U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 02:01 PM

9 posts, read 4,034 times

Advertisements

Howdy all!

I'm back on this forum and hoping to get some assistance on a slightly different topic.

As a back-track, I'm moving to Syracuse in October from Los Angeles. I'm so excited for the move that I could burst! My younger brother (whom I'm very close with) lives in Auburn with his fiance and my small nephews. I can finally see them grow up, take them sledding, the works!

I'm originally from Minneapolis, so the weather does not bother me. I've also been in L.A. for almost 10-years in one of its roughest neighborhoods (nicknamed "Rape Lake" for decades and they found a body in the lake last month), so believe me....nothing could be worse considering crime, drugs, poverty, disarray, you name it. I have literally seen more dead bodies, used needles, shady cops, and walked along every pee-smelling corner of this city. Parking is impossible, and although there is much to do, I can't afford to enjoy it even working 2 jobs because my rent is over 2/3rds of my income.

Upstate NY charmed the socks off me during my visits and I've secured a good job, so please, kindly keep any negativity to yourself.

Anywho, I was originally looking for help on tenant laws in Syracuse for apartments until I started looking on Zillow for homes to see if it wouldn't be better to just skip apartment searches and buy a property. To my delight, there are several very affordable fixer-upper homes for sale in Syracuse.

So my new post is geared towards homeowners in Syracuse, as I'd be a first-timer and new to the area.

Any pointers you can give me regarding realtors or contractors you like, etc., would be most-appreciated.

Please do not post links, I've already started to do an extensive search online and I'm great at research. I'm also not looking for pointers on certain areas, as it honestly doesn't matter much to me. Anything is better than what I've had to deal with for the past 10 years.

I'm looking for first-hand recommendations of companies that do solid, affordable repairs, realtors who obtain a full history of the property before showing, etc. I'm also interested in knowing who you've chosen for insurance and why. This is especially geared towards those who bank with a union bank - as I do.

My goal is to look for a property I can afford (I have several saved on my Zillow account) and have tests done (radon, asbestos, lead, etc) to ensure that it is habitable regarding toxicity, then see what the requirements are for habitable regarding the structure (any help there would be much appreciated.)

Assuming all was well and I was approved for a loan, I would do most of the interior work myself and contract someone for the exterior renovations. Therefore, if you've had roofing or siding done on your home, I'd love to hear your experiences. If you have awesome insurance that bundles full home and auto, please let me know who you're insured by and why they're awesome.

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 03:51 PM

56,287 posts, read 80,465,056 times
Have you looked into the Land Bank properties?

Old 08-26-2017, 05:37 PM

9 posts, read 4,034 times
Yes, all the homes I'm considering are actually owned by Syracuse Land Bank. They have several that are/have been vacant for over a year, and selling for very cheap. However, most need repairs.

I'm just looking for recommendations on contractors, handymen, and realtors, from people with first-hand experience with whatever they're recommending. Also trying to figure out how affordable exterior work is from these recommendations to help get a better understanding of all the costs involved. With a 20% down-payment, I could be looking at a very very low mortgage - provided the work was done to ensure that it is habitable. I'm interested in knowing the best (and hopefully affordable) means to get that done.

Thanks

Old 10-09-2017, 12:23 PM

175 posts, read 204,376 times
Polarmer, are you still looking for recommendations? I am just seeing this, and I have some insights if you're still looking. But you may have already moved (you said you were moving in October).

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarmer28 View Post
Yes, all the homes I'm considering are actually owned by Syracuse Land Bank. They have several that are/have been vacant for over a year, and selling for very cheap. However, most need repairs.

I'm just looking for recommendations on contractors, handymen, and realtors, from people with first-hand experience with whatever they're recommending. Also trying to figure out how affordable exterior work is from these recommendations to help get a better understanding of all the costs involved. With a 20% down-payment, I could be looking at a very very low mortgage - provided the work was done to ensure that it is habitable. I'm interested in knowing the best (and hopefully affordable) means to get that done.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or