depressed the area looked. It seemed like everything along Erie Blvd. was either a crappy discount or dollar store, or was empty. I hadn't been there since 2002 and I really don't remember the city being in such bad shape. Armory Square looked good, but that's about it. What's going on??
Thank you for proving my point! Visitors only see the bad parts of the Syracuse area since all the hotels, attractions and universities are located in the crappiest parts of the city. Erie Blvd...ugly, commercial, run-down area. Carousal Mall...ugly, industrial, run-down area. Carrier Circle...ugly, industrial, weedy, abandoned area. Syracuse University...surrounded by the southside, the eastside and with views of the wonderful steam plant.

This is exactly why visitors believe the Syracuse area is so depressing. Syracuse's national image is based on these experiences. For this very reason, the Syracuse area needs a population and job explosion. In order that these ugly areas become rebuilt and beautified. Mark my words: stopping sprawl does nothing rebuild the ugly, run-down areas... only fast population growth, and fast job growth will redevelop these "depressing areas" of the Syracuse Metro.

While the Syracuse metro is waiting for that population boom, in the meantime what is the solution? Answer: Place new hotels, new businesses, new attractions, new colleges, new research centers in attractive suburbs. That way outsiders, visitors and residents have no need to travel through the ugly depressing parts of Syracuse.

Maybe someday the Syracuse area will elect leadership that actually understands how important perception really is....until then we'll have to put up with leadership that only cares about environmental protection.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 08-05-2008 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoroc View Post
Besides Downtown and near SU, chances are you never visited any neighborhood or street outside this red zone that I nicknamed the depressing areas of Syracuse...am I correct?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area