Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:40 PM

9 posts, read 7,502 times

Advertisements

Howdy!

I'll be relocating from Syracuse from Los Angeles in October. I'll actually be in Auburn for a few weeks while I replenish my savings account. I have a job lined up and my younger brother and his family are in Auburn. I'd like to be close to them, but I need a little more diversity in all respects so I've decided on Syracuse.

Anywho, I was wondering if someone could clarify something for me. When I research New York State tenant laws, it states that unless an apartment is rent-controlled or there's a specific statute in the county, all rental deposits must be refundable. That is, of course, considering that no damage is done to a unit.

However, I'm seeing a lot of apartment listings (Craigslist) that state that they'll consider pets with a non-refundable pet deposit. Some mention the ridiculous new trend of asking for pet rent. I'm moving 3,000 miles with my beloved furry friend and I'd like to know what my rights are concerning an apartment. Here in L.A., I've had to literally fight every landlord and building owner to return my deposit under just circumstances. I'd love to not have to go through so much of that drama in upstate NY, so I'm just curious if anyone knows whether or not it's legal to request a non-refundable deposit from a tenant. If that's the law, I guess that'll just limit my prospects....but I'd like to know.

Secondly, does anyone have any recommendations for good cinemas in Syracuse? I see my fair share of blockbusters and mainstream cinema through the year, but I'm hoping to sniff out a place in Syracuse that shows art house features, classics, second-run, or international films. Even a little underground spot would be awesome.

Lastly, does anyone have any recommendations of must-visit places in Syracuse? A little about me, I'll be 30 in December and I can find charm in just about anything. I've lived all over, and L.A. has been home for 9 years. Minneapolis before that, for high-school and grade-school. I love movies. All kinds, but especially cult, horror and foreign films. I love to dance (like boogie, not grind), people-watching, coffee, books, baseball, swimming, fine art, museums, etc. I'll be honest in saying that anyone would assume that I'm a hipster...or as my brother likes to say, a "hippie." Of course I don't find either label fitting, but then again how would I know?

Thanks for reading!

-Edythe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 06:15 PM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
In terms of a cinema: Home

You have Westcott written all over you to be honest: https://westcottsyr.com/org/wna/

Downtown and Franklin Square could also work.

Syracuse has this film festival: filminsyracuse

This theater in the Eastwood neighborhood has some events that you may be interested in: The Palace On James

This may help in terms of refund laws: New York Security Deposit Laws - FindLaw

Hope this helps...

Also, Auburn does have some cultural diversity, a visible arts scene and museums: Schweinfurth

Auburn Public Theater | Performance, Cinema, Education & Community

https://fingerlakesmtf.com

Cayuga Museum – & Case Research Lab

Seward House Museum | One House. Many Stories.

Harriet Tubman Home, Inc. | Home

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-15-2017 at 06:28 PM..

Old 08-15-2017, 06:35 PM

Hi ckhthankgod!

Thanks for the input! Much appreciated! Regarding tenant laws, I may end up just asking potential landlords about it or getting the pamphlet from the link you sent. I don't want to go into anything with assumptions, but I also don't want to be taken advantage of.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarmer28 View Post
Hi ckhthankgod!

Thanks for the input! Much appreciated! Regarding tenant laws, I may end up just asking potential landlords about it or getting the pamphlet from the link you sent. I don't want to go into anything with assumptions, but I also don't want to be taken advantage of.
No problem and I understand.

Do you have an idea in terms of the type of neighborhood or rental you are looking for?

Old 08-16-2017, 05:31 AM

You may be interested in the things listed in this arts directory as well: Syracuse Arts Directory

Old 08-18-2017, 11:08 AM

Hi ckhthankgod,

Thanks for all the information! I'm not familiar with the area and my brother is in Auburn and couldn't give me much of a perspective, so I'm open to just about anything. I realize some apartments are off-campus housing for students, so I'd be looking for something that's a little distance away from the University to avoid those apartments.

I'll be looking for a 2 BR so that I can have a home office for my new job. I like classic apartments with high ceilings and hardwood floors, which Syracuse doesn't seem to lack. Unlike L.A., everything seems to be in a relative distance throughout the city and comparably safe in terms of what I'm used to here, so I'm really open. If I don't find something in Syracuse, I'm also considering Auburn, Weedsport, Liverpool, etc. It seems like most cities are within a 30-min drive from one another.

Thanks!

Old 08-18-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarmer28 View Post
Hi ckhthankgod,

Thanks for all the information! I'm not familiar with the area and my brother is in Auburn and couldn't give me much of a perspective, so I'm open to just about anything. I realize some apartments are off-campus housing for students, so I'd be looking for something that's a little distance away from the University to avoid those apartments.

I'll be looking for a 2 BR so that I can have a home office for my new job. I like classic apartments with high ceilings and hardwood floors, which Syracuse doesn't seem to lack. Unlike L.A., everything seems to be in a relative distance throughout the city and comparably safe in terms of what I'm used to here, so I'm really open. If I don't find something in Syracuse, I'm also considering Auburn, Weedsport, Liverpool, etc. It seems like most cities are within a 30-min drive from one another.

Thanks!
No problem and from what your post states, I'd say to look into apartments in the Franklin Square area just NW of Downtown, as it will have what you are looking for. https://www.onefranklinsquareapartments.com

The Lofts at Franklin Square - Apartment Rental Community | Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC

Syracuse Premier Apartments | Franklin View Terrace

Lakefront Lofts - Apartment Rental Community | Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC

Destiny Arms

There's also a couple of newer apartment buildings in the Park Ave neighborhood just west of Downtown in 538 Erie and the Dietz Lofts that may work.
538 Erie | Experience Modern Living Downtown Syracuse

https://www.dietzlofts.com
That is an area to keep an eye on in the future due to its location and it has seen some development in recent years. Same for the Franklin Square/Inner Harbor area.

This building in the Tipperary Hill neighborhood on the city's West Side(which is closer to Auburn) may also work: St Patrick's Lofts - Apartment Rental Community | Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC

With Westcott, it does get some older undergrad and grad students, but it has a different vibe and it has more home/flat rentals. The condos in the Babcock-Shattuck House would be the exception. Babcock-Shattuck House Restoration | UNPA
https://nccnews.expressions.syr.edu/...syracuse-home/

Not too far away in/neae the East Genesee Business District just east of Downtown are these buildings: Home

Fayette Place – Downtown Syracuse Apartments

Welcome to University Hill!

Even in Auburn, they have these lofts in its Downtown: Logan Park Lofts | Maintenance Free Living | Auburn, NY

There are others as well. So, you should find what you are looking for.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-18-2017 at 12:39 PM..

Old 08-18-2017, 02:00 PM

Thanks much, that gives me a great perspective!

Old 08-18-2017, 02:09 PM

Here is a newer community in the village of Fayetteville, which is a generally walkable community that isn't far from the Manlius Art Cinema in the village of Manlius: Syracuse Premier Apartments | Walnut Creek Townhomes

Also, in the Franklin Square area: Syracuse Premier Apartments | Clinton Street Commons

Another potential place: Dewitt Highland Townhouse Apartments in Syracuse

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-18-2017 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-18-2017, 05:02 PM

Thanks, there seems to be a lot of options!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area