U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2018, 08:02 AM
 
59,333 posts, read 84,129,768 times
Reputation: 13032

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicus View Post
Where would you buy ???? I have about 200k (low end) to 400k (high end) to spend. But, its just me, so don't really need a big house, just want a dynamic area. I like Dewitt and Fayettville (less crime), but I am open to Camillus (probably the best suburb outside of Dewitt and Fayettville). I think Sedgwick and Strathmore are too ghetto (not trying to be mean, but that I was I see, and have experienced so far in these area). Same with University area, just too ghetto and college kids drinking on the porch. SMH. Silly rabbits spend all that money to go to school and drink it away.


I would appreciate all feedback on this !


Thanks !
I wouldn't say that about these 2 areas at all. You may have some areas not too far away that are iffy(more so Strathmore than Sedgwick), but I wouldn't call those neighborhoods "ghetto" at all.

Also, here are some homes for sale in the Scottholm area: https://www.cnyrealtor.com/index.php...SC&row=92&pos=

https://www.cnyrealtor.com/index.php...C&row=100&pos=

https://www.cnyrealtor.com/index.php...SC&row=88&pos=

https://www.cnyrealtor.com/index.php...SC&row=72&pos=

So, if you are still interested, there are homes available...There's also Berkeley Park not too far from Syracuse University, which has an old money look/feel to it: Berkeley Park

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0312...7i13312!8i6656

You also have what I call "hidden areas" in parts of the city like this area of the South Valley(the Valley section, south of Seneca Turnpike): https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9938...7i13312!8i6656

or this portion of the Court-Woodlawn neighborhood, an outer North Side neighborhood with a high owner occupied rate: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0759...7i13312!8i6656
Court-Woodlawn Task Force: Click on Map of our Court-Woodlawn area (site needs to be updated)
Court-Woodlawn Task Force

or this sub neighborhood(Arlington) in the SE portion of the Eastwood neighborhood: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0664...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.eastwoodneighbor.com/

So, there are more areas within the city that would/could be viable that people may not realize or consider.

As for other suburbs/towns, I'd say that Onondaga Hill, Radisson(Baldwinsville SD), parts of Westvale, parts of Marcellus, Skaneateles, Cazenovia, parts of the Chittenango area, some of the outer areas of the Northern suburbs(Liverpool, Cicero-North Syracuse and Brewerton portion of the Central Square SD), among some others, are also quite nice.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-09-2018 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2018, 08:34 AM
 
59,333 posts, read 84,129,768 times
Reputation: 13032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wouldn't say that about these 2 areas at all. You may have some areas not too far away that are iffy(more so Strathmore than Sedgwick), but I wouldn't call those neighborhoods "ghetto" at all.

Also, here are some homes for sale in the Scottholm area: https://www.cnyrealtor.com/index.php...SC&row=92&pos=

https://www.cnyrealtor.com/index.php...C&row=100&pos=

https://www.cnyrealtor.com/index.php...SC&row=88&pos=

https://www.cnyrealtor.com/index.php...SC&row=72&pos=

So, if you are still interested, there are homes available...There's also Berkeley Park not too far from Syracuse University, which has an old money look/feel to it: Berkeley Park

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0312...7i13312!8i6656

You also have what I call "hidden areas" in parts of the city like this area of the South Valley(the Valley section, south of Seneca Turnpike): https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9938...7i13312!8i6656

or this portion of the Court-Woodlawn neighborhood, an outer North Side neighborhood with a high owner occupied rate: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0759...7i13312!8i6656
Court-Woodlawn Task Force: Click on Map of our Court-Woodlawn area (site needs to be updated)
Court-Woodlawn Task Force

or this sub neighborhood(Arlington) in the SE portion of the Eastwood neighborhood: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0664...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.eastwoodneighbor.com/

So, there are more areas within the city that would/could be viable that people may not realize or consider.

As for other suburbs/towns, I'd say that Onondaga Hill, Radisson(Baldwinsville SD), parts of Westvale, parts of Marcellus, Skaneateles, Cazenovia, parts of the Chittenango area, some of the outer areas of the Northern suburbs(Liverpool, Cicero-North Syracuse and Brewerton portion of the Central Square SD), among some others, are also quite nice.
Also, in terms of a suburban hidden gem in terms of a neighborhood, the Piercefield area of the village of Solvay is a nice area in what is viewed as a more urban, blue collar suburban community: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0514...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 10:40 AM
 
59,333 posts, read 84,129,768 times
Reputation: 13032
For those not familiar with the areas in the title, here are some street views...

