U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,386 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I plan on buying a home in Syracuse. Im moving from New Jersey. What is the Northside like as far as crime, people, and demographics? I'm African American and Syracuse seems kind of segregated from what I hear. Is that something i should worry about? The Northside seems like it might be the most diverse. Also, what are some other decent neighborhoods for home ownership that are diverse?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 06:58 AM

63,256 posts, read 88,759,572 times
Where would you be working? I ask because that may help determine where to look.

Black people live all over the city and even the suburbs, in varying degrees.

In the city, I personally suggest the East Side due to being the generally nicest and most affluent side of town(outside of what I call the East Fayette strip up to Croly), with quite a few middle class Black residents. As I mentioned in a couple of threads, the 13224 zip code on that side of town has a median household income around/near the national and state figures and is about 35-38% Black. 13224 Zip Code - USA.com™
13224 Zip Code Historical Race Data - USA.com™
13224 Zip Code Income and Careers - USA.com™
13224 Zip Code Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.com™

This means that this zip code is the (perhaps solidly)middle class zip code with the highest Black percentage in Upstate NY/outside of the NYC area(12209 in Albany is next in Black percentage, but has a higher Black MHHI). The northern portion of the zip code is predominantly Black and is generally working/lower middle to solidly middle class. I believe all but one census block group in the zip code is at least 10% Black and that one is barely under 10%.

With the North Side, I would look around/north of Grant Boulevard and around/east of Schiller Park. This continues into the generally solid Eastwood neighborhood in the NE corner of the city and makes up about 11% of the city’s population.

South Side, I would look in the Valley(especially south of Seneca Turnpike), Elmwood around Elmwood Park/up the hill towards Onondaga Hill and the Strathmore/Winkworth area(outer SW).

West Side, maybe right on Park Avenue just behind Automobile Row/West Genesee Street and just west of Downtown. Tipperary Hill and parts of the West End could work as well.

Again, this is contingent on where you work and what you are looking for. You can also view the thread in the general section of the NY State forum as well.

BTW-Where in N.J. are you coming from?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-26-2017 at 07:59 AM..

Old 11-26-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where would you be working? I ask because that may help determine where to look.

In the city, I personally suggest the East Side due to being the generally nicest and most affluent side of town(outside of what I call the East Fayette strip up to Croly), with quite a few middle class Black residents. As I mentioned in a couple of threads, the 13224 zip code on that side of town has a median household income around/near the national and state figures and is about 35-38% Black. 13224 Zip Code - USA.com™

This means that this zip code is the (perhaps solidly)middle class zip code with the highest Black percentage in Upstate NY/outside of the NYC area(12209 in Albany is next in Black percentage, but has a higher Black MHHI). The northern portion of the zip code is predominantly Black and is generally working/lower middle to solidly middle class. I believe all but one census block group in the zip code is at least 10% Black and that one is barely under 10%.

With the North Side, I would look around/north of Grant Boulevard and around/east of Schiller Park. This continues into the generally solid Eastwood neighborhood in the NE corner of the city and makes up about 11% of the city’s population.

South Side, I would look in the Valley(especially south of Seneca Turnpike), Elmwood around Elmwood Park/up the hill towards Onondaga Hill and the Strathmore/Winkworth area(outer SW).

West Side, maybe right on Park Avenue just behind Automobile Row/West Genesee Street and just west of Downtown. Tipperary Hill and parts of the West End could work as well.

Again, this is contingent on where you work and what you are looking for. You can also view the thread in the general section of the NY State forum as well.

Just to add to this in regards to the East Side, this zip code covers an outer portion of that side of town into the town of DeWitt(Jamesville-DeWitt Schools): 13214 Zip Code - USA.com™
13214 Zip Code Historical Race Data - USA.com™ (Black percentage near national percentage)
13214 Zip Code Income and Careers - USA.com™
13214 Zip Code Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.com™

Also, the far southern end of 13224 is also in the Jamesville-DeWitt SD.

Another East Side zip, which also has a lot of off campus students, but also has quite a few middle class families in the southern portion and Syracuse University, as well as including the Fayette Strip in the far northern end. Hence, the skewed income figures: 13210 Zip Code - USA.com™
13210 Zip Code Historical Race Data - USA.com™
13210 Zip Code Income and Careers - USA.com™
13210 Zip Code Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.com™
This zip includes this neighborhood(south of East Genesee Street): https://westcottsyr.com/org/wna/

Another neighborhood(I’d look from east of Jamesville Ave, around Comstock Ave. up to SU’s South Campus): OCNA - Outer Comstock Neighborhood Association (OCNA) - Syracuse, New York A census tract that covers an area east of Comstock up to South Campus: Census Tract 005601 in Onondaga County, New York

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-26-2017 at 09:04 AM..

Old 11-27-2017, 09:40 PM

174 posts, read 154,458 times
Syracuse is nice, full of diversity, and it's not segregated. I hope you come over to Syracuse and go to destiny USA mall. You'd love how huge the mall is.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:15 PM

201 posts, read 233,131 times
Except for this timely article:

Syracuse named one of the 'worst cities for black Americans' to live | syracuse.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamika929 View Post
Syracuse is nice, full of diversity, and it's not segregated. I hope you come over to Syracuse and go to destiny USA mall. You'd love how huge the mall is.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthedream View Post
If I may be brutally honest, if you look at general disparities, if you look at a major or mid major city/metro in the United States without a Black/White disparity and we have to ask why. To put this into perspective, there was Per Capita income gap ranking for the top 100 metros and the best areas in terms of a smaller gap were areas with a pretty strong military presence, with the then Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown NY metro having the smallest gaps between Whites and people of color: https://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/...e=&CPIorderBy=

This also doesn’t mean that there are Black city residents that are doing fine or considers the impact of refugees that don’t come with much economically. That last point is key in regards to the side of town the OP mentioned, as a good portion of the inner North Side’s Black population is made up of African refugees.

An irony with this article is that Strathmore(about 25% Black), South Valley(about 20-25% Black), Winkworth and Tipp Hill are all west of I-81 and are all middle class areas within city limits. So, it isn’t as simple as east of I-81 and west of I-81. I’ve already mentioned information east of I-81.

Another irony is that in spite of issues that come with urban schools, Syracuse has 2 predominantly Black high schools with grad rates around or above 90%(Syracuse Academy of Science, a charter HS 93% grad rate and the Institute of Technology at Central High, a magnet school 89 or 90% grad rate). In this same vein, the Black and White grad rate in the SCSD was the same at room for improvement 64% the past year and doesn’t factor in the Academy of Science rate or that of city students that go the private school route. https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000056174
https://data.nysed.gov/gradrate.php?...d=800000056174

https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040860
https://data.nysed.gov/gradrate.php?...d=800000040860

https://data.nysed.gov/gradrate.php?...d=800000040902

This doesn’t get into other aspects that have been mentioned in other threads.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-28-2017 at 04:36 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

In regards to the areas of the North Side mentioned above, these are the areas I am referring to: Court-Woodlawn Task Force: Click on Map of our Court-Woodlawn area
Court-Woodlawn Task Force: Click Walkable Court Woodlawn - Butternut Circle

SEDGWICK FARM NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

There’s also the northern half/top of the hill of this neighborhood as well: http://www.syracuse.ny.us/uploadedFi...ing%20Plan.pdf
Census Block Group 001701-1 in Onondaga County, New York

There is also this somewhat gentrified neighborhood as well: Hawley-Green Neighbors

Section information: 7 Northside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area