U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2017, 05:47 AM

27 posts, read 14,495 times

Advertisements

Hi People,

I'm a British guy who has lived in California, Nevada, Arizona, Ohio and in Maine. Right now im back home in Scotland, but I'm considering moving back to the US. I just wondered if anyone would be kind enough to give me some information on what Syracuse and it's surrounding areas offer?

I really do love residential neighborhoods, with detatched houses, nice yards, and a real sense of community. I also love a vibrant downtown area with bars and restaurants, and generally just an area where people do their thing. And finally, in my head I have pictured are lovelly neighborhood that looks lovely in the summer months, and I could sit in my yard with a fire, listening to crickets, frogs, and even watching some fire-flies, and in the winter months, a neighborhood that looks beautiful with all the snow and homes decorated with Christmas lights and decorations - this is definitley the dream.

Is there anywhere that matches what I imagine?

Thanks,
J0hnnyMac.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 06:36 AM

56,676 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Just curious, but before I give a suggestion, what about schools? I ask given your situation.

What about your budget? What about employment?

Old 11-12-2017, 08:30 PM

Just to throw a place out there, but you may like the village of Liverpool. I say that due to Onondaga Lake Park and it is a walkable community that can get quite busy in its "Downtown".

Onondaga Lake Park Onondaga County Parks

Greater Liverpool Chamber
Village of Liverpool - Village of Liverpool

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-12-2017 at 08:38 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 AM

177 posts, read 207,153 times
This area for sure offers all of those things you envision. In late spring/summer/early fall it is simply one of the most beautiful places to live. The finger lakes provide some amazing views, and Syracuse has some great smaller villages in surrounding areas with vibrant walkable downtown areas with smaller bars, restaurants and gathering places. If that interests you, look to villages like Skaneateles (most expensive but nicest), Cazenovia, Baldwinsvile (I am biased, as I live in Bville and love it) and Liverpool. The houses in the villages usually fall into two categories - 1) larger homes on the main street with decent sized yards that we probably owned by some of the first to settle in the area (note: these homes rarely come on the market), and 2) smaller homes with postage stamp yards. Outside of each of these areas, though, are nice residential developments (there are too many to mention).

Syracuse proper offers a great vibrant downtown area itself. Armory square has a plethora of bars, restaurants, music venues and other things to do.

As for snowy months, ice skating/hockey, ice fishing, skiing and snowmobiling are big draws. If you want to know what it looks like in the winter, watch Its a Wonderful Life. Bedford Falls is said to be based on Seneca Falls, but it could be any of the villages mentioned above (except maybe Liverpool). The snow and the xmas decorations really make you feel great, and it is as picturesque as you probably think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hnnyMac View Post
Hi People,

I'm a British guy who has lived in California, Nevada, Arizona, Ohio and in Maine. Right now im back home in Scotland, but I'm considering moving back to the US. I just wondered if anyone would be kind enough to give me some information on what Syracuse and it's surrounding areas offer?

I really do love residential neighborhoods, with detatched houses, nice yards, and a real sense of community. I also love a vibrant downtown area with bars and restaurants, and generally just an area where people do their thing. And finally, in my head I have pictured are lovelly neighborhood that looks lovely in the summer months, and I could sit in my yard with a fire, listening to crickets, frogs, and even watching some fire-flies, and in the winter months, a neighborhood that looks beautiful with all the snow and homes decorated with Christmas lights and decorations - this is definitley the dream.

Is there anywhere that matches what I imagine?

Thanks,
J0hnnyMac.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:53 AM

27 posts, read 14,495 times
Hey JonTheDream,

Thanks for your detailed info. I will be checking those places out for sure. I dont need a huge house, just a split level with 3 bedrooms and a nice yard and ill be happy!

Cheers,
J0hnnyMac.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hnnyMac View Post
Hey JonTheDream,

Thanks for your detailed info. I will be checking those places out for sure. I dont need a huge house, just a split level with 3 bedrooms and a nice yard and ill be happy!

Cheers,
J0hnnyMac.
What about employment and schools?

Villages such as Manlius, Fayetteville and maybe even Marcellus(an often overlooked place) may be worth a look as well. Maybe even the village of Camillus could be another one to consider.

In terms of Marcellus, what makes it pretty viable option is its proximity to the village of Skaneateles, which has a nice Downtown: Home
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9458...7i13312!8i6656

It also isn't too far from Auburn, which has had some revitalization in its Downtown: Auburn Downtown BID
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9306...7i13312!8i6656

This is while Marcellus itself has a walkable village and is also minutes from Syracuse as well. Village of Marcellus - Home
Town of Marcellus
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9824...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-14-2017 at 07:08 AM..

Old 11-30-2017, 08:34 AM

169 posts, read 130,518 times
syracuse use offers lots of shops and I mall with levels of stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or