U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 03:11 PM

47 posts, read 38,913 times

Advertisements

Appears that we are moving to Syracuse in late Oct-late Nov depending on wife's release date and she has to report for work in the area. Narrowing down houses and have a pre-approval letter as well. One in the Eastwood area looks interesting as do a few in the Salina, Cicero, and North Syracuse areas.

Still, it's difficult having never lived or even visited a place to determine where to move, especially when the plan is to stay put this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 04:12 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxmansnyder View Post
Appears that we are moving to Syracuse in late Oct-late Nov depending on wife's release date and she has to report for work in the area. Narrowing down houses and have a pre-approval letter as well. One in the Eastwood area looks interesting as do a few in the Salina, Cicero, and North Syracuse areas.

Still, it's difficult having never lived or even visited a place to determine where to move, especially when the plan is to stay put this time.
Just to keep in mind that the Eastwood neighborhood is in the city of Syracuse, but there are parts of the 13206 zip code(Eastwood's zip) that are in the town of DeWitt(East Syracuse-Minoa Schools) though. Eastwood was a part of that town until 1926. So, you may have homes in neighborhoods that just look similar to other Eastwood neighborhoods in nearby parts of that town.

Are you going to have any time in order to visit the area?

Do you know where in these potential homes are located within these towns?

Old 08-16-2017, 10:46 AM

Ckhthankgod,

Planning on a quick visit Aug 27-28 after taking our oldest to college in PA. Given my wife's report date is now Oct 29th, we really have to be getting moving on this. Can't do a longer visit as youngest starts high school where we presently live and has orientation the 29th. (Nothing like whirlwind trips to an area).

We have been working with a Realtor in the area who has sent us a few listings. We've narrowed it down to 7 thus far with the farthest being in the Fayetteville-Manlius school district, but near some town Mycaene or something like that. and the rest being Salina (Lyncourt and Pitcher Hill), Cicero, and Eastwood/Lincoln Park (near Teal) areas. The high schools are Henninger or Cicero North Syracuse.

Last edited by Saxmansnyder; 08-16-2017 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: New information and wanted to address person who has responded

Old 08-16-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Ckhthankgod,

Planning on a quick visit Aug 27-28 after taking our oldest to college in PA. Given my wife's report date is now Oct 29th, we really have to be getting moving on this. Can't do a longer visit as youngest starts high school where we presently live and has orientation the 29th. (Nothing like whirlwind trips to an area).

We have been working with a Realtor in the area who has sent us a few listings. We've narrowed it down to 7 thus far with the farthest being in the Fayetteville-Manlius school district, but near some town Mycaene or something like that. and the rest being Salina (Lyncourt and Pitcher Hill), Cicero, and Eastwood/Lincoln Park (near Teal) areas. The high schools are Henninger or Cicero North Syracuse.
Mycenae is a more rural part of the F-M school district in between the villages of Fayetteville and Chittenango along Route 5.

Also, do you know where in Lyncourt that home is located? I ask because most of Lyncourt is within the Pre J-8th grade Lyncourt Union Free School District, with those students going on to Solvay High School just west of Syracuse for high school.

There is a very small portion of Lyncourt that goes to North Syracuse Schools across the street from LeMoyne Elementary School, a Syracuse City SD school. That area is a good distance from C-NS High School, which is or may be the biggest high school grade for grade in the state west of Schenectady(about 2200 students in grades 10-12). Pitcher Hill is just SW of the village of North Syracuse in the northern portion of the town of Salina. Cicero is a second ring town, that has had quite a bit of growth and parts of the town in/around Bremerton are actually in the Central Square SD.

I'd say between C-NS and Henninger(the biggest HS in the Syracuse City SD), I'd say to go for C-NS.

However, what may make Henninger a viable option is the Say Yes To Education program with the Syracuse City SD, that offers scholarships to college bound graduates. Here is the valedictorian and salutatorian from 2017: Meet the Henninger HS Valedictorian & Salutatorian! | The Syracuse City School District | Syracuse, NY It is a very diverse school culturally and some may consider that aspect as well. Say Yes info: Home - Say Yes to Education - Syracuse I will also say that the Eastwood area will offer the most walkability out of these options.

What makes F-M appealing is that it is viewed and regarded as arguably a top 5 high school in Upstate NY. So, that may be something to consider.

I'm actually surprised that there weren't any homes in other districts that would fit your budget. East Syracuse-Minoa particularly comes to mind given the possible support your child may(or may not) need.

Anyway, I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, just ask.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-16-2017 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-16-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Mycenae is a more rural part of the F-M school district in between the villages of Fayetteville and Chittenango along Route 5.

Also, do you know where in Lyncourt that home is located? I ask because most of Lyncourt is within the Pre J-8th grade Lyncourt Union Free School District, with those students going on to Solvay High School just west of Syracuse for high school.

There is a very small portion of Lyncourt that goes to North Syracuse Schools across the street from LeMoyne Elementary School, a Syracuse City SD school. That area is a good distance from C-NS High School, which is or may be the biggest high school grade for grade in the state west of Schenectady(about 2200 students in grades 10-12). Pitcher Hill is just SW of the village of North Syracuse in the northern portion of the town of Salina. Cicero is a second ring town, that has had quite a bit of growth and parts of the town in/around Bremerton are actually in the Central Square SD.

I'd say between C-NS and Henninger(the biggest HS in the Syracuse City SD), I'd say to go for C-NS.

However, what may make Henninger a viable option is the Say Yes To Education program with the Syracuse City SD, that offers scholarships to college bound graduates. Here is the valedictorian and salutatorian from 2017: Meet the Henninger HS Valedictorian & Salutatorian! | The Syracuse City School District | Syracuse, NY It is a very diverse school culturally and some may consider that aspect as well. Say Yes info: Home - Say Yes to Education - Syracuse I will also say that the Eastwood area will offer the most walkability out of these options.

What makes F-M appealing is that it is viewed and regarded as arguably a top 5 high school in Upstate NY. So, that may be something to consider.

I'm actually surprised that there weren't any homes in other districts that would fit your budget. East Syracuse-Minoa particularly comes to mind given the possible support your child may(or may not) need.

Anyway, I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, just ask.
Here is the list of participating colleges/universities: Syracuse College Partners - Say Yes to Education - Syracuse

Old 08-17-2017, 03:34 PM

ckhthankgod,

Trying to stay under $120K and still find a 3/2 is difficult.

The Lyncourt house is now pending, so that's out. Good for them though.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:21 PM

These listings are in Onondaga County: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

There may be others in adjacent counties in towns next to Onondaga County as well.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:35 PM

This may help too: https://www.cnyrealtor.com/index.php...me.eq.Westhill)

This is for Onondaga County.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:49 PM

Didn't find anything this past weekend when it comes to a house. Trying to set something up for this coming Saturday and make the 5.5 hour drive there to look at 3 in the Syracuse area and 2 in Seneca Falls. This long distance research and house hunting is insane.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Didn't find anything this past weekend when it comes to a house. Trying to set something up for this coming Saturday and make the 5.5 hour drive there to look at 3 in the Syracuse area and 2 in Seneca Falls. This long distance research and house hunting is insane.
Just curious, but is Seneca Falls one of the only communities where you found homes that fit your budget? I'm only asking because it is a couple of counties away from Syracuse and you are likely to find homes within your budget in adjacent counties. Seneca Falls is actually in its own Micropolitan area and the Rochester CSA(Combined Statistical Area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or