Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 05:44 PM

914 posts, read 2,917,850 times

Advertisements

Funny to hear anything positive at all about Syracuse. I've heard it was a dump (not the suburbs, the city itself) with high crime rates and crumbling houses and infrastructure. It makes me sad to hear this, as my parents worked and dated each other while living in Syracuse, and enjoyed it, but this was back in the 1950's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 06:27 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyrobot View Post
Bville is nice, AND beautiful. I also REALLY like Cicero, and North Syracuse. Went to Fayettevill for the first time recently, and its not too bad either.

I don;t know what taxes are like down there, but a word of advice: when house shopping - find out what recent tax assessments have been on silmilarly priced homes in your markets. Our home had been previously assessed over 10 years prior to our purchase, taxes jumped considerably from what was in the real estate ad. It is a significant portion of our monthly payment. We knew that taxes were higher in NY, but weren't quite prepared for this.
North Syracuse is mostly (some of it is in Cicero) in the Town of Clay. Clay is the largest suburb of Syracuse with a population of about 60,000. It is the hub of commercial development in the northern suburbs. It's also where I live. I'll do a picture thread when I get the chance just in case someone is interested in knowing about Clay, NY.

Old 11-23-2006, 04:37 AM

4 posts, read 39,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyrobot View Post
Bville is nice, AND beautiful. I also REALLY like Cicero, and North Syracuse. Went to Fayettevill for the first time recently, and its not too bad either.

I don;t know what taxes are like down there, but a word of advice: when house shopping - find out what recent tax assessments have been on silmilarly priced homes in your markets. Our home had been previously assessed over 10 years prior to our purchase, taxes jumped considerably from what was in the real estate ad. It is a significant portion of our monthly payment. We knew that taxes were higher in NY, but weren't quite prepared for this.
WELL I HAVE A JOB IN SYRACUSE AND ALL NOW I JUST HAVE TO LOOK A THE HOUSING MARKET TO SEE WHATS ON OFTER

Old 11-23-2006, 04:41 AM

4 posts, read 39,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Funny to hear anything positive at all about Syracuse. I've heard it was a dump (not the suburbs, the city itself) with high crime rates and crumbling houses and infrastructure. It makes me sad to hear this, as my parents worked and dated each other while living in Syracuse, and enjoyed it, but this was back in the 1950's.
WELL I THINK SYRACUSE IS QUIET NICE PLACE BUT I LIVE IN IRELAND AND BEEN THERE FIVE YEARS FOR SIX WEEKS SO IM NOT 100% SURE IS IT RELLY THAT BAD?

Old 12-26-2006, 02:53 AM

10 posts, read 56,835 times
My wife and I do NOT want a subdivision, and would prefer to purchase an older home that has 'personality'...but needs 'some' work. I am a carpenter/Handyman, and do most all of my own repairs...I will be offering my services in whichever suburb of Syracuse we live in also. Korn, are there some of these types that I describe available?..But not too awful far away from civilian life?

Old 12-26-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browndago View Post
My wife and I do NOT want a subdivision, and would prefer to purchase an older home that has 'personality'...but needs 'some' work. I am a carpenter/Handyman, and do most all of my own repairs...I will be offering my services in whichever suburb of Syracuse we live in also. Korn, are there some of these types that I describe available?..But not too awful far away from civilian life?
Browndago, I'm happy to help too! I resurrected an old thread called "Salina, NY - suburban Syracuse pictures". The first few photos are of the Village of Liverpool, a village that you might like. I also added a few more pictures of Liverpool in my second post on the Salina thread.

For a more complete response...please check out my answer in the other spot you asked about Syracuse.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,779 times
I'm Looking To Move To Syracuse N.y.i Want To Know The Best Area To Move To.and How Is The Job Market.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portia paulin View Post
I'm Looking To Move To Syracuse N.y.i Want To Know The Best Area To Move To.and How Is The Job Market.
If you are looking to live in the suburbs, most are nice. I'd look at the Baldwinsville area as its one of more popular destinations for newcomers.

As for the job market, if you are an engineer or work in the medical field...you are set. Construction is on the rise locally as many major projects are beginning this summer. Everything else is hit or miss.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:23 AM

30 posts, read 123,760 times
Hey! Congrats on your decision to move. Baldwinsville schools are excellent and it is a really convenient area to live in. I think you will be very happy here! Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area