U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 11:46 AM

11 posts, read 14,323 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am posting to inquire as to the reality of a Cazenovia-Central New York winter. I was shocked to read the region receives 129" of snow annually. I don't know that I know what that looks like. Many have warned us about how harsh the winters are in "upstate", meaning the Hudson Valley, and that Hudson, Albany, etc. are exceptionally harsh. When I looked up the amount of annual snowfall in inches in these town/cities it is around 40" annually. One woman told me she lived in Albany and had to leave as she could not handle the winters.

Cazenovia area is much worse in terms of length of winter and snow fall in inches per year. The annual snowfall is nearly 100 inches more than New York City (26" annually) and nearly the same amount more than Albany. I am assuming this is due to the proximity to Lake Ontario/Erie and the Adirondack Mountains funnel and the Nor'easters from the Atlantic Ocean.

The last time we visited a man at the cafe said the worst part is the wind. That the wind is horrible. I am not a fan of wind. When I recently looked up Top Ten Worst Cities for Snow/Winter in US...Utica, Rochester, Buffalo made the list with Syracuse coming in at Number 1.

Is it true that the winters are becoming more mild and that snowfall is less than in previous years or that it doesn't remain on the ground long? It doesn't seem so when I look at the history on the various weather sites.

We are interested in relocating to the region and the only fear is the weather in winter. 129" inches is A LOT of snow. It is one of the most if not the most snowy regions in the US. Aspen, Colorado receives 180" annually but the sun shines almost daily and the snow is dry powder most of the time. I've never heard anyone complain about Aspen snow.

Is it true the Cazenovia region is sun deprived and is it terribly gray and gloomy for months on end? Tell me about the wind. We are interested in establishing a farm. What about livestock. How do they fare in the winter weather? Do people keep their animals barned up for most of the winter? How many feet of snow remain on the fields? I see people raise horses and there are cattle ranches. There are vegetable farms, etc. Long, cold winters are very hard on animals and they tend not to live as long as animals in milder climates.

When does it begin snowing in earnest? December? Meaning when does winter officially begin in the Cazenovia area. What about ice? Are icy roads a fact of life or do they get cleared pretty rapidly and are they relatively safe? Power outages.

I would really appreciate any feedback on any of my questions.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 01:31 PM

56,302 posts, read 80,520,053 times
Average annual snowfall varies in the area, the higher totals being north of the city in the Lake Ontario snow belt. It decreases as you go further South. It is usually cleared in a timely manner due to having the equipment to clear it.

Also, there are farms in the Cazenovia area. So, that wouldn't be anything new.

Hopefully others will chime in.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:18 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,512,391 times
I farmed it up the road a piece in West Winfield/ Richfield Spa area for alot of years. Keeping cows in a barn is more for human comfort then the cows. They generally do fine with a wind break and ideally a roof. I don't know about life expectancy as there life's tend to end kinda abruptly if you catch what I mean.

It does stay gloomy for long periods of time. And one thing about Upstate is when its gloomy its gloomy. Take an area like Seattle they say is gloomy but they see peaks of Sun through the day. Here its day after day of gloom. Counting a day as purely Sunny I'd guess we haven't had half a dozen in 2017.

And thats actually not a lot of snow. Thats the average. Some years have less and you thank god. Some years have more. Much more.

How you fare driving home depends how your schedule matchs the plows. If a plow is on a 10 hour shift and you hit the first hour its gonna seem pretty fast. If you hit the 9th hour your kinda screwed.

Generaly speaking the State is broke so the state roads are almost unpassable until the storm is over. Counties and town do a much better job depending. I take a four lane controled access state highway home everyday and its a crap shoot any given day if they will have one lane or none open.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:25 PM

Thank you ckhthankgod and Sean. Sean you mentioned gloomy as in endless gloom. I would find that difficult to say the least. It's a harsh climate. No doubt about that. Did you mean some years there is more than 129" of snow?

Are the roads leading from Cazenovia through Manlius to Fayetteville and on to Syracuse well maintained in winter? Do many Caz residents leave for the winter and head somewhere else. I would imagine most are full time.

That the state is broke and roads are impassable does not impart a large amount of confidence. Where do Caz residents go to the hospital for an emergency?

Does there seem to be a trend toward milder winters. It doesn't seem that way.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:52 PM

Past couple winters ain't been to bad. 129" would be pretty mild. I don't know what we got last winter honestly. I know we got a foot afew times and three foot that once plus a whole bunch of several inchers. I'd call it mild but others may have thought it was bad.

I would call this areas, meaning say Syracuse to Herkimer, to rage from very poor to extremely poor. But I'm on the road early when the state workers are still in the doughnut shop waiting to go on overtime. My wife leaves much later and says the roads are often plowed by then unless its currently snowing then its any mans game.

I don't know what the NY record is for sunless days but I bet its close to two weeks. And this year thats two weeks of gloom, one sunny day to mow your lawn followed by two more sunless weeks.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:01 PM

Every Fall you will hear half the people say they heard its gonna be a mild Winter.

The other half will tell you its gonna be the worst ever.

Every year its like this.

Truth is who knows?? This "Summer" its easy to be a weather guesser cause if you just call for rain you get 90% right out of the gate.

Last Winter I call mild.

Year or two before I swear to god I thought I was gonna turn into some kinda man'snowblower cyborg.

This coming year?? I don't have the slightest idea. And neither does anyone else.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:11 PM

24 posts, read 15,562 times
I live in Cazenovia and work in Syracuse. The roads here are cleared very well compared to other cities. It's very rare that my commute is any more than 10 minutes longer than the normal 25-30 minutes during a snow event. You have to plan on getting snow tires on your vehicle and an AWD vehicle is helpful, but not necessary. Pay for a snow removal service to plow your driveway or buy a snowblower. I live on the lake and really have grown to love the snow - it's very beautiful. I really, really love living in Caz, and would highly recommend it to everyone.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:25 PM

Thank you 9square. We have ancestry going back to the dinosaur age in Cazenovia and surrounding towns and the more I read about how harsh the winter is there I can't help but wonder why they all stayed. And then I read your words and I think, that's why. It is so beautiful. It really is. What else do you love about living in Cazenovia. It is amazing that it has remained relatively unpopulated but I suppose that goes for most communities in CNY. Not much industry. Still quite bucolic. I would think the weather does play a significant role in this.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:27 PM

Thank you Sean. Tell me about sun in summertime. I thought that was the time when the skies clear and is sunny most of the time. Is that not the case??

Old 07-08-2017, 06:48 PM

56,302 posts, read 80,520,053 times
129 inches is actually average, but again it will depend on where you are located in the area. You can get some sun during the winter, but it may be a partly sunny/partly cloudy winter day.

Also, Cazenovia has some industry in Marquardt Switches and it is home to Cazenovia College, a small private college. It also has the Empire Farmstead Brewery. It is a nice, quaint small town that is within a reasonable drive to Syracuse. Very good schools and I would say that it is a generally nice place to live in.

It is a relatively affluent community and the economic status of people in the general area mentioned above runs the gamut.

Here is some relatively recent info: Cazenovia Central School District - USA.com™

Its median household income is actually above the state figure. Cazenovia Central School District Income and Careers - USA.com™ Same for other income measurements for the Cazenovia SD.

BTW- Marquardt Switches is hiring: https://us.marquardt.com/en/careers.html

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-08-2017 at 08:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or