Strathmore: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0227...6!9m2!1b1!2i38

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0316...6!9m2!1b1!2i38

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0211...6!9m2!1b1!2i38
Greater Strathmore Neighborhood Association | Weclome to City Living, Welcome to Strathmore

Sedgwick:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0633...6!9m2!1b1!2i38

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0672...6!9m2!1b1!2i38

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0714...7i13312!8i6656
SEDGWICK FARM NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

Again, both are actually within city limits...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 11:13 AM
 
8 posts, read 3,069 times
Reputation: 20
Wow. Awesome links !

Any real estate agents you might suggest?

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 11:18 AM
 
59,333 posts, read 84,129,768 times
Reputation: 13032
Also, nearby private school options...Strathmore: https://mhrsyr.org/
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=01607647

If they stay private, they tend to go to Bishop Ludden or Christian Brothers Academy, with some going to other public, private or charter schools. Zoned for Corcoran High for public HS.

Sedgwick: Blessed Sacrament School | Syracuse, NY
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=00932135

Cathedral Academy at Pompei
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=A1101643

If they stay private, they tend to go with Bishop Grimes or Christian Brothers Academy, with some going to other private, public or charter options. Zoned for Henninger High for public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2018, 03:31 PM
 
59,333 posts, read 84,129,768 times
Reputation: 13032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, nearby private school options...Strathmore: https://mhrsyr.org/
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=01607647

If they stay private, they tend to go to Bishop Ludden or Christian Brothers Academy, with some going to other public, private or charter schools. Zoned for Corcoran High for public HS.

Sedgwick: Blessed Sacrament School | Syracuse, NY
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=00932135

Cathedral Academy at Pompei
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=A1101643

If they stay private, they tend to go with Bishop Grimes or Christian Brothers Academy, with some going to other private, public or charter options. Zoned for Henninger High for public.
Information about the bolded schools, Ludden: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=00932146
https://www.bishopludden.org/

Grimes: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=00932317
Welcome to Bishop Grimes

Christian Brothers Academy: https://www.cbasyracuse.org/

Some other private schools, Manlius-Pebble Hill(in DeWitt): https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=00938997
https://www.mphschool.org/

Faith Heritage(in the valley neighborhood): https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=00938352
Faith Heritage - Faith Heritage School

Living Word Academy(in Lyncourt): Living Word Academy - A Ministry of the The Church of the Living Word
Living Word Academy - A Ministry of the The Church of the Living Word
Living Word Academy - A Ministry of the The Church of the Living Word
Living Word Academy - A Ministry of the The Church of the Living Word

Blessed Virgin Mary(in Warners): https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=A1101631
Home - Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God Academy
About Us - Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God Academy

Also, Corcoran High has this program on its campus: IB at Corcoran | The Syracuse City School District | Syracuse, NY
International Baccalaureate (IB) Program @ Corcoran High School - Syracuse City School District
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=362859003850
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040887

A special program at Henninger High: Health Careers @ Henninger High School - Syracuse City School District
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=362859003864
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040856

Public elementary for Strathmore: Roberts Pre-K-8 - Syracuse City School District
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=362859003875
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040875

Public elementary and middle school for Sedgwick: Salem Hyde Elementary - Syracuse City School District
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=362859003877
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040878

Lincoln Middle School - Syracuse City School District
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=362859003868
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040861

Magnet HS option: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=362859005977
Institute of Technology @ Syracuse Central (ITC) - Syracuse City School District
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040860

Charter HS option(also has K-8 at 3 school buildings): https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=360010405549
http://sascs.org/
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000056174

Some of the other private options: https://hcschooldewitt.org/ (gets mainly students from the East Side and adjacent suburbs)

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=01904581
Syracuse Hebrew Day School – We Build Community. (same as the previous school)

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=A9104957
New School Syracuse (pretty much the same or similar to the previous 2 schools, all 3 are actually in the town of DeWitt and same goes for the next 2 schools)

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=A9702427
https://www.mssyr.org/

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=A1101694
https://www.montessoridiscoveryschool.com/

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=A0701580
https://sites.google.com/view/asetipphill (mainly those from the outer West Side and adjacent suburbs, perhaps some from Strathmore)

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=00944118
https://www.parkviewjunioracademy.org/ (on the western edge of the city)

Another charter option: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=360007004898
https://www.nhaschools.com/schools/S...rter-School/en
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040667

and another charter HS program: OnTECH - A New Charter High School in Syracuse, NY - OnTECH Charter High School

There are others just outside of and within city limits that could/would work as well.

So, for families that are considering both neighborhoods or any of the city neighborhoods mentioned, this is some school information to consider...

