U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2017, 12:33 PM
 
59,344 posts, read 84,151,749 times
Reputation: 13042

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxmansnyder View Post
We've been researching houses on Realtor.com. Have found a few in the following areas: Cicero, Fayetteville, Fairmount, Oneida Inside, Geddes, Verona, Lenox/Canastota, Camillus, and Schroeppel.

I will check out Baldwinsville and East Syracuse as well per comments. Thank you.
You don't have to go out that far(Oneida(the southern half of Inside is better than the northern half), Canastota or Verona)for homes meeting your criteria. Keep in mind that Syracuse is in Onondaga County and a place like Verona isn't even in the Syracuse metro area.

I would say to even look into parts of the Solvay SD, parts of the Onondaga Central SD(have heard good things about its Special Ed), the town of Salina portions of the Liverpool and North Syracuse SD's(perhaps the Lyncourt SD portion, a K-8 SD which goes to Solvay for HS) and if you want a little further out, the Jordan-Eldridge and Tully SD's may work within the villages of those districts as well. All are in Onondaga County and would likely be shorter commutes than those 3 Madison and Oneida county locations.

Also, Fairmount is a CDP in the town of Camillus(West Genesee Schools) and would generally show up as Camillus or Syracuse(13219, as the zip covers parts of nearby towns) in RE listings. Geddes could mean either Westhill(most of Westvale CDP), Solvay(the village and the rest of the town north of the village inc. Lakeland CDP) and West Genesee(small parts of Westvale). Schroeppel is the town that the village of Phoenix is in(Phoenix Schools) and is mainly just inside of Oswego County.

In terms of the potential bagel shop/bakery in a walkable area for the new places mentioned, the villages of Jordan, Eldridge, Tully, perhaps along Milton Ave or Westvale Plaza/Charles Ave in Solvay, perhaps on South Salina Street in Nedrow(Onondaga Central Schools), perhaps Brewerton Road in Mattydale(CDP)(North Syracuse Schools) and Court Street in Lyncourt(CDP)(Lyncourt Schools/Solvay HS) both in the town of Salina and the village of Camillus may be other potential locations.

Where in Syracuse would this position be located, if you don't mind me asking?

How were taxes in the London Ontario area? I ask because it could help in terms of a comparison.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-13-2017 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2017, 01:33 PM
 
59,344 posts, read 84,151,749 times
Reputation: 13042
This may help, as all are in Onondaga County: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Some listings may be in school districts that are based in adjacent counties like homes in Cicero(13039 zip code- Central Square Schools) as an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 08:18 AM
 
59,344 posts, read 84,151,749 times
Reputation: 13042
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You don't have to go out that far(Oneida(the southern half of Inside is better than the northern half), Canastota or Verona)for homes meeting your criteria. Keep in mind that Syracuse is in Onondaga County and a place like Verona isn't even in the Syracuse metro area.

I would say to even look into parts of the Solvay SD, parts of the Onondaga Central SD(have heard good things about its Special Ed), the town of Salina portions of the Liverpool and North Syracuse SD's(perhaps the Lyncourt SD portion, a K-8 SD which goes to Solvay for HS) and if you want a little further out, the Jordan-Elbridge and Tully SD's may work within the villages of those districts as well. All are in Onondaga County and would likely be shorter commutes than those 3 Madison and Oneida county locations.

Also, Fairmount is a CDP in the town of Camillus(West Genesee Schools) and would generally show up as Camillus or Syracuse(13219, as the zip covers parts of nearby towns) in RE listings. Geddes could mean either Westhill(most of Westvale CDP), Solvay(the village and the rest of the town north of the village inc. Lakeland CDP) and West Genesee(small parts of Westvale). Schroeppel is the town that the village of Phoenix is in(Phoenix Schools) and is mainly just inside of Oswego County.

In terms of the potential bagel shop/bakery in a walkable area for the new places mentioned, the villages of Jordan, Elbridge, Tully, perhaps along Milton Ave or Westvale Plaza/Charles Ave in Solvay, perhaps on South Salina Street in Nedrow(Onondaga Central Schools), perhaps Brewerton Road in Mattydale(CDP)(North Syracuse Schools) and Court Street in Lyncourt(CDP)(Lyncourt Schools/Solvay HS) both in the town of Salina and the village of Camillus may be other potential locations.

Where in Syracuse would this position be located, if you don't mind me asking?

