Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 11:13 AM

34 posts, read 26,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Joey A View Post
Don't forget the GREAT Italian food !

I will be back soon !

Can't wait.
Amen to that!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 12:19 AM

60 posts, read 48,427 times
Anyone have any thoughts on the recent real estate trends in Syracuse?

Is the property value about right? Over priced?

Thanks for your thoughts on this !

Old 09-06-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on the recent real estate trends in Syracuse?

Is the property value about right? Over priced?

Thanks for your thoughts on this !

Hi. The Syracuse area is very much a buyer's market with property values below the national average. I attribute this to a stagnant regional economy and higher than average property taxes. These two factors will probably not change anytime soon. Like most other metros, certain areas have higher real estate values than others. Properties in Manlius, Fayetteville, parts of Dewitt, and Camillus are generally priced higher than in Salina, Clay, and many other areas. It's also pricier in some eastern portions of the city (around SU) than in other parts of the city.

Last edited by T.Biddle; 09-06-2017 at 07:59 AM..

Old 09-06-2017, 07:38 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
This should give you some idea: Onondaga County Home Sales | Real Estate News -

Old 09-06-2017, 07:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I am so glad to hear the op say this, I agree...however...all these years I
have only driven thru Albany...odd of me to never stop in on my way to
New England destinies.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:52 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Albany's core (or, what's left of it) developed on a colonial Dutch model. That's very distinct in urban form from the post-Revolutionary Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse that started over a century later.

Presence of the state capital, and the tri-polar metro area with more industry historically in the other two (Schenectady and Troy) make differences too.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:35 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Wanted to also say I appreciate the validation here.

I grew up in the Albany/Schenectady/Troy area...its a great area as well. I would rank it second to Syracuse. But, I don't like all the state workers and the NYC riff raft in the Capital District. The people in this area are very affable for the most part, but not like the people in Western NY. Win for Syracuse.

Rochester has a lot going for it. But, just seems like a boring area. Nothing dynamic seems to be going on in Rochester.

Buffalo is solid, but its too big. Big equals more crime. Buffalo seems to be a stressed out city for the most part.

I would rank Syracuse 1, Albany area 2, Buffalo 3, and Rochester 4...for the Upstate NY scene.
That's funny, as I rank them almost the opposite.

1. Rochester
2. Albany
3. Buffalo
4. Syracuse

Rochester I ranked #1 because it seems to have most of the good of NJ with little of the bad. It looks a lot like the the NJ suburbs but without the crowds, expensive housing, traffic, or overdevelopment. Albany is #2 because you truly can't beat that location- near 3 world class cities without the price or the crowds. Also, its the closest of the 3 to the big wilderness areas. The culture of the Hudson Valley is pretty unique too.

I'd give a slight advantage to Buffalo over SYR because there's more to do there. Pro sports and big name concerts. Close to Toronto, a city I recently went to for a few days and it was pretty massive and NYC-light. But Bufflo does have some ugly areas too and otherwise it would be a bigger winner, as to me Syracuse just lacks the bigger city amenities.

All that withstanding, I think you can do a lot worse than any of the major Upstate metros.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Albany's core (or, what's left of it) developed on a colonial Dutch model. That's very distinct in urban form from the post-Revolutionary Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse that started over a century later.

Presence of the state capital, and the tri-polar metro area with more industry historically in the other two (Schenectady and Troy) make differences too.
Yes, this distinction is especially evident when compared to Buffalo's Midwestern grid-style layout.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:11 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

1. Rochester
2. Albany
3. Buffalo
4. Syracuse

Rochester I ranked #1 because it seems to have most of the good of NJ with little of the bad. It looks a lot like the the NJ suburbs but without the crowds, expensive housing, traffic, or overdevelopment. Albany is #2 because you truly can't beat that location- near 3 world class cities without the price or the crowds. Also, its the closest of the 3 to the big wilderness areas. The culture of the Hudson Valley is pretty unique too.

I'd give a slight advantage to Buffalo over SYR because there's more to do there. Pro sports and big name concerts. Close to Toronto, a city I recently went to for a few days and it was pretty massive and NYC-light. But Bufflo does have some ugly areas too and otherwise it would be a bigger winner, as to me Syracuse just lacks the bigger city amenities.

All that withstanding, I think you can do a lot worse than any of the major Upstate metros.
I agree with that last sentence...

What may make Syracuse unique in comparison is its proximity to the Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, the 1000 Islands and the Adirondacks. All are less than 100 miles away. Not that the other areas don't have relatively quick access to these places, but if a person likes outdoor amenities, it has multiple options within a short drive.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

1. Rochester
2. Albany
3. Buffalo
4. Syracuse

I cannot argue with you on these. You list some good reasons and we all differ on our likes and perceptions. I had them ranked: Syracuse, Albany, Rochester, and Buffalo. I love Syracuse for its location/scenery and smaller town charm. The fact that I grew up there is also factors in I really like all these cities ALOT. To me, Albany is in a great location because the Adirondacks, Catskills, Lake George, etc. are all close by. I know its relatively close proximity to Boston, NYC and Montreal would have a high allure to many.

During a recent visit to Buffalo I could not believe how much larger it looked than Syracuse. It's a little difficult for me to compare Syracuse to Buffalo as Buffalo looked massive in comparison. Rochester also looked noticeably larger than Syracuse but not as much as Buffalo did.

Last edited by T.Biddle; 09-06-2017 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area