Just to add, the Berkeley Park, Scottholm, Meadowbrook and Bradford Hills neighborhoods are on the city's East Side.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-09-2018 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 10:35 AM
 
59,333 posts, read 84,129,768 times
Reputation: 13032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Information about the bolded schools, Ludden: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=00932146
https://www.bishopludden.org/

Grimes: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=00932317
Welcome to Bishop Grimes

Christian Brothers Academy: https://www.cbasyracuse.org/

Some other private schools, Manlius-Pebble Hill(in DeWitt): https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=00938997
https://www.mphschool.org/

Faith Heritage(in the valley neighborhood): https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=00938352
Faith Heritage - Faith Heritage School

Living Word Academy(in Lyncourt): Living Word Academy - A Ministry of the The Church of the Living Word
Living Word Academy - A Ministry of the The Church of the Living Word
Living Word Academy - A Ministry of the The Church of the Living Word
Living Word Academy - A Ministry of the The Church of the Living Word

Blessed Virgin Mary(in Warners): https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=A1101631
Home - Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God Academy
About Us - Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God Academy

Also, Corcoran High has this program on its campus: IB at Corcoran | The Syracuse City School District | Syracuse, NY
International Baccalaureate (IB) Program @ Corcoran High School - Syracuse City School District
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=362859003850
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040887

A special program at Henninger High: Health Careers @ Henninger High School - Syracuse City School District
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=362859003864
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040856

Public elementary for Strathmore: Roberts Pre-K-8 - Syracuse City School District
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=362859003875
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040875

Public elementary and middle school for Sedgwick: Salem Hyde Elementary - Syracuse City School District
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=362859003877
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040878

Lincoln Middle School - Syracuse City School District
https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=362859003868
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040861

Magnet HS option: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=362859005977
Institute of Technology @ Syracuse Central (ITC) - Syracuse City School District
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040860

Charter HS option(also has K-8 at 3 school buildings): https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=360010405549
http://sascs.org/
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000056174

Some of the other private options: https://hcschooldewitt.org/ (gets mainly students from the East Side and adjacent suburbs)

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=01904581
Syracuse Hebrew Day School – We Build Community. (same as the previous school)

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=A9104957
New School Syracuse (pretty much the same or similar to the previous 2 schools, all 3 are actually in the town of DeWitt and same goes for the next 2 schools)

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=A9702427
https://www.mssyr.org/

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=A1101694
https://www.montessoridiscoveryschool.com/

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=A0701580
https://sites.google.com/view/asetipphill (mainly those from the outer West Side and adjacent suburbs, perhaps some from Strathmore)

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...te&ID=00944118
https://www.parkviewjunioracademy.org/ (on the western edge of the city)

Another charter option: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=360007004898
https://www.nhaschools.com/schools/S...rter-School/en
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040667

and another charter HS program: OnTECH - A New Charter High School in Syracuse, NY - OnTECH Charter High School

There are others just outside of and within city limits that could/would work as well.

So, for families that are considering both neighborhoods or any of the city neighborhoods mentioned, this is some school information to consider...

Just to add, the Berkeley Park, Scottholm, Meadowbrook and Bradford Hills neighborhoods are on the city's East Side.
In terms of those East Side neighborhoods, they are zoned for these public schools: School Home | The Syracuse City School District | Syracuse, NY
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040906

Some in the NE edge of the general area may be zoned for this school: School Home | The Syracuse City School District | Syracuse, NY
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040886

Nottingham High School | The Syracuse City School District | Syracuse, NY
https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000040872

Private school options that families in that general usually go with are mentioned above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2018, 10:11 AM
 
59,333 posts, read 84,129,768 times
Reputation: 13032
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicus View Post
Wow. Awesome links !

Any real estate agents you might suggest?

Thanks !
I can PM some...

This neighborhood on the West Side could be another option as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipperary_Hill

https://www.facebook.com/TipperaryHi...odAssociation/

I would personally suggest the streets west of Avery near Pass Arboretum/Myrtle Hill Cemetary and close to Burnet Park. West of Avery: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0454...6!9m2!1b1!2i38

Near Burnet Park: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0442...6!9m2!1b1!2i38

Many that live in this area with children also go with the neighborhood Catholic school, then Bishop Ludden for private school options. Syracuse Academy of Science is nearby as well.

It is also known for its many pubs and there is an annual running event that takes place there.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-15-2018 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2018, 10:24 AM
 
59,333 posts, read 84,129,768 times
Reputation: 13032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, in terms of a suburban hidden gem in terms of a neighborhood, the Piercefield area of the village of Solvay is a nice area in what is viewed as a more urban, blue collar suburban community: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0514...7i13312!8i6656
Some listings in this area: https://www.cnyrealtor.com/index.php...SC&row=49&pos=

https://www.cnyrealtor.com/index.php...SC&row=55&pos=

Something that people may not know is that Solvay gets its electric from its own municipal company, that is within the NYPA system. So, its rates are much lower than other parts of the area. Electric Dept – Village of Solvay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2019, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
161 posts, read 549,929 times
Reputation: 512
Sedgwick, Strathmore, and Scottholm are the most beautiful neighborhoods in metropolitan Syracuse, without a doubt. Very fine architecture, beautiful trees and gardens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top