How were taxes in the London Ontario area? I ask because it could help in terms of a comparison.
Here are some street views and in order. Jordan: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0651...7i13312!8i6656


Elbridge: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0343...7i13312!8i6656


Tully: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7980...!7i3328!8i1664


Solvay, Milton Ave: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0611...7i13312!8i6656 (Western portion)


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0617...7i13312!8i6656 (Eastern portion)


Charles Ave/West Genesee Street/Westvale Plaza area: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0483...7i13312!8i6656


Nedrow(Green Hills Farms does have a very good bakery though): https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9846...7i13312!8i6656


Mattydale: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0969...7i13312!8i6656


Lyncourt(there is Lyncourt Bakery, a Dunkin Donuts and a Freihofer's Bakery Outlet along/near Teall Ave as well) : https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0834...7i13312!8i6656


Camillus(village): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0389...7i13312!8i6656


Just to add, here are other street views. Canastota: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0778...7i13312!8i6656


Verona(hamlet): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1381...6!9m2!1b1!2i40


Oneida(south of Upper Lenox historically has nicer residential neighborhoods): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0956...6!9m2!1b1!2i40


Eastwood neighborhood of Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0689...7i13312!8i6656


Baldwinsville: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1586...7i13312!8i6656


East Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0639...7i13312!8i6656


Minoa(its Main Street is kind of sporadic): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0777...7i13312!8i6656


Fayetteville(could be viewed as having 2 business districts): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0296...7i13312!8i6656


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0298...7i13312!8i6656 (Limestone Plaza)


Manlius(village): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0014...7i13312!8i6656


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0047...7i13312!8i6656 (is now built up to the left)


Westcott neighborhood of Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0401...7i13312!8i6656


Crouse-Marshall business district(University Hill north of Syracuse University): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0416...7i13312!8i6656


Liverpool: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1042...7i13312!8i6656


North Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1356...6!9m2!1b1!2i40


Villages that weren't mentioned. Marcellus: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9824...7i13312!8i6656


Skaneateles: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9456...7i13312!8i6656


Fabius: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8346...4!9m2!1b1!2i40


All of the villages in Onondaga County have been posted. A couple jut outside of the county in Madison County. Cazenovia: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9299...7i13312!8i6656 (similar to Skaneateles, but more affordable)(this may be competition though: https://www.facebook.com/riseartisan )


Chittenango: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0445...7i13312!8i6656


Just outside of the county in Oswego County. A couple of villages, Phoenix: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2290...7i13312!8i6656


Central Square: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2872...7i13312!8i6656




and Brewerton(partially in Onondaga County/Oswego County and is a CDP): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0445...7i13312!8i6656 (Onondaga County side)


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2410...7i13312!8i6656 (Oswego County side)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-14-2017 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 09:01 AM
 
59,344 posts, read 84,151,749 times
Reputation: 13042
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here are some street views and in order. Jordan: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0651...7i13312!8i6656


Elbridge: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0343...7i13312!8i6656


Tully: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7980...!7i3328!8i1664


Solvay, Milton Ave: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0611...7i13312!8i6656 (Western portion)


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0617...7i13312!8i6656 (Eastern portion)


Charles Ave/West Genesee Street/Westvale Plaza area: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0483...7i13312!8i6656


Nedrow(Green Hills Farms does have a very good bakery though): https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9846...7i13312!8i6656


Mattydale: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0969...7i13312!8i6656


Lyncourt(there is Lyncourt Bakery, a Dunkin Donuts and a Freihofer's Bakery Outlet along/near Teall Ave as well) : https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0834...7i13312!8i6656


Camillus(village): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0389...7i13312!8i6656


Just to add, here are other street views. Canastota: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0778...7i13312!8i6656


Verona(hamlet): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1381...6!9m2!1b1!2i40


Oneida(south of Upper Lenox historically has nicer residential neighborhoods): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0956...6!9m2!1b1!2i40


Eastwood neighborhood of Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0689...7i13312!8i6656


Baldwinsville: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1586...7i13312!8i6656


East Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0639...7i13312!8i6656


Minoa(its Main Street is kind of sporadic): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0777...7i13312!8i6656


Fayetteville(could be viewed as having 2 business districts): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0296...7i13312!8i6656


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0298...7i13312!8i6656 (Limestone Plaza)


Manlius(village): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0014...7i13312!8i6656


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0047...7i13312!8i6656 (is now built up to the left)


Westcott neighborhood of Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0401...7i13312!8i6656


Crouse-Marshall business district(University Hill north of Syracuse University): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0416...7i13312!8i6656


Liverpool: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1042...7i13312!8i6656


North Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1356...6!9m2!1b1!2i40


Villages that weren't mentioned. Marcellus: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9824...7i13312!8i6656


