U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:34 AM

832 posts, read 958,277 times

Advertisements

I will be retiring in a couple of years and I am anxious to get out of Texas (and all it's backwards conservative thinking - i.e. evolution isn't real, abstinence is the only contraceptive, etc) and move to someplace with four seasons. The fingerlakes region is one area I'm looking at. I like fishing, golf, skiing (xcountry and downhill), I still play hockey, like good restaurants, and enjoy water. I'm looking for someplace on water with a little land, but close enough to a fair sized city (50,000?) that I can enjoy movies and dining. I have never visited the fingerlakes area so I'm open to all suggestions of towns and lakes to investigate. And for comparison purposes, I can spend up to $375K for a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:38 AM

405 posts, read 1,269,538 times
You may wish to post Finger Lakes queries inthe general New York Forum, you may get more responses. We moved up to the Syracuse area upon retirement and are quite content. The entire central New York area is quite beautiful, with very reasonable real estate prices. You may have to look long and hard for prime waterfront for $375k, but that amount will buy a very nice place close to water, with great views as well. Good luck in your search.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:31 AM

5,384 posts, read 9,799,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
You may wish to post Finger Lakes queries inthe general New York Forum, you may get more responses. We moved up to the Syracuse area upon retirement and are quite content. The entire central New York area is quite beautiful, with very reasonable real estate prices. You may have to look long and hard for prime waterfront for $375k, but that amount will buy a very nice place close to water, with great views as well. Good luck in your search.
I would post this in Rochester forum actually... but you might like Canandaigua...(about 35-40 min from Rochester)

Old 03-28-2008, 02:05 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,189,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I would post this in Rochester forum actually... but you might like Canandaigua...(about 35-40 min from Rochester)
The Syracuse forum is fine too. The Finger Lake Region encompasses a large area from Rochester to Syracuse.

skbs, there are actually two Finger Lakes located within Onondaga County (Syracuse's county). No Finger Lakes are even in Monroe County (Rochester's County).

TerryDactyls, you should definitely check out the Skaneateles, NY area. It is quaint little town on the water located in the eastern Finger Lakes region.

A few pictures I took of Skaneateles in another thread:
Pictures of Skaneateles, NY- Finger Lake town just west of Syracuse

Old 03-28-2008, 05:27 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,799,381 times
skbs, there are actually two Finger Lakes located within Onondaga County (Syracuse's county). No Finger Lakes are even in Monroe County (Rochester's County).

It was only a suggestion, especially since I think Canandaigua is such a nice area- and only 35-40 minutes from Rochester. (25 min from me in Penfield) MANY Rochesterians dine and shop there- Wegmans has set up a culinary institute there that a lot of people I know go to take classes. Hemlock and Honeoye Lakes are also about 40 minutes from Rochester- tops- Honeyoe is a really nice town! Family friends live there and commute to work in the city of Rochester. All are quaint and near victor (Rochester's #1 Mall is located there- top notch stores and dining for a change of pace) But, Honeoye and Hemlock are on the less expensive side and a lot of Rochesterians hunt there.

I would also look at Seneca Lake (Geneva)... they have a fantastic wine tour too... almost an hour from Rochester

Last edited by skbs; 03-28-2008 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-31-2008, 05:30 AM

142 posts, read 725,123 times
Terry,
I live and work in Skaneateles and hopefully can answer any questions you might have about the area. I've sent you a pm with more information about Skaneateles.
Joanne

Old 03-31-2008, 03:23 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,842,448 times
Ithaca, NY. Great for retirees since it's near a large university, so you take advantage of their cultural events. On Cayuga lake: fishing and boating. Skiing would be a drive, but doable for a day trip.

And believe me, they believe in evolution there.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:13 PM

97 posts, read 381,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Ithaca, NY. Great for retirees since it's near a large university, so you take advantage of their cultural events. On Cayuga lake: fishing and boating. Skiing would be a drive, but doable for a day trip.

And believe me, they believe in evolution there.

Ithaca is a great place to be, so is Skaneateles. The former is a university town, very left-leaning. Cornell University is there, as is Ithaca College, which gives the place a nice collegiate feel. Last time I was there it was summer and it was sunny with a great view of the lake. Winter can be a different story, but I like the snow.

Skaneateles I would say is less diverse and very Republican, though not the kind of conservative you're talking about. My grandfather lives there and we visit often, and he comes in to Syracuse to visit as well. Ithaca is a bit further from a big city.

I would say Skaneateles is a resort town, and it has a very large contingent of retirees. The town is very safe and friendly, and it has all the necessary amenities: grocery store, park, a (brand new) fitness center with a pool, tennis courts. It has a small-town but upper-class feel and a well-frequented main street with restaurants and stores.

I don't have much of an idea of housing prices, but I don't think $375k would be a problem, unless you're looking to be right on the water.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:26 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,842,448 times
Ithaca has all the "city" amenities: movies, a mall, great restaurants, etc.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:40 PM

97 posts, read 381,694 times
My feeling is that Ithaca has more hippie-type projects going on: food co-ops, activism, organic farms, book readings, hybrid cars and the like (all stuff I like).

In that vein, if you head to Skaneateles check out http://www.creeksidebooks.com, they have a great selection of books plus lunch, tea and coffee, and a nice place to sit and relax. It's the type of place I'd expect to find in Ithaca or Syracuse, only it's in Skaneateles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area