U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 09:31 AM

81 posts, read 209,258 times

Advertisements

We are very early in the process of planning a move to our next "forever" house. We have a 1 year old, so the subject of school district matters to us. We currently live in JD, and all this time I just limit my choices to either JD or FM. Recently however I came across a beautiful house that's located in the Westhill School District. I know absolutely nothing about Westhill, and I'm hoping to get some opinion from you guys on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 10:51 AM

56,281 posts, read 80,465,056 times
It is a very good school district. I've mentioned the district in the past, as it is historically a good school academically and athletically, as well in other aspects.

It is a smaller district with about 2000 students in the whole district and is named after WESTvale in the town of Geddes and Onondaga HILL in the town of Onondaga. There is some odd gerrymandering near the high school, as some neighborhoods nearby may be in the West Genesee SD or even a nice part of the city of Syracuse. A portion of Winkworth(town of Onondaga) nearby is in the district

It is close to shopping on West Genesee Street, as well as Destiny USA and Township 5 in Camillus.

What part of the district is this house located in?

Old 07-10-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is a very good school district. I've mentioned the district in the past, as it is historically a good school academically and athletically, as well in other aspects.

It is a smaller district with about 2000 students in the whole district and is named after WESTvale in the town of Geddes and Onondaga HILL in the town of Onondaga. There is some odd gerrymandering near the high school, as some neighborhoods nearby may be in the West Genesee SD or even a nice part of the city of Syracuse. A portion of Winkworth(town of Onondaga) nearby is in the district

It is close to shopping on West Genesee Street, as well as Destiny USA and Township 5 in Camillus.

Some district info, which also illustrates what I meant by the odd district boundaries. You can view info by census tract or block group as well: Westhill Central School District - USA.comô

Old 07-10-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:

I'm not quite sure, but it's this house: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...31761087_zpid/

I'm starting to learn more about the various school districts. Sounds like Westhill is a pretty affluent area, somewhat small, but with a good student-teacher ratio. Would you agree? Also, how do you think areas like North Syracuse and Cicero/Clay compare to the school districts in JD and FM?

Old 07-10-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crease123 View Post
I'm not quite sure, but it's this house: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...31761087_zpid/

I'm starting to learn more about the various school districts. Sounds like Westhill is a pretty affluent area, somewhat small, but with a good student-teacher ratio. Would you agree? Also, how do you think areas like North Syracuse and Cicero/Clay compare to the school districts in JD and FM?
That house is in the Onondaga Hill or town of Onondaga portion of the school district.

Yes, it is a generally solidly middle to upper middle class school district. What is interesting is that while the Westvale portion of the district is more solidly middle class, the Onondaga Hill portion is where I'd say most of the upper middle class in the district lives. There is a range in both, but Onondaga Hill has a rep of being more upper middle class. Onondaga Hill/the Onondaga portion of the district tends to be more culturally/racially diverse(where the bulk of the district black and Asian residents live) in comparison to the Westvale portion(more Irish/ethnic Polish/Ukrainian, etc).

Also, keep in mind that Clay and Cicero are towns, not school districts. Cicero is primarily in the North Syracuse SD, with parts in the Central Square SD(around Brewerton). I explained Clay in the Clay thread. Schools in the northern suburbs are generally solid/good schools. They don't have the reputation of J-D or F-M, but they are generally good schools.

As I've mentioned in other threads, the schools in the area are generally solid to some of the best in the state. So, it will depend on a variety of factors that you are looking for.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:47 AM

More Westhill info: Westhill School District

https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000041013

Also, another thing I've noticed is that you may not see the high school mentioned in national lists, but when looking at school information and at state/regional level lists, it is consistently a very high ranking school district.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-11-2017 at 05:29 AM..

Old 11-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. It is giving me plenty to ponder

In your, how do you think WestHill school district compares to JD and FM? What are some of the pros and cons of each, in your opinion?

Old 11-20-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crease123 View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful replies. It is giving me plenty to ponder

In your, how do you think WestHill school district compares to JD and FM? What are some of the pros and cons of each, in your opinion?
J-D and F-M are bigger than Westhill in terms of enrollment. F-M is the biggest of the 3 districts.

Some may say that those 2, especially F-M may come off as being more pretentious, but even then it is relatively speaking. This may be due to it being the most affluent SD in the area by median household income. Then it goes J-D and Westhill in that regard.

J-D is and historically has been the more diverse of the 3(in multiple ways), even though the other 2 have become steadily more so over the years.

Due to tax base, property taxes in Westhill may be a little bit higher in comparison, but this can vary within each of these SDís.

F-M offers the best opportunity for walkability due to having two villages that offer that. J-D has some near the DeWittshire/Orvilton neighborhoods around East Genesee Street, but that is pretty much it. Westhill is pretty much car centric, but has some very limited walkability on main roads in Onondaga Hill and around Parsons Drive in Westvale.

That is it for now, but if I think of anything else, Iíll post it.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
J-D and F-M are bigger than Westhill in terms of enrollment. F-M is the biggest of the 3 districts.

Some may say that those 2, especially F-M may come off as being more pretentious, but even then it is relatively speaking. This may be due to it being the most affluent SD in the area by median household income. Then it goes J-D and Westhill in that regard.

J-D is and historically has been the more diverse of the 3(in multiple ways), even though the other 2 have become steadily more so over the years.

Due to tax base, property taxes in Westhill may be a little bit higher in comparison, but this can vary within each of these SD’s.

F-M offers the best opportunity for walkability due to having two villages that offer that. J-D has some near the DeWittshire/Orvilton neighborhoods around East Genesee Street, but that is pretty much it. Westhill is pretty much car centric, but has some very limited walkability on main roads in Onondaga Hill and around Parsons Drive in Westvale.

That is it for now, but if I think of anything else, I’ll post it.
All 3 also have shopping within/nearby.

F-M does have the East Area YMCA. There is the JCC in the J-D SD. Westhill doesn’t have a similar center, but there are places in nearby communities like Pine Grove in Camillus or perhaps the Solvay Geddes Community Center in Solvay.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-26-2017 at 10:24 AM..

Old 01-17-2018, 11:05 AM

I’d also say that due to F-M being bigger, it may offer more things such as a marching band for an example.The other 2 don’t have a marching band.

If you have to work within Syracuse, Westhill and J-D are adjacent to the city, while F-M is a second ring suburb. Many that work on University Hill live in the J-D SD. You get some that work in that area that live in the other 2 districts, especially F-M. Westhill would be great if you work at say the community college of SUNY Upstate’s Community General Hospital, as both are on Onondaga Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or