Skaneateles: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9456...7i13312!8i6656


Fabius: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8346...4!9m2!1b1!2i40


All of the villages in Onondaga County have been posted. A couple jut outside of the county in Madison County. Cazenovia: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9299...7i13312!8i6656 (similar to Skaneateles, but more affordable)(this may be competition though: https://www.facebook.com/riseartisan )


Chittenango: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0445...7i13312!8i6656


Just outside of the county in Oswego County. A couple of villages, Phoenix: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2290...7i13312!8i6656


Central Square: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2872...7i13312!8i6656




and Brewerton(partially in Onondaga County/Oswego County and is a CDP): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0445...7i13312!8i6656 (Onondaga County side)


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2410...7i13312!8i6656 (Oswego County side)
Another area in the bolded neighborhood that may work and is also pretty close to East Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0607...7i13312!8i6656

Also, to clear something up in terms of another post, it wouldn't be $400-450 more a month, but maybe a year. STAR, which is for school taxes, take off about 10-15% off in that regard. This may help as well: http://www.governor.ny.gov/citizenco...propertytaxmap

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-14-2017 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2017, 02:11 PM
 
59,344 posts, read 84,151,749 times
Reputation: 13042
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here are some street views and in order. Jordan: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0651...7i13312!8i6656


Elbridge: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0343...7i13312!8i6656


Tully: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7980...!7i3328!8i1664


Solvay, Milton Ave: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0611...7i13312!8i6656 (Western portion)


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0617...7i13312!8i6656 (Eastern portion)


Charles Ave/West Genesee Street/Westvale Plaza area: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0483...7i13312!8i6656


Nedrow(Green Hills Farms does have a very good bakery though): https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9846...7i13312!8i6656


Mattydale: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0969...7i13312!8i6656


Lyncourt(there is Lyncourt Bakery, a Dunkin Donuts and a Freihofer's Bakery Outlet along/near Teall Ave as well) : https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0834...7i13312!8i6656


Camillus(village): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0389...7i13312!8i6656


Just to add, here are other street views. Canastota: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0778...7i13312!8i6656


Verona(hamlet): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1381...6!9m2!1b1!2i40


Oneida(south of Upper Lenox historically has nicer residential neighborhoods): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0956...6!9m2!1b1!2i40


Eastwood neighborhood of Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0689...7i13312!8i6656


Baldwinsville: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1586...7i13312!8i6656


East Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0639...7i13312!8i6656


Minoa(its Main Street is kind of sporadic): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0777...7i13312!8i6656


Fayetteville(could be viewed as having 2 business districts): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0296...7i13312!8i6656


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0298...7i13312!8i6656 (Limestone Plaza)


Manlius(village): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0014...7i13312!8i6656


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0047...7i13312!8i6656 (is now built up to the left)


Westcott neighborhood of Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0401...7i13312!8i6656


Crouse-Marshall business district(University Hill north of Syracuse University): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0416...7i13312!8i6656


Liverpool: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1042...7i13312!8i6656


North Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1356...6!9m2!1b1!2i40


Villages that weren't mentioned. Marcellus: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9824...7i13312!8i6656


Skaneateles: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9456...7i13312!8i6656


Fabius: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8346...4!9m2!1b1!2i40


All of the villages in Onondaga County have been posted. A couple jut outside of the county in Madison County. Cazenovia: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9299...7i13312!8i6656 (similar to Skaneateles, but more affordable)(this may be competition though: https://www.facebook.com/riseartisan )


Chittenango: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0445...7i13312!8i6656


Just outside of the county in Oswego County. A couple of villages, Phoenix: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2290...7i13312!8i6656


Central Square: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2872...7i13312!8i6656




and Brewerton(partially in Onondaga County/Oswego County and is a CDP): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0445...7i13312!8i6656 (Onondaga County side)


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2410...7i13312!8i6656 (Oswego County side)
Another business in that community that offers the type of bagel/artisan shop: https://www.cazenoviabagelco.com/about_us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 11:46 AM
 
47 posts, read 40,253 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanĀ® View Post
All those areas you listed are either nice or mostly nice except Oneida Inside. Its mostly a Section 8 wasteland. Oneida Outside is very nice.

Canastota is mixed with the downtown being a dump and the outside being very nice.

Oneida doesn't have ideal Thruway access, which you will need. Its not aweful but its several miles on slow roads. Canastota has a Thruway entrance so huge plus for you.

