U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-27-2008, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 21,153 times
Default Local Income Tax?

Have searched all over the place and can't find the local income tax rate for Syracuse area. Anyone knows what it is?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 06:08 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,261,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat400 View Post
Have searched all over the place and can't find the local income tax rate for Syracuse area. Anyone knows what it is?
I don't believe there is a local income tax, but there sure is a State Income Tax. Here are the brackets (see link):

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/l...axrate_NY.html

The sales tax rate in Onondaga County is 8 %:

Sales Tax Rate % for NY State (http://www.photobooksonline.com/books/salestax.html - broken link)

I think the break down is 4% state, plus 4% county = 8%. I might be off on this though.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:24 AM

3 posts, read 21,153 times
Thanks for the info. Uhmm, so I guess employeers only deduct fed and state taxes and you pay nothing to the city. And this applies to all suburbs, correct?

I got a job offer from LM so I am considering relocating from Columbus, OH (where local income tax is 2%). I've been reading some of the posts here, very helpful, thanks for the info. Need to figure out where I want to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I don't believe there is a local income tax, but there sure is a State Income Tax. Here are the brackets (see link):

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/l...axrate_NY.html

The sales tax rate in Onondaga County is 8 %:

Sales Tax Rate % for NY State (http://www.photobooksonline.com/books/salestax.html - broken link)

I think the break down is 4% state, plus 4% county = 8%. I might be off on this though.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:20 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,261,177 times
I understand now why you are concerned about a City or County Income Tax, the City of New York has one. The City of New York includes the Boroughs of Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island and Queens. See attached rates:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/pdf.../pit_rates.pdf

I know for a fact that Syracuse and Onondaga County do NOT have a local income tax, so no worries.

To assit you with selecting a location in the Syracuse/CNY region, I have cut and paste the following links that I provided others considering relocating to Syracuse and CNY on this forum. I hope it helps.

To start, I thought you might like a summary of Syracuse from wikipedia.org. It provides pictures, history, economy, demographics, and other links, including a number of Syracuse suburbs and recent events. Good luck with your move from California, I live in Florida and I get nostalgic for (Syracuse) Central New York many times.

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CNY is getting serious about enticing people to relocate or return to CNY. Local agencies have started a successful marketing campaign to back it up, its called "CreativeCoreNY that emphasizes the transition to a knowledge based economy (see attached).

New York's Creative Core

The other web-site is essentialnyjob.com that lists of over 12,000 unfilled positions (see attached)

Central New York Jobs

There is an effort to intergrate the SU campus with downtown through a connective corridor. I believe it is in the design stages of development. If you are interested in living downtown or adjacent to the SU campus, this might be of interst to you. Here is there web-site. As an urban planner, I find this to be very exciting.

Connective Corridor

To give you an idea of of the surrounding area, my family is from Clay, NY which is one of the northern suburbs of Syracuse and rapidly growing (see attached).

Clay, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is also Cicero and Lysander to the immediate east and west Clay respectively, both rapidly growing.

Cicero, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lysander, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Closer to the Syracuse University is the Towns of Dewitt and Manlius.

DeWitt, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Manlius (town), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also have relatives in Camillus which is west of the City of Syracuse. You may want to keep your eyes out for a brand new lifestyle center called Township 5 that will include, retail, office, residential, hotel, and theatres (see attached).

Camillus (town), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cameron Group, LLC - Township 5 (http://www.cameronllc.com/PropertyDisplay.aspx?id=1018 - broken link)

You may also want to consider the Town of Onondaga, which is south/soutwest of the City and has a pop of approximately 20,000 people. There is a major community college called (appropriately) Onondaga Community College and it is growing. I understand that a major mixed use (residential/Office/retail) is about to break ground across the street from the college with approximately 250 new homes.

Onondaga, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are a whole host of villages that surround the City that you may like as well, including Baldwinsville, Skaneatelas, Fayetteville, Liverpool, Cazenovia and North Syracuse that are worth looking into.

Baldwinsville, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Skaneateles (village), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fayetteville, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liverpool, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Liverpool is in the Town of Clay)

Cazenovia (village), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Village is split between Town's of Cicero and Clay)

I live in Florida, but as a planner I am very excited about the transition in the Central New York economy from a rust belt community dependent on heavy manufacturing to a knowledge based economy focused on research, development, aerospace, academics, medical and most importantly environmental technology, i.e. the Center of Excellence (under construction) downtown near SU. You may also hear about destiny usa, a commercial mixed-use shopping/entertainment/research develoment that has been heavily debated over the years.

Syracuse Center of Excellence - Syracuse Center of Excellence

Destiny USA

I thought you might be interested in checking out Armory Square, Hanover Square, Franklin Square, Marshall Square, Westcott, and Eastwood for urban living and entertainment...

Armory Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hanover Square, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Franklin Square, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marshall Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eastwood, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is even a Little Italy and a Tipporary Hill ...

Little Italy, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tipperary Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You may want to check out the following cultural amenities...

Syracuse Symphony Orchestra

Rosamond Gifford Zoo

Syracuse Stage - The Premier Professional Theatre of Central New York www.SyracuseStage.org

Welcome to Syracuse Opera

Museum Information - Milton J. Rubenstein Museum of Science &amp Technology

Welcome to the Everson Museum of Art

Well, that should get you started. Good luck on your move and future plans.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 7,605 times
Is there a local tax in Queens

Old 09-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 7 days ago)

30,079 posts, read 34,575,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rechan View Post
Is there a local tax in Queens
I think so.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area