Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:05 PM

227 posts, read 795,031 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are seriously discussing our options for moving to the Syracuse area. We have some friends there that are more than willing to help us out, so that's great!

I've been looking at houses up to $60,000 range with basements preferably online. I wonder, is there anyone familiar with a town called Nedrow? What is it like and all. Any information is great. I've been reading the forums here daily and loving all the pictures posted. Great information found here.

Do homes in that price range generally need a lot of work too? Any information is great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 11:49 AM

14 posts, read 51,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
My husband and I are seriously discussing our options for moving to the Syracuse area. We have some friends there that are more than willing to help us out, so that's great!

I've been looking at houses up to $60,000 range with basements preferably online. I wonder, is there anyone familiar with a town called Nedrow? What is it like and all. Any information is great. I've been reading the forums here daily and loving all the pictures posted. Great information found here.

Do homes in that price range generally need a lot of work too? Any information is great. Thanks.
Yes houses in those price range do and will need work. But if you or your husband are handy then don't worry about it to much.

Nedrow Is ok.. I cant say a lot, but wouldn't want to live their all my life but its good for someone starting out.

It's got a good school school district and it has Green Hills which is a nice grocery store.

What other areas are you looking at?

Old 04-13-2008, 01:20 PM

The general Syracuse area really. One friend lives in Jamesville and her son I believe right in Syracuse or just outside of Syracuse. I want a decent neighborhood. We don't have any kids or attend school However, we do have dogs and I like a fenced yard for them and to look out my window without the neighbors literally RIGHT there lol.

I can do just about anything job wise. Whether in an office, have worked as a Teller recently for a bank. Hubby does Graphic Design and Pre-press. Currently works for a local newspaper.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:41 PM

59 posts, read 200,211 times
Lilbear,

Nedrow is south of Syracuse in the Valley area. You need to be careful in this area, it can get a little rough. You're price range will limit you a bit, even in Syracuse. The property taxes are very high..Look into that when you are looking at homes. The valley area does have some very nice older homes and some neighborhoods are good. However, some neighbordhoods are not so good and they are very close to one another. It will take some research and a good real estate agent to help steer you in the right direction. If you are interested in the south part of Syracuse, I would look at the area along South Salina Street that is south of Seneca Turnpike (you don't want to be north of the turnpike on S. Salina) stretching down to Green Hills Market. There are some nice blocks in that area off S. Salina and it's convenient to Rte 81 and 481, Syracuse University, and only about 10 minutes to downtown.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:30 PM

Thanks. I appreciate that information. Right now we're not geared toward just the south part. It's just a spot where I found a few places. But how is north of Syracuse? I'm getting the idea it's nicer but I'm not sure if I'm correct in that thinking. I'd like to stay fairly close to our friends.

We're planning to buy and settle down for a while so a decent neighborhood is a big plus. And when it comes to TLC we can handle, as long as it doesn't need a complete flip. Just really don't wanna get into that.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:06 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times
The problem with Nedrow is that it is quite isolated from the rest of the area. Also, the Southside is often considered the worst neighborhood in the city. The blight from the Southside is spreading south toward the Valley and Nedrow. As more and more homes in the city are turning into rentals, the neighborhoods go into a steady decline... until litter, noise, and run-down/over-grown properties become the norm in the neighborhood. Crime generally follows too.

If you are looking for homes under $60,000 and in a nice safe area.... you'd be hard pressed to find much in the eastern suburbs near Jamesville. I'd suggest looking north of the city if you don't mind a 45 minute drive to Jamesville. In the northern suburbs you'll get more house for your money. The Village of North Syracuse is a safe suburb and probably has many homes in the $60,000 range. Parts of North Syracuse look run-down but generally this fact, along with the huge school district, is keeping home prices lower than many other areas.

Mattydale could be another option if you have trouble finding homes below $70,000. Though Mattydale is generally more run-down than North Syracuse. Parts of Mattydale have rentals, which usually bring with it many quality of life problems in the suburbs...like noisy neighbors, litter, junk left out in yards etc. Though...as I understand it... crime is not a major issue in Mattydale.

You might want to take a look at Galeville, the neighborhood south of 7th North Street off Buckely Road. I believe the zip code is Liverpool. It is generally a nice, quiet area very close to Carousel Mall. Used to be home to many older couples, but as they passed away in recent years the neighborhood is slowy diversifying. I know of Asians and Muslims who have recently moved there. Most of the homes are on the smaller side but there are many mature trees in the neighborhood. It was one of first areas built north of the city after WWII.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 04-13-2008 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 04-14-2008, 08:18 AM

Thanks! I'll definitely check all that out.

I only know what we could afford here in the south. That could change when we move north. That's part of the reason we're leaving this area, and to be closer to friends and family.

What can we expect for cost of living? It was mentioned something about high taxes? I know every state is different but I want to do everything we can to prepare for our new life in NY.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:58 AM

Oh and I forgot to ask, what is rent prices like in any of the better areas?

Old 04-14-2008, 10:23 AM

69 posts, read 162,510 times
We are moving from Charlotte to Syracuse the end of the year and the homes that we are looking at are going to give us about a 900-1000 per month mortgage, but we have to add on taxes and home insurance which adds and additional 500-600 per month to the mortgage payment if that gives you a little bit better idea of taxes. Quite a bit more expensive than what we are use to in Charlotte, but I think the quality of life, school systems, outdoor activities, etc. are much better than where we are right now. NY also does not have taxes on personal property (cars, etc.) and they do not have tax on food. It has been 10 years since I last lived in NY and am so excited to move back! Good luck!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:44 AM

We're in South Carolina. The rural parts. I'm originally from Michigan and have lived here with my husband for almost 5 years. I'm expecting to have to pay more to live in NY than in SC but I also expect to get paid more for what we do. We're not in a city-like area and not close enough either, a good hour or more away. So my husband isn't really paid what he should be for his line of work but economy is terrible here. Unless you work for the power plant or you're owner of a construction company, you don't make much money. Our one friend in NY lived here for 2 years and returned to NY and is paying for it now, but he's much better off. So it's not worth it to stay.

But like I said, I want to get a good idea of what to plan for so we don't get any sudden surprises! lol I'm really excited to make a trip up there this summer too. I'm looking forward to having more places to go and things to do. What's the best pub? lol We're only in our 20s, we don't need to be sitting on our front porches in our rocking chairs watching cars go by on the country road lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area