Verona is very nice if you want rural. Verona has a casino and a couple gas stations and a liquor store. Verona is kinda the honey hole for small mid century ranch houses in CNY. One HUGE plus of Verona is you can get city water and sewer and not be in a city, thank you Oneida Nation. Verona has a Thruway entrance and is quickly gotten to by a series of fast and well maintained highways.

Here is a house in Verona. I've not been inside but last Winter in my wanderings I drove by this house and it was fully gutted. Down to the studs. So I been keeping an eye out for it. Central AC, at least some new windows, granite countertops, paved driveway flat as a tabletop, nice yard. About 3 minutes in heavy traffic to the Thruway. If this house was in a normal state it would be triple the price.

5635 Eastwood Drive, Verona, NY 13478 | HUNT Real Estate ERA
What does it mean by Inside or Outside when it comes to Oneida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 11:49 AM
 
47 posts, read 40,253 times
Reputation: 25
We are renting up here, so taxes don't affect us as U.S. citizens under NATO orders up here. Our taxes are based currently on our home of record which is Florida. Therefore, there's no state income tax.

Still not certain as to where I might try to open a bagel shop as I don't know where we'll end up. I'd like to have a place that's fairly close to wherever we buy a house as we plan to stay with this move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 12:24 PM
 
47 posts, read 40,253 times
Reputation: 25
Thank you for the RealtyUSA site. It looked to have a couple more properties than Realtor.com and Trulia had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 12:26 PM
 
47 posts, read 40,253 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here are some street views and in order. Jordan: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0651...7i13312!8i6656


Elbridge: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0343...7i13312!8i6656


Tully: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7980...!7i3328!8i1664


Solvay, Milton Ave: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0611...7i13312!8i6656 (Western portion)


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0617...7i13312!8i6656 (Eastern portion)


Charles Ave/West Genesee Street/Westvale Plaza area: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0483...7i13312!8i6656


Nedrow(Green Hills Farms does have a very good bakery though): https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9846...7i13312!8i6656


Mattydale: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0969...7i13312!8i6656


Lyncourt(there is Lyncourt Bakery, a Dunkin Donuts and a Freihofer's Bakery Outlet along/near Teall Ave as well) : https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0834...7i13312!8i6656


Camillus(village): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0389...7i13312!8i6656


Just to add, here are other street views. Canastota: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0778...7i13312!8i6656


Verona(hamlet): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1381...6!9m2!1b1!2i40


Oneida(south of Upper Lenox historically has nicer residential neighborhoods): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0956...6!9m2!1b1!2i40


Eastwood neighborhood of Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0689...7i13312!8i6656


Baldwinsville: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1586...7i13312!8i6656


East Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0639...7i13312!8i6656


Minoa(its Main Street is kind of sporadic): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0777...7i13312!8i6656


Fayetteville(could be viewed as having 2 business districts): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0296...7i13312!8i6656


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0298...7i13312!8i6656 (Limestone Plaza)


Manlius(village): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0014...7i13312!8i6656


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0047...7i13312!8i6656 (is now built up to the left)


Westcott neighborhood of Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0401...7i13312!8i6656


Crouse-Marshall business district(University Hill north of Syracuse University): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0416...7i13312!8i6656


Liverpool: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1042...7i13312!8i6656


North Syracuse: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1356...6!9m2!1b1!2i40


Villages that weren't mentioned. Marcellus: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9824...7i13312!8i6656


Skaneateles: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9456...7i13312!8i6656


Fabius: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8346...4!9m2!1b1!2i40


All of the villages in Onondaga County have been posted. A couple jut outside of the county in Madison County. Cazenovia: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9299...7i13312!8i6656 (similar to Skaneateles, but more affordable)(this may be competition though: https://www.facebook.com/riseartisan )


Chittenango: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0445...7i13312!8i6656


Just outside of the county in Oswego County. A couple of villages, Phoenix: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2290...7i13312!8i6656


Central Square: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2872...7i13312!8i6656




and Brewerton(partially in Onondaga County/Oswego County and is a CDP): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0445...7i13312!8i6656 (Onondaga County side)


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2410...7i13312!8i6656 (Oswego County side)
Really like a house on Bailey street in the North Syracuse/Cicero area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2017, 12:49 PM
 
59,344 posts, read 84,151,749 times
Reputation: 13042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxmansnyder View Post
Really like a house on Bailey street in the North Syracuse/Cicero area.
Bailey Road is in the Pitcher Hill area of the town of Salina(North Syracuse Schools). It is a nice, solid area, but it isn't in a walkable area. I believe that homes in that area would be within your home price range though and there is some shopping nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

Ā© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top