U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2017, 11:42 AM

3 posts, read 1,605 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of buying my first home for me and my son. I've lived in the Orchard Street neighborhood in Auburn for close to 10 years and love the neighborhood. The schools are fine, and it's quiet and affordable with a lot of parks nearby. I've been looking mostly in this same neighborhood for our next home. Nobody can argue with paying $60,000 for a turnkey home.

In my search, I've started to look in the western suburbs of Syracuse as well, because I'm looking for a place to stay for a few decades and I'll probably be looking to change jobs well before then. There aren't many opportunities in my very specific line of work in the Auburn area.

Solvay seems very similar at first glance to the blue collar neighborhood I've grown to love. Crime levels are similar, school ratings are similar. But how does it actually compare to Auburn, specifically the schools? I see a lot of posts that talk about how bad it is, but a lot of people here also say the exact same things about Auburn. As a working class single dad, I don't care to go $125000 in debt on a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 01:50 PM

59,381 posts, read 84,213,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChEMac View Post
I am in the process of buying my first home for me and my son. I've lived in the Orchard Street neighborhood in Auburn for close to 10 years and love the neighborhood. The schools are fine, and it's quiet and affordable with a lot of parks nearby. I've been looking mostly in this same neighborhood for our next home. Nobody can argue with paying $60,000 for a turnkey home.

In my search, I've started to look in the western suburbs of Syracuse as well, because I'm looking for a place to stay for a few decades and I'll probably be looking to change jobs well before then. There aren't many opportunities in my very specific line of work in the Auburn area.

Solvay seems very similar at first glance to the blue collar neighborhood I've grown to love. Crime levels are similar, school ratings are similar. But how does it actually compare to Auburn, specifically the schools? I see a lot of posts that talk about how bad it is, but a lot of people here also say the exact same things about Auburn. As a working class single dad, I don't care to go $125000 in debt on a house.
Solvay is similar, but smaller. It has lower electric costs, but watch property taxes, as it essentially balances things out. It does have some very nice houses in the Piercefield area of the village and the portion of the village closer to Fairmount is a nice, solid area. Same for the little part south of West Genesee Street around Draper near Syracuse’s Tipp Hill neighborhood/Westcott Resevoir.

Schools are similar as well and people may not realize that students from Lyncourt go to Solvay HS for high school. That district goes up to only 8th grade.

Another thing is that you could find something within that budget in villages like Marcellus, Camillus, Jordan & Elbridge and Baldwinsville. All are west/NW of Syracuse and could be possibilities as well.

Hope this helps...

Old 12-03-2017, 04:14 PM

OP, just curious, but are you open to anywhere in the immediate/Greater Syracuse area or are you looking specifically in the western suburbs?

Old 12-03-2017, 07:34 PM

Thanks, that was very helpful.

I currently work in Weedsport, so I'm looking west of Syracuse. I would consider in the western part of the city, as long as the schools are acceptable and the neighborhood is quiet. I've centered my search mostly in Auburn because I'm priced out of most suburbs, though I'd ideally like to get closer to the city.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that was very helpful.

I currently work in Weedsport, so I'm looking west of Syracuse. I would consider in the western part of the city, as long as the schools are acceptable and the neighborhood is quiet. I've centered my search mostly in Auburn because I'm priced out of most suburbs, though I'd ideally like to get closer to the city.
If your budget is $125,000, you may be surprised by what you can get in the western suburbs. I’m thinking of older, but solid areas like Fairmount(West Genesee SD), Lakeland(Solvay SD) and maybe even select areas of Westvale that are in either the Westhill or West Genesee SD(around Grand Ave/Fay Road area). There are parts of the town of Onondaga near those 2 roads in both of those roads, as well as Onondaga Boulevard that may have something as well.

That latter area isn’t too far from Western Lights Plaza(along Onondaga Boulevard) or even Westvale Plaza in Solvay(on West Genesee Street). Both of the “West” school districts are held in higher regard and perform better academically than Solvay, but again, I wouldn’t call Solvay a “bad” SD either.

Depending on age and if you could get into the Syracuse Academy of Science Jr/Sr High(a charter school) or ITC High(a magnet HS), perhaps a West Side neighborhood like Tipperary Hill or the West End/Far Westside streets closer to West Genesee Street, Hazard Branch library, etc. could work as well. Same if you are open to or could swing Catholic schools like All Saints Elementary in Tipperary Hill and then Bishop Ludden for Jr/Sr High just west of the city on Fay Road.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:58 PM

I think I was confusing, I'd rather not spend $125,000. I'm sure I can find what I want for under $70,000 in Auburn or the rest of Cayuga County and it's very close to where I work. But I would like to consider places closer to the city as well, for career options. I prefer to live in cities and if I didn't have a kid just starting out in public school, I'd strongly consider moving into the city. Unfortunately, Catholic school isn't a very good option for us as I'm a divorced, gay parent.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I think I was confusing, I'd rather not spend $125,000. I'm sure I can find what I want for under $70,000 in Auburn or the rest of Cayuga County and it's very close to where I work. But I would like to consider places closer to the city as well, for career options. I prefer to live in cities and if I didn't have a kid just starting out in public school, I'd strongly consider moving into the city. Unfortunately, Catholic school isn't a very good option for us as I'm a divorced, gay parent.
Given that budget, besides maybe Solvay, perhaps the older suburban communities I mentioned earlier would be the way to go in terms of western suburbs. If you were open to other suburban areas, other older suburbs like the Lyncourt(its own SD as previously mentioned), Mattydale(North Syracuse SD) and Galeville(Liverpool SD) CDP’s in the town of Salina, as well as Nedrow(Onondaga Central SD) may have a few homes within your budget. Perhaps a few in the East Syracuse-Minos SD as well.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Given that budget, besides maybe Solvay, perhaps the older suburban communities I mentioned earlier would be the way to go in terms of western suburbs. If you were open to other suburban areas, other older suburbs like the Lyncourt(its own SD as previously mentioned), Mattydale(North Syracuse SD) and Galeville(Liverpool SD) CDP’s in the town of Salina, as well as Nedrow(Onondaga Central SD) may have a few homes within your budget. Perhaps a few in the East Syracuse-Minoa SD as well.
Another area, if there homes available, that may work is the Seneca Knolls area of the town of Van Buren(Baldwinsville SD).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area